All Topics / General Property / which is best..2 or 3 brm??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

What do people think about this one:
    I have one ip with 3 very small bedrooms.It is soon due for rental.I am concerned whether it may be easier to rent out as 2 larger rooms,if i knock down one wall?? Currently it is rented to a friend,who complains (& i agree) that the rooms are too small.What is the consensus?

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi,

Personally I would NEVER turn a 3br house into a 2br house. I feel it would de-value the house.

Maybe next time rent it to someone you don’t know, then it doesn’t matter so much…

Good luck,

Del

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

I would look in local newspaper at what rentals are going for in area, ie, 2 and 3 bedroom. It cant be too hard a good PM should be able to give you this info.

I would think you would get more for 3 bedroom than 2 large bedroom.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin
    Originally posted by Marisa:

I would think you would get more for 3 bedroom than 2 large bedroom.

Ditto. NEVER swap a 3br for a 2 br.

Cheers
    Greg

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

I think the number of bedrooms which is best is what the rental market is after and willing to pay. If 2 bedroom houses are in demand, they are the best. If 3 bedroom houses are in demand, they are the best. Having said that though, I wouldn’t turn a 3 bedroom house into a 2 bedroom house. You can still find tenants by lowering the rent to the 2 bedroom market rent if you can’t find tenants.

Regards,
    Ozi

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

One of the things the Reno Kings advocate for adding value is turning a 2 bedder into a 3 bedder by reconfiguring some of the spaces. Easier to do in Queensland where much of the housing stock is timber construction. Yep, I’m sure some of those additional bedrooms are on the small size.

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

if you watched ‘the apprentice’ you would know the answer!

if the bedrooms are too small buy a few wall mirrors and that should do the trick. (cielings if youre into that kind off thing!)

misty you are very close to being fired!!

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Out of curiosity, is there an option to install a removable wall? What I had in mind is something like bifolds, stackable or removable panels?

Cost may be an issue of course and may have concerns about noise mitigation but trying to think outside the square.

Would certainly give some flexibility.

Profile photo of clintdbclintdb
    Participant
    @clintdb

Acoustic movable walls can be very (very)expensive – if they’re done properly.

Standard stackables, bifolds etc are not much more than a normal wall, but you get no acoustic separation.

Regards,
    Clint

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Figured as much, maybe a business opportunity there!!!

Sorry for getting off the track, but if you actually did do this, how would you market the property? 3 bedroom I guess!

Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Thanks 4 answers everyone.I will get agent in to assess what price they think i could get as either.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.