All Topics / General Property / Due Diligence

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of waprincesswaprincess
    @waprincess

I am about to rent out a $350K home and I’ve put all new carpets/paint and curtains in…

Is it considered bad form if I also insist on ringing prospective tenants employers or personally ask after their circumstances even though the realtor swears they’re really careful?

Call me nervous – I just want to get the right people first time – if it’s not asking too much of the universe.

thanks,

P

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Waprincess,

I am assuming your “realtor” is your Property Manager (PM) and if that is the case, let him/her do that on your behalf. Most PMs do reference checks as part of the tenant screening and selection process. If you can’t trust your PM then you should reconsider getting another one that you can feel confident in, and that will act in your best interest.

It is simple, either you do it yourself and save your money and not employ a PM, that is you self manage the property yourself.

OR..

You leave it to the PM to conduct the necessary checks as part of the service that you pay them for.

I think you will find if both you and the PM do a check and the potential tenant learns of it, it would make them less likely to want to proceed with their application; no one wants a paranoid landlord/lady.

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

I would have to agree with Monopoly on this one.

Hard lesson to learn, I tried to be the PM while employing a PM. This really caused unnecessary stress to all involved.

Might be good idea to take a step back, either you manage your property or you employ someone to do the job.

It has taken me 2 years to actually get a good PM, aint an easy road.

Good luck.. Marisa

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.