All Topics / Opinionated! / Is Australia a racist country?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Funny, this topic isn’t it!

Americans in Irac shooting the last of the Rebel Insurgents – good on’em! God bless America! Yeeeeehaaaa.

If the roles were reversed, Americans fighting the Irac invaders (notice the subtle change in frazing), then the Americans would be called Freedom-fighters…….

Curse the media!

….watch the feathers fly…..

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted

LoL thats why its American and Iraqi forces battling the rebel insurgents. But if it was Iraqi forces battling rebel insurgents it wouldnt be news ;-)

but i see what you mean. Was similar a few yrs ago when california bush fires killed 10 or so americans and 2 million (ok im exagerating) indians got killed in a train derailement near Deli….you already know what made the news for the next week after and what gets 5 minutes airtime.

“Never argue with an idiot, as they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience”

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Hi Marc,

Hmmmm…a lot of what you said sounded a bit like
    the kind of person that would say ‘I’m not racist but, those XYZ’s, they aren’t like us’ – which is racist y’see.

Ie…quoting you
    “The divisions that are alive today are due to …..blah blah blah….. we are by no means equal. We are substantially different all of us….blah blah blah”

There is no weakness in uniting, only strength.

It’s only fear/ego stuff that thinks “I am such an important individual, I am different and better and more special than you, I deserve this and you don’t, blah blah blah.”

Typical Pauline Hanson/Hitler (racist) stuff.

joy to the world

Participant
    @minimogul

super ted, “you already know what made the news for the next week after and what gets 5 minutes airtime.” yes indeed, which is what is wrong with the media in the US. More than 5 percent foreign content and people change channels, because they are not interested….

that kind of explains why America is the way it is. the poor little couch potatoes can’t help it, because it’s all they’re given

joy to the world

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Hi Mini,

FWIW I agree with you about the American media… but isn’t referring to a nationality in a condescending way – “that kind of explains why America is the way it is. the poor little couch potatoes can’t help it, because it’s all they’re given” – a bit discriminatory in itself? Or is it okay to criticise one country/race and not another depending on which way the politically correct wind is blowing?

Cheers
    r

Participant
    @minimogul

richmond,

ok fair comment, and YAY!!! about the agree part!

I was only calling them all ‘poor little’ because the americans get only the “news that will attract viewers” i.e ‘about US!!’ , so they don’t get the whole global picture. They get a bias. And so, “biased” becomes their “truth”=

They believe, “because it was on TV – it must be true. they have laws that they can’t show it on TV unless it is true!”….but as we know that is bogus, and furthermore, the reverse does not apply, which is that if it wasn’t on TV it didn’t happen…

and with ‘couch potatoes’ I meant the national US trend over there that people want more and more home entertainment (couch-based) and so are getting more obese. (not that US couch potatoes are any differnt than Aussie ones – i think maybe it’s a global trend??)

I stayed with these people in Montecito (millionairesville, CA) a few years ago, just after September 11- it was probably around October 11. (hey the airfares were real cheap…) I was gutted cause I was a guest and couldnt’ be disagreeing with them in their own home, would have been rude – but at the same time I just couldn’t believe these people’s attitudes and indignation – they said “why wouldn’t any countries like America? All we do is help other countries!” – they were also (scarily) supposedly educated. I’m sure they knew lots about the Mayflower and bugger all about i.e. Kuwait)

It wasn’t a matter of disagreeing with someone’s politics, cause I know that’s par for the course sometimes. Not that I know much about US politics anyway.

It was the fact that they really didn’t know what was going on in the world, because it have never made the news.

when I asked them but “what about when the US did this and that and the other”, they said ‘that’s not true! it can’t be! We would have heard about it if it had happened like you said.”

I REST MY CASE!! That’s the spooky bit!

Michael Moore – and I have never seen a movie of his yet, though I intend to – at least is showing something other than the ‘US news-bias’ (even if it’s just another bias in itself, i.e. Michael Moore Biased,) and even if all MM is doing is showing people there is a bias, that’s valid.

Back to my hosts…worse was when a senator came and stayed for the weekend, complete with miami golf tan, a winning superwhite smile, and HE was just as bad. I mean lovely, charming, but just as clueless about the REST OF THE WORLD!!!!

So in amongst that previous post of me thinking ‘these people are about as smart as it gets in the US – if these ‘educated’ Boston people don’t know jack about what their country gets up to in the world on their behalf, who does?’

hence the ‘it’s not their fault poor little’….remark.

You got to get the truth to people’s homes via television, at the moment it’s the best way, as people are too busy for anything else with their lives….

joy to the world

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

When I was in Boston, the local TV news had a “1 minute world” section on it to bring all the big stuff from around the globe… complete with stopwatch counting down.

One night, there was a piece about New York in it, which is all of a couple of hours away. [rolleyes2]

Participant
    @minimogul

Yah….i.e. evidence that what I am saying is true -t hey don’t get news about the rest of the world in the US. (and if it ain’t on the news, it didn’t happen.)

so if I sum up by saying ‘it’s not their fault, it’s the media’, would you agree or disagree? …oh news media guru?

joy to the world

OH BTW Richmond did I ever say i LOOOVED hanging out with you in Melbourne that time, I thought you were real brainy and awesome and good company etc

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo
    Originally posted by Marc1:
    In Japan to acquire citizenship you must live in Japan for 3 generations. Then pass a detailed scrutiny and a test to see if you have really become a Japanese. An inspector will come to your house and see what kind of foods you cook, what furniture you use, what cloths. Any smell of foreign food or customs will mean rejection to your application.

Where did this snippet of fantasy come from ? I have a good friend who is now a Japanese citizan. The only real issue he had was finiding a traditional Japanese surname similar to his own so it could be written in Kanji. He has lived in Japan for 15 years.

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

So Baloo, you have a friend in Japan. Good for you. I have two half sisters a step mother and an array of relatives.

How many Koreans do you know persoanlly who live in Japan and had their application rejected after living in Japan 50 years? How many children born in Japan from Korean parents do you know personaly, that had their application rejected?

I hope your give more thought to your RE deals then the thought you seem to give to your post.

As means of entretainment read the post below. I cannot guarantee it’s accuracy but it does give you an inside in the way Japanese think and act.
    http://www.debito.org/naturalization1.html

Prosit!

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

marc 1 – is there any significance that you only refer to koreans….what about other nationalities??? do they have the same problems as koreans or do the japanese and koreans have a unique relationship???

btw i thought koreans and japanese were of the same race. so this could be more of a cultural/historical issue rathan than rascist one!

Participant
    @1winner
    Originally posted by aussierogue:

marc 1 – is there any significance that you only refer to koreans….what about other nationalities??? do they have the same problems as koreans or do the japanese and koreans have a unique relationship???

btw i thought koreans and japanese were of the same race. so this could be more of a cultural/historical issue rathan than rascist one!

As usual Aussie is right on the money. Yes Japan and Korea have a feud that goes back a long time. Yet Japanese consider their culture superior to other asians and will go to extreems to preserv it. Are Korean and Japanese the same race? Hum, to us westernes may be, but if I that am not Japanese can pick a Korean from a Japanese from his looks, just like I can pick a Vietnamese from a Chineese, how much more them?

Are Japanese racist? it depends on the definition but in broad terms one can say that Japan has a racist culture and racist legislation, and they ae not alone. Zimbawe is a racist country, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland to name a few are racist countries. Australia in comparison is the most tolerant and tame country on the face of the planet. Australia and Australians are not racist by a country mile, what am I saying… a nautical mile.

Marc

Participant
    @aussierogue

so marc 1 – you reckon the japanese consider there culture to be more superior. if any culture really believes this then they are shortsighted and far from as developed as they may think…

they are a bad example and im not sure why they were used in the first place…

i believe you are trying to define rascism by saying one culture is more rascist than the other. the truth is rascism comes in many forms – some are in your face (legislation, immigration poilices etc etc) and some are subtle/subliminal (general overall belief that ones culture/people are more important than the other)

both are bad and equally as prevalent.

i suggest you watch a documentary called ‘blue eyes’ and see how rascism and prejudice is not necessarliy perpetrated by a man in a hood, but rather by all of us, everyday….

Participant
    @1winner

Agreed, everyone is racist in a way or another. In Sydney there are a lot of ethnic clubs. The Croatian Club, the Serbian club, the Uruguayan Club, The Apia Club, the Polish, Hubertus you name it, we got it.
    Are this an expression of racism?

Sorry for being so repetitive but depends what you mean by racism. Do Polish people go to that club because they think it is better than the Serbian one? Of course! Do they think they are better than? Absolutely! Does that make them racist? Well I don’t think so, but that is my opinion.

And this will inevitably bring us to a practical application of racism yes or no.
    In Australia we went from a policy of integration to a policy of multiculturalism.
    Today talking about integration is talking red neck bigot racist. Why?

Multiculturalism has his good side, mainly recognition that we are different and not all the same, recognition of the values of each group, but has become a tool for dis-integration, a tool that brings the majority into disrepute if they even consider to demand some sort of acceptance of mainstream expectations to adhere to some minimal social / cultural rules.

If you want examples you only have to look at the Auburn Council and it’s anti-Christmas rules. Want another example? Some corporations go to great length to abolish any religious hint from staff, banning even the wearing of a crucifix around your neck … yet … Muslim women are allowed to work in their cultural attire regardless of the fact that it is blatant religious/cultural propaganda, subsidised by foreign countries and that imply to other women “you are a whore if you don’t ware a scarf like I do.”

So to suggest that Australians are a racist country is ludicrous. We are not only not racist we are borderline with fools.

Marc

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo

Marc, congratulations on your relatives living in Japan, I hope they enjoy it there as much as I did. I wonder if they know my Japanese wife, my parents in law, siblings in law and multitude of other friends we have there.

I have a friend who decided to become a Japanese citizen and is now a Japanese passport holder. Your presumption that he was my only contact to the country was way off the mark.

Now back to your original claim about the requirements to gain Japanese citizenship, what fantasy novel does that come from ?

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Having visited/lived in a fair few countries I reckon that Australia does very well comparatively on the racism issue.

At the end of the day can you remove racism – I don’t know – ‘stranger danger’ is built into our genes, hence our desire to identify with specific groups of people or a flag.

Personally I’d like to see racism end completely.

That way we could concentrate our attention as the human species on ensuring we don’t let the chimps and dolphins in! [biggrin]

Cheers,

Aceyducey

PS: How come no-one ever talks about species-ism?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

– Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Participant
    @aussierogue

marc – i see your point regarding ghettos of multiculturalism. you comments make sense ……….however!!!!!

when i see a pole decide to go to a polish club rather than a serbian one i dont see someone who thinks they are better than a serb. although they may reason that they are better amongst themeselves. i just see someone who fears other people and other cultures…

so yes it IS rascist and the europeans are some of the worst (being european myself). i have alslo lived in asia and i see rascisim alive and well between the ethnic malays and the chinese, the koreans and the japanese, the indians (amonsgst themselves depending on cast)..but the point is that its not logical – its all based on fear…

so our responsibility as a free thinking developed coutnry is to make decisions based on the truth rather than fear.

world best practice. worlds best practice in tolerance.

as far as crucifixes and hijab scarfs go – its easy to find contradictions if you look for them – they will always be there and we should do our best to iron them out.

muslims living in australia dont believ ethat western woman are whores because they dont wear scarfs – that is an inflamitory comment. there might be a small percentage who have feelings of resentment to westerners for our freedom and try and explain this by saying we are immoral – but by living in our country long enough they will soon realise this is not the case.

there will always be hardliners whose ideas you will never change whether they be muslims, christians, jews, wogs or skips…

your suggestion that aussies are borderline losers becasue somehow these people are taking advantage of us is ludicrous. try walking a mile in there shoes and see if you still feel like the winner..

Participant
    @1winner

Racism based on fear? … mm, that is a way of seeing it, I think about racism more like stereotyping, usualy of derogatory characteristics and making them extensive to a group that is easily identifiable by exterior racial markers, and using such stereotyping to denigrate said group.

Yet the fact above may lead us to err on the said of caution. One funny example is the way the police has been banned from describing a suspect, and how it is no longer possible to describe racial features. Fancy that. -“The police saw the suspect who is an err em he/she and may be tanned with stylish hear, of nice appearance has two legs and is a human.”

In my days of working in compliance in the welfare industry I have seen a disproportionate number of cases of fraud committed by a narrow group who considers robbing a westerner or his government a reason to be proud of. As much as this can be easily stamped out by using simple logic, and we where able to do this in collaboration with the ATO in the taxi industry very successfully, it is no longer allowed and we lose millions just so that we are not seen as being racists.

So hei, Aussie are not racist, yet we house a big array of foreign groups, some who are unfortunatley very racist against white westerners and their families and proud of it.

Participant
    @aussierogue

marc – you are ranting. fraud is better than genocide…

we have a lot to answer for

cheers

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Wouldn’t it be nice if we answered each other without all the personal attacks?! As in:
    Marc 1, I totally disagree with you! Fraud is better than genocide..

we have a lot to answer for

Cheers

Cheers

C@34

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.