All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Interest on construction loan deductible?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of WakeWake
    Participant
    @wake

Hi All

I recently read about a case that went against the ATO late last year. Result was that ATO has conceded that interest incurred in either building a rental property or getting one ready for rental, in certain cases, may now be deductible eg if land is bought and a house built within a reasonable time frame.

Asked our accountant to look into it, but he said it may be challenged at a later date, and really wasn’t interested. Has anyone heard of this case/ruling? I think we need a new accountant – someone experienced in PI.

Wake

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Wake,

Time for a new accountant – the purpose of the loan is to buy an income earning asset and therefore is deductible.

This has come up before see this thread;

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/11153.html

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of WakeWake
    Participant
    @wake

Hi Derek

Read the thread – that’s great news and will make quite a difference to us. Now… to find a good accountant.

Wake

Profile photo of JuliaJulia
    @julia

Wake,

Steele’s case is the precident and it has been around for quiet a few years now without challange.

Julia Hartman
    [email protected]
    Visit http://www.bantacs.com.au

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Julie,

Welcome back – given it has been around for ages I am surprised that so many accountants do not know the situation.

No doubt it is a case of information overload for those accountants who, for various, reasons cannot or do not focus on property.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.