All Topics / Help Needed! / House with Asbestos roof?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of myoungmyoung
    @myoung

Wondering if anyone has any experience having an Asbestos roof replaced with colourbond/tin and the costs involved. I looked at doing this approx 5 years back and recall it was approx $8 EX for an 12-14 square house. Chance to pick up a +ve flow if the roof replacement isn’t too high.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Myoung,
    We looked at a house with an asbestos roof and made enquiries to how much to get it removed and we had approximations from $5000 – $10 000. And that doesn’t include the colourbond sheeting. THat’s just removal of the asbestos! These are country WA prices.

Needless to say we didn’t buy it, but we bought the house next door…

he roof only needs replacing if it is damaged. I wouldn’t go replacing it until I absolutely had to. Hope this has helped. Probably wont coz the removal costs vary around the country.
    Steph/

Profile photo of myoungmyoung
    @myoung
    Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi myoung,

Asbestos roof sheeting is the ‘sleeper’ in the asbestos debate. It suffers the most weathering and as such is most likely to be degraded to such an extent that the fibres are released into the atmosphere. The effects of the sun, rain, wind and hail lead to the breakdown of sealants and as such fibres can be released into the atmosphere, gutters and subsequently onto the ground in an ongoing manner.

Roof replacement is an expensive exercise as there are process that must be in place while sheeting is removed. Any material disposed off must be done so in an approved manner and discarding at tips can add other costs depending upon where you are.

Another technique sometimes used is ‘encapsulation’ – which is the application of a second, and approved, sealant that extends the life of the roof sheeting.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of myoungmyoung
    @myoung

thanks Derek,

Just trying to avoid my own personal James Hardie!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.