All Topics / Forum Frolic / Heat, Light & God

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

Speaking of “LEAPS OF FAITH”;

I think it is ironic that the scientists version of events (big bang etc) requires an enormous leap of faith also.

http://www.rense.com/general58/bbang.htm

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

waynel – yep! all interesting! science probably answers less questions then it poses – for me anyway.

steve – thks your post – infact i still feel like a child of god. its just that i cant say which god it is – an in a funny way im not sure i need to.

it would help though….

cheers

Profile photo of Memento_MoriMemento_Mori
    @memento_mori
    Originally posted by Gatsby:

Heat, Light and ergh,…evolution? One Christian said to me at a party once that the world is 12000 years old! I asked him how he came to that figure? I was told that he added up all the ages of everyone in the Bible since Adam and Eve and it’s roughly 12000 years. I then asked him if I could ask him a question. He said sure, fine. I asked him if the world’s 12000 years old then what about dinosaurs? I mean you’d think that dinosaurs would be included in the good book. He told me that God put them here to test our faith. At this point, I scratched my head and could only say, “Dude, I think God put YOU here to test my faith!”
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!
    (true story)

Gatsby, how about you stop lieing ok? I was doing a search of Google this morning and ran by your post here, what you just said was a DIRECT rip off of a Bill Hicks set about dinosaurs and the bible. That is direct plagiarism of a copy righted piece of work, I’m a huge fan of Bill Hicks and i like to see people spreading his word, but if you going to do it, quote the man dont rip off a dead mans life work ok?

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Me a good Catholic girl. I sit as far to back of the church as possible, I had pre-marital sex and I lived in sin for 4 years before redeeming myself and getting married. HEe heee….

I have to admit, since I was 12 years old, the church or my faith did not really play a big part of my life but that is changing. In a changing society and world, really all we have left is faith that there is a higher cosmic being who can help us along the way. In a way, it helps us gain faith in ourselves.

My point is, I believe Religion has a place in society and regardless of the current religious state of the world, tolerance needs to become the next big word aside from faith….

Steph.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4
    quoting Scremin, for no particular reason but to get the wording:

Religion has a place in society and regardless of the current religious state of the world, tolerance needs to become the next big word aside from faith….

Funny thing is, I have learned that “Religion” is man’s spin one the bible. That is, their interpretation combined with repetitive rituals and sayings. It also leaves it open for disagreement and fighting (thinking of the Christian Crusades, why we have Catholics-Baptists-and so on, etc) – so it is essentially “man-made” and so fallible!
    Being a Christian, as outlined by Geo, means to follow, or emulate/copy or become like Christ. So as humans, we are fallible and as Christians we try to become like Christ, and hence better ourselves. Christ only gave us two commandments (1st to only love God! and 2nd to love thy neighbour = every one). With this point, the word tollerence becomes mute as we are supposed to love the person – not their behaviour.
    I see a huge difference in being Religious and being a Christian! In my efforts to be a Christian, I don’t take on more rituals, but I read and learn from the bible on how I should behave and treat others! Granted, I don’t succeed as much as I like, but it is a work-in-progress!

As for Chrisitans trying to merge evolution (or its time line) with the bible, I want to remind you that Christianity is about beliving in God and that the bible is his living word, so when evolutionists say millions of years, I want to know if they have been there from the start so that they can say that with an authority! Otherwise, the bible says days and I shall believe it as days.

Whoops…..this’ll be interesting…..

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Nice point Calvin and I agree. Perhaps I was not articulate enough in my answer, I think I was rather tired.

But…one can read the bible one way and take it literally (Baptists ?) and others look to it for guidance and use the symbolism within it to relate it to current times.

I think it is had to take on Christianity without the ancient traditions that go with it. I mean the breaking of break is a jewish tradition from passover but was emulated by Christ at the last supper, therefore, extremely important to catholics as it was a symbol of Christ giving his life for us. He gave us the symbol of BRead and wine, and when consecrated by a priest it becomes his body and blood.

If you take that tradition and ritual away from Christianity, then it is in effect meaningless. (Please keep in mind I am using the breaking of bread as ONE example of the many rituals from diff religions)

As a teacher in a Catholic school, we encourage the children each day to become “Christlike” in the way they behave and how they treat others. We always go back to those commandments you stated Calvin.

Anyway, I dunno if my point is across or not again… Bloomin’ frantic mind at the moment…My point is you can’t just read the bible. You sometimes need guidance to interpret and understand it and that is when religions come into it. It’s just up to you who you believe.
    Steph/

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.