All Topics / Help Needed! / investing in far north qld

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of landt64landt64
    Participant
    @landt64

hi,
    does anyone have any thoughts in investing in far north qld? I’ve seen a couple of properties that would fit the 11 second rule but I’m not sure if it’s a big enough town.I’d appreciate the help.
    thanks
    landt[blink]

Profile photo of investroninvestron
    @investron

Where in far north QLD

Profile photo of landt64landt64
    Participant
    @landt64

Hi investron,
    I’ve been looking in mount isa.
    landt.

@investron

I live near Cairns, too far North East I’m sorry.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Land,

Recommend you do a search (top left under forum boards) and see what comes up.

Mt Isa has come up before and you’ll find some comment there about MI.

For me the more important question is – is the property a good long term investment. Meeting the 11 sec rule is not the be all and end all of property selection.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of tinytimtaylor17293tinytimtaylor17293
    @tinytimtaylor17293

Hi Landt64

All I can say from what I know is that Mt Isa is a place where you want to really be carefull,I have dealt with a few clients who have had bad experiences up there so really do your homework by maybe requesting a copy of there local paper be posted to you and speaking to an agent in every single real estate office up there.

Try and speak to the most experienced agant and the newest agent from every office.

When you find articles of properties advertised then cut them out and get a scrap book going so you have records to study trends at a basic level.

I KNOW IT SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF FUSS BUT WHEN it involves property which can potentialy be the make or break of ones interest in property then you really want to be sure of any movments on your behalf.

Keep in mind that I am just going off what I have heard from clientswhich is always the things that went wrong.

So just a few ideas.

let us know how you go and if you have any other thoughts cause I am sure there are many on this forum who won’t strike this message and may strike another, maybe even someone who has had previous dealings in MI

GOOD LUCK

Profile photo of landt64landt64
    Participant
    @landt64

Hi tinytimtaylor,
    thanks for all your input. We’ll be giving it some serious consideration before we go ahead with anything.
    landt

Profile photo of ktmmktmm
    @ktmm

Hi landt64
    We have invested in Rockhampton and Townsville and have good yields and returns over the years
    ktmm

@investron

I’ve since been told that there are 2 sides in The Isa (as the locals call it) the stinky side ( smell or smoke from the mill ) and the other side.
    I’ve also been told that the reason why the rents are so high there is because no one wants to own property there.

This is from an x resident, who left 12 years ago, so it may be completely different now.

Profile photo of onthegoonthego
    @onthego
    Originally posted by landt64:

hi,
    does anyone have any thoughts in investing in far north qld? I’ve seen a couple of properties that would fit the 11 second rule but I’m not sure if it’s a big enough town.I’d appreciate the help.
    thanks
    landt[blink]

I’ve been doing it in Cairns past few years and done very well, the place is still booming and rental vacancies for homes are only around 2%.

Saw a couple of builders diplay homes here http://www.cairnshomes.info. New homes/Land complete can be bought for $250K to $380K and expect a return of about 5%/6%. Also, DHA rent long term in Cairns for big Navy Base Personal.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

HI Landt64,

Mt Isa in Far North Queensland?

My understanding of Queensland is FNQ is the area around Cairns and beyond.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

@investron

I’m 100 km from Cairns and our markets are completely different, let alone Mt Isa which is in western QLD, 1000 or more km away from here.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.