All Topics / General Property / Besser block……GOOD?/ BAD?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of sulosulo
    @sulo

Hi!

I am thinking of investing on an ex-housing commission house made of besser block.
    Does any one know of any pro’s and cons of besser block? (Appart from the obious horrible look)
    Is it difficult to rent out? Cold Hot? Cheap? stay away?

Thanks for you input.

Profile photo of marsdenmarsden
    @marsden

Usually very solid – especially well built housing commision houses.

However, if there is any evidence of cracking it may indicate a serious problem. Have a building inspection done.

They are a bit unattractive but “bagging” or rendering will improve the look. Even a new coat of paint.

Regards Marsden

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Marsden beat me to it.

I have seen them come up a treat with just a coat of paint!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Todays Hot Rate
    ***3 year fixed – 6.49%***

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

The inside of one of my properties is Besser Brick. During summer its great and a bit cold during winter.

Its painted on the inside and looks ok. The big positive – tenants can do no damage like punch in walls.

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

I was one of many who built the Exmouth(US)Communication Base in the north of West Aussie, with besser blocks.
    The place was built to be atomic bomb proof.And it was!
    Double row of besser blocks,reinforced steel and filled with concrete.Concrete roofs.Triple glazed windows.
    We made a building error,so we had too cut a hole in one of the walls.I still have hightmares over that repair job.Almost as bad as knocking down a wall in the confessinal at St Marys Catheral in North Sydney.Those catholics must have had some ripper confessions.The wall was two metres thick.
    Anyway, back to besser blocks. I built my swimming pool in besser blocks.After it was cement rendered, you would never know.Plus it will last for ever.No steel involved so no rust problems.The Rolls Royce of pools.
    Sulo, if you think the cost of cement rendering the house is worth it,go for it.It will definately increase the value and the house is near bomb proof.
    bruham. [withstupid]

Profile photo of murph38murph38
    @murph38

Sulo,
    I currently live with my family in a Besser Block house and it looks fine inside and out, due to a coat of paint.
    They provide great insulation as in NQ, they sheild the heat beautifully, dropping the inside temp about 5 degrees.
    And yes Yack was right, it is bloody hard to damage a house with concrete walls!!!.
    Only downfall I have found that if any maintenance has to be carried out, it can prove a tad difficult due to not being able to expose the inside of the wall….

ps. great for keeping out the termites also (they don’t eat concrete!!)

Have fun,
    Murph[strum]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.