All Topics / General Property / West Coast of Tasmania

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of Sonny JIMSonny JIM
    @sonny-jim

I’m a resident of Tasmania and think this area is well worth getting into at the moment. Great press down here.

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

G’day Sonny,

Got any info to support this assertion?

regards,

Rod.

Profile photo of Sonny JIMSonny JIM
    @sonny-jim

I’ll try to scan the press clippings

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

I read some where that they found new mines in that area.

Cheers
    PropertyGuRu [sultan]
    Mortgage Consultant
    [email protected]

NZ loan pre approval from austrlia in 48 hours

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Unfortantly zero capital gains. It’s already had it’s run, and due to the number of out state buyers droping off I don’t think it is fully sustainable with the increases with the price increases we’ve seen.

The east coast of Tas, is still very beautiful with rolling hills, country pubs, etc, where as Queenstown has a moon like landscape… Some I guess would like it…

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of YorkerYorker
    @yorker

Lucifer,
    I agree, the East coast is definately beautiful, I started investing on the west coast and have now progressed over to the east.
    East coast is more pricey, however, arguably better capital growth prospects.

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Bicheno has a number of subdivisions going ahead at present and bumper prices are expected. Land that wouldn’t sell at 15k per block is now going for 100k. Still money to be made if you can get land.

Coles Bay has a big Federal hotels development going ahead and is already expensive – although there are some sites suitable for medium scale subdivision if that interests you.

@ffcomm

(Bicheno is in the North East of Tas).

Yes much higher CGT on the East side. I don’t see much in cap gains for a while on the West Coasr (unless moon landscapes become all the rage! L0L).

I do a worry about the growth rate of the little island a bit though… Any thoughts?

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

From what we have seen, prices are fairly stable now, but things never seen on the island before are going great guns. The Cornwall square development in Launceston is a medium rise inner city apartment building with prices from 295k-600k and is two thirds sold already. The Seaport development (also in Launceston) has no trouble selling serviced apartments for over 300k each, and has a healthy retail precinct below.

Waterfront developments in Hobart are selling for big dollars – such as IXL. Tas seems to be undergoing its own cultural revolution and things are changing greatly. I am very optimistic about the future.

Profile photo of BonbeachBonbeach
    Participant
    @bonbeach

Im a Tassie fan, in particular the west coast. [biggrin]

Profile photo of obiwanobiwan
    @obiwan

tassie probably has had it’s run. Most of the inflow of funds is from melbourne but will be less as that cools down or even gets icy.

The scenery and resources will be worth something one day, but who knows how long that will take. Weather too cold to be a retirement mecca.

That said, there are still some +CF prospects like georgetown with alcoa thing nearby, but this is contingent on the resources cycle.

I was looking at queenstown a couple of weeks ago on the web. Property there is very cheap. I was thinking is there any way the mine around there will be operating properly again (I like ugly moon scenery) because houses there are going for well below replacement value.

Has anyone been to the tassie ski fields. Is there any development potential there or are the slopes too low altitude for decent snow ???

Profile photo of kenstantonkenstanton
    @kenstanton

I live in Launceston, south of Georgetown. Not much with the ski fields here in my view due to low altitudes. The season is very variable.

The Georgetown possibilities have me interested.

I am cautious about the Tas market generally at the moment. 2-5 years ago Launceston was a perfect +ve cashflow city. My wife and i spoke about it often and did nothing. Now I doubt there’ld be much that meets the 11 second rule. Recently had my house valued and it’s had a nice capital gain but the market has slowed.

Profile photo of TazDazTazDaz
    @tazdaz

The word around town here in Zeehan (West Coast) is the the mines are gearing up and there is a drastic shortage of rental accomodation. I have been watching properties around town popping up for sale and achieving good prices. Finding somthing of decent quality is difficult however and property managers are in short supply on the West Coast.

I have interests on the main land but still looking around the West Coast…..the resources thing does make me cautious.

Dazza

[hat]

Profile photo of St Johns AmbienceSt Johns Ambience
    @st-johns-ambience

Yes , I ‘ve also heard that the mines there are gearing up again .
    I was looking at some of those duplex type places in Roseberry in sept … low workers’ rents guaranteed paid direct to landlord by mining company , fixed term contract . RE agent was saying rents could go up , say from $60/wk to ~$100/wk after contract ….hmmm I wonder .
    Lack of PMs in that area would be a real worry .
    A lot of those buildings seem quite ancient too.
    MLV

MLV

@ffcomm

In the latest API mag (http://www.apimagazine.com.au/) there was an article on a family who invested on the West Coast, a year latter they sold the property because they couldn’t find a property manager. It wasn’t a total diaster because it did go up by $10K, but after all expenses (costs in buying, costs in selling and they was slightly neg. geared because she couldn’t rent it out, even though the local RE agent said they would rent it out to the husband) was it worth it? For perhaps $4K or even less????

Way too little money for the effort expended and the risks.

It’s funny about the mines because I was on AussieStock forum and they were discussing a mining company called Pasminco, apparently it’s a basket case, and no one is touching it…
    So if you invest on the west coast make sure you buy some shares in the company, as they are the major employer!!![baaa] (hay thats the first time I think I’ve ever used that type of smiley in almost 600(?) posts!).

Although I might seem down on the West Coast, I just see it as an area to be cautious with. Usually if any mines move in they take all the skilled tradespeople first (well that has happened with two towns I invested in) and it almost becomes nigh impossible just to get a tradey, and as SJA said “A lot of those buildings seem quite ancient too.” Lucky my two purchases were of buildings that were pretty new, so hardly any maintenance issues… but when a light wasn’t working – that bill stung badly… And the PM even had him on a retainer!

So becareful and beware. As I’ve said personally I like the East Coast – PMs managing it for you (it is almost impossible to self manage a prop. when you have to jump on an airplane), tradies who you can get hold off, and are quite reasonable, and finally usually the areas have one or more industries, the West Coast in reality has only one – mining, when it’s good it can be excellent, but when it’s bad… well lets just say I am lucky that my two properties were CF+ by $10 p/w because I had zero cap gains. Thankfully the boom came!

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of TyTy
    @ty

Hi All

this is my first message so bare with me
    Being originally from Tassie(Burnie) i have considered trying to buy property down there but was informed that it was hard to find positive c/f property. i read Steve’s book about a year ago and have been trying to get into the property market ever since but i am finding it hard to get the cash up for a deposit. however, i was in Tassie for xmas and whilst talking to my brother he made an offer for me to go in halves in a 3 Br house that he brought approx 5 years ago. he brought the house for $15000 back then and has put an extra $15000 or so in getting it refurbished, therefore his price for me to go in with him is $15000. The house still needs a bit of work before it will be ready for tenants but will probably bring in $120 a week, Being a farmer he has no time to keep going with the refurbishment and would use the money to get someone in to finish it off. Looking at house prices in the area for the same sort of house, the prices are around $150000 and upwards. i feel this a great oppotunity for me to break into the property market for a very low outlay and a great on paper profit ie($15000 in for a half share in a house worth $150000[biggrin]) it seems to good to be true, i know but my brother and i are very close and this is a genuine offer does anyone have any advice/comment??????

Profile photo of RavtownRavtown
    @ravtown

Hello Ty,

I would say go for it. Essentially you are getting into property at pre boom prices.

But be business like about it. Just because you get along well with your brother doesn’t mean you shouldn’t set the deal up properly.

You say the house should bring in $120/week. Have you really looked into this? Consider what sort of tennant will your property suit and are there many of them around?

If you two of you are too busy, who is going to manage the property in the case of vacancies, bad tennants etc?

Have an AGREED exit strategy. If it doesn’t turn out as you both planned. How do you dissolve the partnership?

These are just some of the things I think you should have a pretty good handle on before you go into this.

cheers

Profile photo of TyTy
    @ty

Hi Rav

Thanx for the input, the $120 a week rent is a figure that is on the low side for the area(smithton) and the reason i stated that is because i work on the theory of the lowest figure and if i get more than that it’s a bonus. At the moment the problem is not the contracts between me and my brother it’s trying to get my wife to understand that it is an excellent oppitunity, she is focused on the fact that we will lose our $7000 first home owners grant if we go into this house, she can’t grasp that having a half share in a house worth $150000 is 3 times more equitable than getting the $7000, plus if we got say $120 a week($60 for our share) then saved it, in 2 years we would hace the $7000 anyway + interest and that’s without the tax advantages. i think i will get a proper valuation on the house and rental valuation take it along with her to my accountant and let him slap it into her[biggrin].

Profile photo of RavtownRavtown
    @ravtown

Hi Ty,

Have a bit more of a look around these forum boards.

There was a recent topic on the first home owner grant. The crux of which is that you can own property as an investor and so long as you don’t live in it, you are still eligible for the FHOG at a later date (assuming you meet all the other criteria). The links to the relevant government websites were in the thread somewhere. Won’t be too hard to find if you run a search on FHOG.

I got tripped on this one. could have been playing the game a little earlier [biggrin]

Also one on coping with a uninterested/uncertain partner file path below.
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/14918.html

In another Tassie thread I mentioned that the longford meatworks has/is going through expansion phase and wondered what impact that will have on Greenhams at smithton. Maybe something to consider as well. (Before I left there were articles in the Tas Country saying that the state could only support one ab).

I’m not trying to talk you out of it. I would go for it myself. Just throwing things out there.

cheers

heather

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Ty go for it . It sounds like your brother is giving you not just a good buy but experience that you cant put a figre on , if this is your first investment property and you realise that it is not so sacary , you cant buy that knowledge . Also if you continue to invest in property dont forget your brother good luck cheers Rick[drummer]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.