All Topics / Legal & Accounting / 2.25% sales Tax in NSW

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of petebellpetebell
    @petebell

Scenerio:
    I have a property in NSW that I purchased in 2000 as my PPoR. I moved out in 2003 and it has been rented ever since. I have not bought another PPoR and I beleive that the capital gain on the property is not subject to CGT as it is still technically my PPoR. Question is, if I sell it while it is rented out, will it attract the 2.25% sales tax on investment properties. If it does, should I move back in for a while and then sell it? All thoughts/suggestions/opinions welcome

Thanks

Pete

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

i understand your frustation at this.
    i did the same thing with a nsw property.
    from what i understand, you have six years until its considered an investment property again.
    i’ve read through all the land tax from the government and still cant find a definent answer to the question.
    i even went to the accountant and he cant answer it. as far as he’s concerned i’m not up for the tax, but i wouldnt assume that for one second.
    sorry its not much help
    cheers
    shaun

Lead, Follow or get out of the bloody way

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Petebell,

Based on information you have provided you are exempt from paying vendor duty.

See middle column on second page of this
    http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/pls/portal/docs/page/downloads/other/vendor_duty_factsheet.pdf

It would appear that the NSW OSR are largely relying on ATO’s definition of PPOR.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

can someone tell me,pls:
    How can one NOT be up for CGT,if it has been rented out during the period it was claimed as one’s ppor? Surely claiming it as a rental during this period renders it as an IP,& therefore would be subject to CGT? I have heard conflicting opinions from 2 accountants on this.Pls help!

Profile photo of tonyy21692tonyy21692
    @tonyy21692

hi Misty1

When Paul Keating was treasurer he brought in a CGT exemption on your PPR, often called the “6 yr rule”.

It works like this, if you move out of your PPR because say your employer asked you to work interstate for a couple of years and during that time your rented your home and did not have another PPR ie you rented, you can later sell your PPR and not be up for CGT on any gain. During the time it is rented you have to declare the income and pay tax on the profit or get a refund on the loss.

Regards

Tony

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.