All Topics / Help Needed! / $500,000 Smackers !

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of ProdigeeProdigee
    @prodigee

I have recently inherited exactly 1/2 a mill and have little idea of what to do with it. I am leaning towards investing in property. Does anyone have any sound ideas? Would it be wiser to buy many properties in many markets that yield smaller type returns or 1 or 2 million dollar plus properties?[dunny]

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Since you’ve got no idea what to do with I would suggest you put the money in the bank. Many times I have seen business people who have made millions blow it all by trying to become investors. I suggest you spend money on educating yourself, because as Warren Buffet says “the best way to make money is to avoid losing it”.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I would spend some time educating yourself as sugested.

I would also determine what your goals are – you are asking the way without specifying any destination!

Do you own a home?

Age?

Family?

I wouldn’t even imagine making any suggestions on that scarce info.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Todays Hot Rate
    ***3 year fixed – 6.49%***

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of debtdoggdebtdogg
    @debtdogg

Prodigee

I will send you my bank account details !!
    LOL

markk
    Happy Hunting
    http://www.kentscollections.com

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

I agree with Mortgage Hunter. Spend some good money and time on educating yourself! Don’t rush anything. I would place the money in the bank (Term Deposit or other savings plan with high interest) until you know what to do with it. Then once you have done your research and have a plan, then execute it. But either way, with that much equity at your disposal, you are way ahead of most of the beginners in the field :)

Regards,
    Ozi

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

IMHO, I would break it into 20 % cash deposits on quality IP’s.
    Aim for properties that after dep etc are cashflow neutral or mix it up a bit and try to achieve an overall cashflow neutral position.
    Try and keep some cash in an offset account (against one of the Ips) to tackle some of the unforseens etc.
    Sit back, enjoy the ride!.

Unfortunately my inheritance ($600k) was used to flick the ex![angry2][angry2][angry2]but what I said above is what I would have done.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

You are about to become very confused and attract many experts into your life with many theories and opinions of what and how to do it … poor thing!!

When taking advise ask to look at the bank account and assets of the person giving the advise, this will eliminate about 95% of them, you may find that the little Italian green grocer in the corner store will give the best direction of all.

Welcome to my world … Phil

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Prodigee,

I disagree with all the above…

Simply give your money to charity…charity as in me. Yes me, me and more me.

I will make the sacrifice by looking after your money for you and since you don’t know what to do with it or how to spend it, it would be wise to give it to someone who does know how to spend it – that person would be me. Yes me, me and more me.

hehehehe

best regards and this poor guy will be waiting…

till the money comes,

Geo.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Participant
    @qwerty

Hi Resi,

Well, he did ask for people’s opinions………..

What’s your NET worth resi……..[biggrin][biggrin]

don’t worry only joking

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hi qwerky, he he … an old mate of mine told me the secret of GREAT wealth is not to divorse your first wife … sorry [biggrin][biggrin]

My net worth … i don’t have to go to work

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

Prodigee,

On a serious note, be careful! Don’t do anything until you have solid financial advice. If you don’t know what to do with it then park it in a term deposit and then get professional advice. A balanced share portfolio geared to growth might not be a bad long term option if you’re short of investment knowledge. But this is not a recommendation, I’m not qualified to do that.

Just concerned that you might come to this site in good faith looking for answers and get short shrift. Please do be careful and seek some professional advice before you act. Its far too easy to lose that sort of money through poor investment decisions.

BTW, I am not necessarily advocating a “Financial Planner” when I say “Professional Advice”. Just arguing that you need to be informed before you act.

Best Regards,
    Michael.

Participant
    @qwerty

A bit sensitive there Resi!!!

Who cares……… really!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

What are you goals? Do you want cashflow to retire immediately or build it up further by investing in high growth stuff, or a combo.
    I would pay off any non deductible debt first, then get some investment property, using 20% deposits and borrowing the rest. Put some in shares, maybe margin lending, and keep about 10% for investing in high return risky stuff.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of bazzerbazzer
    Participant
    @bazzer

Some of the advice above is ok, but you really need speak to a good, emphasise good, Financial Planner, but one who has a large portfolio of plans avvailable. Paying off non tax deductable debts good, and can even get 6% off BankWest for any small change, more if check around.

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Bazzer,
    just a note, one that has been covered extensively on these forums, is that a Financial Planner is NOT looking into ALL options available. Most are paid by an institution to sell you their products! That is their management fees, shares/property portfolios, etc. So you don’t ever actually own anything yourself. If that is the way you wish to go then you are kind of in the wrong forum……
    Now that I have made you feel all warm and fuzzy, welcome! On these forums you’ll learn more about property investing than you ever thought possible and some will give you grace and go into shares if you choose to do so!

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of Servant HeartServant Heart
    @servant-heart

Hi Prodigee,
    Are you for real!! $500 000 Smackers!!! You are either incredibly smart or incredibly stupid…. which is it? I am new to the forum and read with great interest the advice that experienced investors (check the number of posts they have made) give to new comers like you and I. Very rarely do I make a posting because I learn so much from just reading. Some time ago I came into some $$$ and found myself in a similar position as you and I chose to spend a considerable amount of my cash on educating myslef rather than relying on someone elses advice. It is good advice to put it away and ed ucate yourself. Now I am ready to move forward and start my property investing using a number of strategies (some that I learnt from these forums) one of them using money partners just like you.
    Good luck [2way]

Servant Heart

Profile photo of JULES1JULES1
    Participant
    @jules1

Hi there
    well for a start – keep the news to yourself on how much you have. The good advice above is to educate yourself and stick the dough in a bank for a while until you know how you can best serve your future with the wonderful windfall.

Dont blow it mate. There are plenty of vultures out there just waiting for innocents like you to come out of the woodwork. Imagine how you would feel if you lost the lot. So now take this advice and read some investment books and go to seminars. If you need to see a very good independant financial planner (or 3), and analyse what each of them tells you, because as already stated above – they are out to push their own products but you can obtain some good advice – just keep control of the money yourself. Don’t hand it over to someone else to control for you.

Best of luck – you lucky person.

Jules1

JULES1
    Email Me

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Put the money somewhere secure for now, and sit down and work out what you want to achieve. Knowing your goals is the first step. You need to know what you want to achieve in order to determine what education you require!

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

I would agree with those who say stuff it in the bank and educate yourself. Read books, magazines, newspapers, Websites, investment forums (property & shares), and so on. Go to some of the investors’ groups meetings (I don’t know if this forum has any, but they have regular ones over on Somersoft). Find out who the respected experts are, read their books and perhaps go to some of their seminars.

And while you’re doing all that, work out what your requirements and goals are, and thus what types of investments will suit your needs.

And you probably thought having money would make your life easier [biggrin].

For banking in the meantime, you could either put it in term deposits (look up the best rates on Cannex) or in somewhere like ING Direct. BankWest has a good deal going at the moment: an arrangement essentially identical to ING but paying 6% for the first year then reverting to 5.25%, the same as ING.

Cannex is here: http://www.cannex.com.au/surveys.html

BankWest is here: http://www.abetterdeal.com.au, although there seems to be a problem with that Website as I write this.

ING Direct is here: http://www.ingdirect.com.au

GP

Profile photo of inezinez
    @inez

I agree with what qwerty would do. It would be a dream come true.
    Inez

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.