All Topics / Opinionated! / Which credit card?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

Hi all,

I am looking to get a credit card. I’ve never had one before, so I am a little clueless. Basically, I want something with low/no fees, interest free period of say 30-60 days, and something that can be used world-wide (including NZ when I make my trip down there soon [biggrin]). Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have had a look at Visa cards from the Commenwealth bank… their fees start at $30 (i think). Virgin’s mastercard has no fees, 55 day interest free period, and plenty of rewards. Has anyone got a Virgin mastercard? Are they any good?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Ozi

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi ozi,
    yes I have one of those evil things! Virgin M/C doesn’t have any annual fees and we are currently paying 12.4% interest.
    Nothing really good or bad to say – it is a credit card BUT Virgin buy their credit from Challenge (Westpac Banking Corp) who we left for Virgin (funny enough) and their internet statements are allways late! I check my balance daily (old habit of being a bank jonny) and it can take them up to a week to catch up with your purchases before they list tehm. Another irritation is that they sometimes block uot more money (availablility) than what you’ve actually spent. This usually happens around Christmas time! That can also take a week or two.

Their benefits relate to ‘Mates Rates’, something I can’t tell you of, because where I live their Mates aren’t! So if you live away from the CBD and aren’t in a position to get there easily, you miss out on them. I didn’t get the Virgin M/C for its benefits!

Hope that helps.

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I am on a professional package with Comm Bank. Got a platinum Card which gets 1 Qantas point for each $1 spent. Dont worry about interest rate – pay balance each month.

Also got an ANZ Qantas Visa. Also get 1 point for each $1 spent. Mostly use to pay property expenses. Also pay balance each month.

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by calvin@thirty4:

Nothing really good or bad to say – it is a credit card BUT Virgin buy their credit from Challenge (Westpac Banking Corp) who we left for Virgin (funny enough) and their internet statements are allways late!

I have spoken to a friend about this and he says that most credit cards are like this. He claims that it’s not normally the banks fault for the delayed listing of purchases, as it is normally the stores where you purchase from who are late in sending the transactions to the banks.

I think i’ll go for the Virgin mastercard… Heck it’s free and i’m pretty good at managing my cashflow, so I shouldn’t have to worry about interest. Also, the rewards may be a bonus, but I’m not too fussed about them as most of the rewards offered by credit cards are useless I believe and are normally paid for indirectly some way or another.

If anyone else has comments about the Virgin mastercard, I’d like to hear your opinions.

Regards,
    Ozi

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school
    Originally posted by yack:

I am on a professional package with Comm Bank. Got a platinum Card which gets 1 Qantas point for each $1 spent. Dont worry about interest rate – pay balance each month.

Also got an ANZ Qantas Visa. Also get 1 point for each $1 spent. Mostly use to pay property expenses. Also pay balance each month.

Hi Guys,

quite agree, have also the same package and deal with CBA, and their Platinum card rocks.

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted
    Originally posted by yack:

Standard card is 1 point for every dollar up to $1500/month …then drops to .5point to every dollar

Gold card is 1 point for every dolar up to $2500/month …..then drops to .5point to every dollar.

Thats why they are (ANZ) trying to entice customers with a doggey diners card at the old 1:1 ratio.

“Never argue with an idiot, as they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience”

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted

OZI go here and have a look http://www.infochoice.com.au/

“Never argue with an idiot, as they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience”

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Wow!

That was the biggest BUT I have seen all day!

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help!

Regards,
    Ozi

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Sorry Terryw,
    I got a bit carried away with the sizing…….

….. I like big butts and I cannot tell a lie……..

wot more can I say?

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

Try this too – http://www.membersequity.com.au

Pretty damn cheap

Cheers

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Ring up my wife she has a BLACK BELT in American express[blush2][blush2][blush2]

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Cremin and I have an Ezybank one with Woolies/commbank. It’s a fairly low int rate of 14 or 15% and you get 1 qantas frepuent flyer point per $. Plus the money you spend at woolies, you get 1 1/2 to 2 points per dollar.

We’ve only had it 6 months and have racked up 18,000 in the meanwhile. We make sure we pay it off each month and it’s only $30 a year fees.

Ummm… Oh internet banking is pretty swift. GEnerally 1-2 days to show up on account, but it you transfer money from a diff commbank account, it is effective on credit card immediately. That’s what I really like…

I’ve had ANZ before. wasn’t really happy with all the fees they slug you.
    Cheers
    Steph.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.