All Topics / General Property / markets dropped 15 pct

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

i reckon middle ring suburbs – ie those 10-20 km from the melbourne cbd have seen a 10-15 pct drop in price over the last 6 months.

houses that used to ask 440 now asking 380. 380 now asking 340 etc etc.

inner suburbs and ones near the sea holding there price

anyone agree

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Aussie,

It’s an interesting point you make.

I notice that the last round of REIA stats had the Melbourne median house market falling by around 15%.

However, I regularly look through the local paper and see houses in Ringwood etc. sill priced at $350k+.

Sure, I think we are off the highs, and asking price is not necessarily the price you’ll get, but value shaven’t fallen by as much as I would normally expect to bring them back into the realms of affordability for the first-time buyer.

What do other people think?

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

surfing the net – you can get a brand new 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house at point cook for 340k…

im not looking to buy there but that does seem cheap to me.

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Funny you should mention this aussierogue, we get all the Leader suburban newspapers at work and I always pinch the property guide to get an idea of what’s going on.

I was leafing through the latest batch last night and thought exactly the same thing, that houses right now seem a heck of a lot cheaper now than they were 18 months ago, even around the Fitzroy, Collingwood, Preston, Coburg areas which are all within 10km of the CBD.

Cheers
    r

Participant
    @aussierogue

the interesting thing i have found is that the over 20k are holding there own and the middle suburbs are lagging. i think alot of poeple just think they wont be able to afford say a nunawading, point cook, or a coburg and therefore go for ringwood, hoppers crossing and a reservoir instead thus decreasing the gap between the suburbs.

i grew up in burwood and 20 years ago this was alot more expensive than say croydon or mitcham – today they are very similar yet 15 km apart….

if i was a chartist i would say the spread is not nromal and either the middle suburbs are undervalued or the outer suburbs overvalued. probaably a bit of both…

the medium house price seems now to stretch from 15km right out to 35 km…..

i think paert of this has to do with young couples wanting to live inner city. and if they cant they go for the full house and land package in the outer burbs.

not too many want to live in a 35 year old mission brown brick vaneer with carpet and a carport…

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

<<<surfing the net – you can get a brand new 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house at point cook for 340k>>>

I dont know about you guys, but for first home buyers thats still a bloody lot of money.

I remember when I started out back in 1995, a $85k 2 bed unit on beach rd in Parkdale was alot of money for a newly married couple. Houses in Aspendale were $130k. Now they are $350k.

And my income has not really gone up all that much in that time. In fact its the same, as my wife now does not work to look after the kids.

I would hate to be a first home buyer now having to come up with a large deposit or a huge home loan.

So I still reckon we have a bit more to go before house prices are equitable with incomes. When interest rates rise again, you will see further falls in property prices.

Thats my 2 cents.

Participant
    @richmond

spot on yack, I agree.
    r

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

I’m with u Yack … but what about Sydney, a friend of mine (valuer) has had 30 morgagee vals in the last 2 weeks, his prediction is its going to get a lot worse (from a valuer???)

With rates as low as they have been in 35+ years why r people getting into soooo much debt, something has to give !!!

Participant
    @aussierogue

i would like to see a nice 30 pct drop…..lets see…

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Around Carnegie most people’s limit for houses is approx $500k. Yet 12 mths ago renovated Edwardian weatherboards went for $570-580k.

A just built 3br semi-detached on half a block (but very little backyard) attracted no bidders at opening of $470k, with only vendor bids up to $500k before being passed in.

Surely if you’re going to pay $500k, you’d want a whole house, and the market agrees.

The main success has been a tackily renovated but extremely tiny 1br flat sell for $180k. Prices for these have been around the $150-180k range for about the last 12-18 mths.

Auction attendances seem to have picked up in the last month or two but often no one bids and the property is passed in.

Peter

Profile photo of kalonikaloni
    @kaloni

Check Following Link
    http://www.aussiehome.com/trendCharts/vic/
    eg
    Malvern East
    Dec 2003 average $686k
    June 2004 average $540k

To Use
    clear all
    select suburb
    then click plot

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly
    Originally posted by aussierogue:

i reckon middle ring suburbs – ie those 10-20 km from the melbourne cbd have seen a 10-15 pct drop in price over the last 6 months.

houses that used to ask 440 now asking 380. 380 now asking 340 etc etc.

inner suburbs and ones near the sea holding there price

anyone agree

That sounds pretty much on the money aussie, you have observed correctly!!! Although some suburbs within this radius have fallen further than 15% and by as much as 20-25% so how knows, you may get your desired 30% drop after all. Time will tell. [blink]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Wow, that is big $$ losses…

Makes you wonder why anyone would consider buying for capital gain in this market?

To me, they are the real lemmings…

Del

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Wilandel,

Smart investors would not be buying for immediate capital gains in this current market, they would be buying because the percentage drop allows them to pick up deals “at bargain basement” prices, and with methodically researched strategy, should be able to secure a well reduced property price with future CG potential.

It’s all part of the correction; nothing to be too alarmed about. It’s happened before, and I daresay will do so again in future years to come….think of it as the “calm before the storm”.

BTW increased popularity for properties further than 20km to CBD is attributed to several factors, one of which of course is affordability, however, it also has to do with a recalculation of things like “average travelling time (to work)” which years ago was approx. 30 mins, whereas today it has extended to approx. 60-75 mins.

It’s all a part of change, which is always needed, but rarely welcomed by most. [blush2]

Cheers,

Jo

Participant
    @richmond

I agree Monopoly, it’s not a time to be alarmed, it’s a time to be licking ones lips if one is prepared. I wouldn’t say we’re at bargain basement time just yet, but there’s certainly some red spot specials about… it will be interesting to see the impact of a couple of small rate rises (even half a percent)… but then again, the fixed 3 year rates at some banks are lower than the current variable rate. I don’t know what to make of that.

Cheers
    r

@yack

I am no economist – but think i know enough to be dangerous.

I believe in markets and how they do over time find their natural level.

We are at historical low interest rates. Incomes have not gone up much. So to get back into a natural balance where incomes can support property prices in relation to the interest rate – property prices must fall.

Profile photo of summersummer
    @summer

I am sure inner city bayside apartments have dropped a bit from 18 months ago. I was just looking(for fun) around elwood and they were abuot 320,000 older style by the beach and there seems to be a few on the market for high 200’s. They did predict Melbourne would drop it was going mad. Is anyone still buying? I am keen on an outer bayside suburb but i suppose you would have to be very carful to buy right in this marker.

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

On the northern Beaches of Sydney, house prices have definately dropped.Some mates of mine who are selling, can’t attract people even to inspect their houses.Buyers are just not interested.
    When one did receive an offer, the offer was ridiculously low. Claims he would rather burn the bloody thing to the ground before selling at that offered price.
    I’m sill waiting for the market to bottom out. I believe it still has a way to go.

bruham. [withstupid]

Profile photo of HousesOnlyHousesOnly
    Participant
    @housesonly

It amazes me how people who bought a home for $40K 20 years ago talk about making a loss if they sell the home for $500K rather than their asking price of $540K! How does that work!

@yack

<<<<<It amazes me how people who bought a home for $40K 20 years ago talk about making a loss if they sell the home for $500K rather than their asking price of $540K! How does that work!>>>>

Its probably got something to do with compounding and the time value of money.

And $40k is a years salary for many people.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.