All Topics / Help Needed! / trusts in NZ

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of pplaterpplater
    @pplater

I have one ip in nz and want to buy more I have an australian trust but have been told I can’t borrow money in nz through the trust,can anyone tell me the best way around this ? should I setup an nz trust.I also have a pty company they tell me i can borrow through it in nz but it needs to be registered there (the company is the trustee of my trust).
    my trust was setup online without any hassels at all, can i do the same for nz?

thanks
    wayne

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

approach your solicitor and accountant on legal and tax issues

but for simple answers, id PM castledreamer, Min and Westan – i believe they’ve done what your after.

regards,
    Geo.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of masteraccountantsmasteraccountants
    @masteraccountants

Hi Wayne,

You can set up companies online in New Zealand. I have not heard of doing it online with trusts. Trust are important legal documents, and getting it right is important for the best legal and tax outcomes.

Either you or your Australian trustee company can be the trustee of a New Zealand Trust. As long as your settlor is a New Zealand resident (can be me), the Trust will be a Qualifying Trust. This means that the capital gains will not be taxed in New Zealand.

The NZ Trust structure also allows you to not pay CGT in Australia – as long as no capital gains sourced distributions are made. Capital distributions can be made with no tax consequences.

Contact castledreamer. She has been in contact with my firm and has made enquiries about a Trust structure. Otherwise, you can email me for more information, free Rental Property booklet, fact sheets, etc.

Christopher Raynal
    Master Accountants Group Limited
    PO Box 46018 Herne Bay
    Auckland New Zealand
    Ph +64 9 360 3259
    Fax +64 9 360 2180
    http://www.masteraccountants.co.nz

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

Hi Chris,

Originally posted by masteraccountants:

The NZ Trust structure also allows you to not pay CGT in Australia – as long as no capital gains sourced distributions are made

I’ve just been reading up some stuff on Australia’s Transferor Trust provisions and am wondering how this would affect most Australian-resident investors using NZ trusts?

It seems that if an Australian resident (or entity) moves funds to a NZ trust then they may be taxed in Australia on the NZ trust profits whether they actually get a distribution or not.

Do you know of this and whether it would normally apply – or how to get around it if it does?

Thanks.

GP

Profile photo of Goode1Goode1
    @goode1

Hi Wayne

We have trusts set up in Aus. We set them up thru Bruce Whiting of Mint Corporate Structures telephone 9299 7924, [email protected]. He would be a great person to ask. For finance questions we recommend Roslyn Hacket, Topline Finance (02) 4627 1236, email [email protected]. Sorry can’t give you any direct answers but may they can.

Good luck
    Diane

Goode1

@masteraccountants

Hi GP,

It looks like we have some budding legal eagles out there! It’s great that you are doing research to be better informed.

Okay, let’s have a look at the ATO transferor trust provisions. What you are referring to is –

“Under transferor trust measures, tax is imposed on a taxpayer where they have transferred property or services to a non-resident discretionary trust or, after 12 April 1989, to a non-resident non-discretionary trust for inadequate or no consideration. They may have certain income of the non-resident trust included in their assessable income.”

The operative words are “property” being transferred for “inadequate or no consideration”. So we are talking about assets being transferred for less than their market value.

We are not talking about “funds” or “money” being transferred for less than it’s market value. It is not possible to transfer money for less than its value.

I hope that this helps.

Christopher Raynal
    PO Box 46018 Herne Bay
    Auckland New Zealand
    Ph +64 9 360 3259
    Fax +64 9 360 2180

@greatpig

Hi Chris,

It looks like we have some budding legal eagles out there!

Well in this case it’s more that I was talking to an accountant here about transferring funds to a NZ trust and he said I might be subject to these provisions. So I thought I’d read up on them myself first before letting him charge me money to do it for me [grad].

The operative words are “property” being transferred for “inadequate or no consideration”.

I think the “inadequate or no consideration” phrase only applies to the non-discretionary trust, which is not clear in the quote you gave. In the document I’m reading (the ATO’s foreign income return form guide) it makes it clearer:

If you have transferred property or services to a non-resident trust estate,the profits of the trust may be attributed to you —that is,the profits may be included in your assessable income even though you have not received a distribution from the trust.

You will be regarded as a transferor if you:

• have at any time transferred property or services to a non-resident discretionary trust estate or

• transferred property or services after 7.30 p.m. on 12 April 1989 to a non-resident trust estate that is non-discretionary for either no consideration or for consideration less than an arm ’s length amount.

And the glossary defines “property” to include money.

So it would seem to me that the transferring of money to a NZ discretionary trust would be subject to these provisions.

One possibility that may help me, given that I have family in NZ, is where it mentions exempted income:

In determining the attributable amount,the net income of a non-resident trust estate is reduced by the following amounts to the extent they relate to amounts included in the net income of the trust estate:

• amounts that have been included in the assessable income of a beneficiary under section 97 of the Act —that is, amounts to which a beneficiary is presently entitled.

So if I always distributed capital gains to only NZ beneficiaries then perhaps I’d be okay (and presumably they’d have no tax to pay either).

Although I thought I read or heard somewhere that even if the property was bought in an Australian trust, foreign-sourced income distributed to a non-resident beneficiary would not be taxed in Australia either (but I’d have to ask about that to be sure – there might still be some witholding tax).

From my reading of this document it appears I could have a problem (and thus so potentially could other people), but it’s looking like I might have to pay the accountant here money after-all to check it out properly for me [eh].

How much simpler life would be without tax…

Regards,
    GP

Profile photo of recoverymanrecoveryman
    @recoveryman

hi
    I think I could save you some money
    my accountant has looked at this and he belives
    I would be up for more tax in a trust situation than my own name
    I have requested that he speak to a tax lawyer to find out more as it is important question for me
    will keep you all informed
    glenn

“I should be content to look at a mountain for what it is and not as a comment on my life” D. Ignatow

@masteraccountants

Hi GP,

You have still not picked up on the operative words of “for inadequate consideration”. What this means is where property, including money, is transferred to the Trust for less than its market value.

In the case of real estate property, it would be where property worth $500 000 is transferred for $400 000. Can you see what the ATO is trying to stop or capture if it does happen?

In the case of money, the loan is recorded as full value (naturally), then it is written off or gifted away. This is how money would be transferred at less than its market value.

My earlier comment that money could not be transferred at less than market value is correct, as it can be done no other way. However, the loan can be written off or gifted, and ATO have other rules to cover that situation as well as these rules – the transferor trust rules.

The question about an Australian Trust being able to distribute foreign sourced capital gains tax-free to a non-resident beneficiary would have to be addressed to an Australian tax accountant.

I suspect that the Australian Trust has earned the income and will be assessed on it by the ATO. Where the distribution is made to a non-resident, higher non-resident income tax rates would apply.

A non-resident receiving a distribution from the Australian Trust would still have to lodge an Australian income tax return. I had situations in Australia where I did just that.

Christopher Raynal
    PO Box 46018 Herne Bay
    Auckland New Zealand
    Ph +64 9 360 3259
    Fax +64 9 360 2180

@greatpig

Hi Chris,

You have still not picked up on the operative words of “for inadequate consideration”.

Well as I mentioned, from what I’ve read this term doesn’t apply to discretionary trusts, which I gather is what we’re talking about for NZ. For discretionary trusts there is no mention of the amount of consideration, so I assume the provision would equally apply for full consideration.

My understanding of the purpose of the rule is to catch people who do pretty much what you’re suggesting: form foreign discretionary trusts to accumulate wealth overseas without paying tax on the income or gains in Australia.

But as I say, I’m going have to get the accountant here to look into it in more detail. I’ll mention this aspect to him and see what he says.

And he did mention other FIF provisions that might apply, but I haven’t had a chance to read through all that stuff yet.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    GP

@masteraccountants

Hi GP,

On a closer reading of the provisions quoted, you are correct. The version I had downloaded from the internet did not clarify as well as yours the first and second limbs.

The for less than adequate consideration rule applies only to the non-discretionary foreign trusts.

The Foreign Investment Fund (FIF) rules won’t apply to trusts that you beneficially own and control. Those rules are only for foreign trusts where you have a small percentage ownership.

There is de minimus rule in the transferor trust provisions that is interesting. I am pasting it below –

“De minimis exemption

The de minimis exemption ensures that the transferor trust measures do not apply to small amounts derived by a trust estate in a broad-exemption listed country.

The de minimis exemption is worked out having regard to the total of the attributable incomes of all trust estates for which a taxpayer is an attributable taxpayer. The de minimis exemption will be satisfied if the total of the attributable incomes of all the trust estates is equal to or less than the lesser of:

$20 000 or

10 per cent of the total of the net incomes of those trust estates.

If these tests are satisfied, the attributable income of broad-exemption listed country trust estates will not be included in the assessable income of the attributable taxpayer. The attributable income from the non-broad-exemption listed country trust estates would still be included. “

New Zealand is a broad-exemption listed country, so the de minimus rule applies to income of the trust. There will be no need to report income in an Australian resident’s tax return where the above criteria apply.

There is another legal article that I have found that offers different options and interpretations, so I may be able to post some better news shortly.

Christopher Raynal
    PO Box 46018 Herne Bay
    Auckland New Zealand
    Ph +64 9 360 3259
    Fax +64 9 360 2180

@recoveryman

I am so confused/[buz2]

“I should be content to look at a mountain for what it is and not as a comment on my life” D. Ignatow

@recoveryman

I am so confused/[buz2]

@recoveryman

I am so confused/[buz2]

@greatpig

Hi Chris,

The de minimis exemption will be satisfied if the total of the attributable incomes of all the trust estates is equal to or less than the lesser of:

$20 000 or

10 per cent of the total of the net incomes of those trust estates.

I can see there still being a problem if there are no NZ beneficiaries to distribute the capital gains to. If you tried to retain all capital gains in the trust, then it would likely all become attributable income, and would also likely form the majority of the trust’s net income. So the attributable income, even if less than $20K, would not be less than 10% of the total net income.

I think this means that essentially 90% of the trust’s income (including gains) would have to be distributed to beneficiaries (the main method of making it exempt from attributable income) to enable the remaining income to be less than 10% of the total.

There is another legal article that I have found that offers different options and interpretations

One thing that concerns me about different legal interpretions is that unless there’s a clear court ruling on the matter, which I think would then be available in the ATO legal database, I could be the one forking out for a court case to establish the ruling (and quite possibly losing!).

Perhaps one way to partly get around it might be to transfer the money by stealth. On each trip to NZ, each person take out $9,999 in cash in a brown paper bag and deposit it in NZ. After a few trips over, there’d be enough for a deposit with no official funds transfers [whistle].

Regards,
    GP

@greatpig
    Originally posted by recoveryman:

I am so confused

I think that is the primary aim of tax legislation [:D].

GP

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.