All Topics / Help Needed! / Help on city apartment!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of Xquis8Xquis8
    @xquis8

Hi

im thinking of purchasing a one bedroom aparment in melbourne on lonsdale st. Its about 20 sqm. The real estate agent (my friend) reckons hes got a lease for a year of $300pw (yet to be confirmed). The apartment is a private sale selling at $192 000. Im just wondering on everyones opinion on whether the price and rental is a good investment for the location.

any reply is most welcome
    cheers

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Tough to finance something that small. Affects the resale value.

Give me a call and we can have a chat about some issues.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Todays Hot Rate
    ***3 year fixed – 6.49%***

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Xquis,

I would be very concerned if you were buying a unit that small as an investment. Lenders have a great aversion to financing such small places and therefore you would be using more of your cash and/or equity as a deposit than is typically required.

Because of this you could well experience difficulties selling the property later on if ever that was an option/need. Such difficulties tend to restrict growth potential as savvy investors tend to steer clear of such property.

For me you are better off investing in something a little more standard and something that is bigger than 50 sqm.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Derek said it all :)

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Todays Hot Rate
    ***3 year fixed – 6.49%***

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of elika7264elika7264
    @elika7264

Hi,
    20 square metres seems very small — one room at best. I doubt if this is a livable space[blink]. Have you got the measurements right??[ohno]
    $300 per week for 20 square metres — the figures don’t add up right.

Maybe you were given the dimensions in squares (different from square metres).

Go back to square one (no pun intended[biggrin]) and reconfirm with the agent all figures provided.

Regards,
    Helen

Profile photo of yuyuyuyu
    @yuyu

20sqm on lonsdale? sound like a student accom, studio apartment. lettin at 300 is not realistic even fully furnished. I live in the city so i kinda know these market well. The location is good but the size and price look funny.

Hehe dun think u can get 20 square one bedroom for under 200k, so must be square metre.

cheer

yuyu

Profile photo of AndyWAndyW
    Participant
    @andyw

20 sqm is possible… my first place is 30m². Studio apartment, $165k, currently renting at $185 pw, furnished. There is another studio in the same building currently up for rent, asking $240pw (although it’s probably renovated, and has a car space). This is in Artarmon, (lower north shore, NSW).

Purchase price sounds about right, rental sounds a bit high – have you done a domain.com.au search or something to get some comparison rental prices?

It is hard to get finance for such a small place (as people have said, below the magic 50m²), you’ll need the full 20% deposit for starters, since no lender’s mortgage insurer will touch it.

Profile photo of elika7264elika7264
    @elika7264

Hi Yuyu,

your post:

dun think u can get 20 square one bedroom for under 200k, so must be square metre.

It was not my intention to suggest a one bedroom apartment would be 20 squares. I was just querying whether Xquis8 had been given the figures in square metres or metres.[blink]

Looking at the initial post again — $192K for 20 square metres — extrapolates to approx $400K for 40 squares metres; $600K for 60 square metres.

In my opinion the apartment on Lonsdale street seems very expensive. When you consider its limited use (student accommodation only), the red flags start appearing. I think there are better investments out there — but then again, that’s my opinion only.[blush2]

Regards,
    Helen

Regards,
    Helen

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Xquis8
    Since you said any reply is most welcome . . . . I’ve gotta say the property sounds like a garage, don’t do it.
    I’d rather own half a good quality property, than all of a bad one, if ’twere my money. Don’t dodge debt, dodge bad investment.Quality properties seem to be the only ones appreciating all the time.
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of BrizzaBrizza
    Participant
    @brizza

1 bedroom, 1 bathroom 42 square metres.

Would I have troubles getting finance?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Brizza

St George will do small places – from memory, anything over 25 sqm.

I have heard of someone with a 12 sqm ‘place’ in Sydney. The person paid cash for it 10 years ago and it hasn’t gone up and they couldn’t find a buyer.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.