All Topics / Site Problems / Feedback / Diddling the forum stats are we???

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Steve/Brent,

A couple of times I have thought things were quiet in the forum, and correspondingly decided to take a peak at the forum stats to substantiate my suspicions only to find that this was indeed the case.

Yeah so big deal I hear you ask??? What’s the problem??? Nothing, as I don’t have an issue with things being quiet, but I did happen to check the stats several times over the course of the next few days, and it seems the figures were being “diddled” from one day to the next. For example, I took note of the actual numbers for each day in the first week, and found that EVERY DAY the figures had been increased!!! [eh]

My question to you Steve/Brent; why??? How could the posts for one 24 hour period go from 180-200+ over the course of a week, if that day had already lapsed??? As had all the figures, in EACH and every category!!! [blink]

In the words of Pauline Hanson, “please explain” [whistle]

Jo

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Great question Jo.

Now I have one for you.

How many blades of grass do you have in your front lawn?

Seriously, what made you actually do the math on that?

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome and well preserved body, but better to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming . …… Hell, what a trip !!”

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

777,219,433 [tongue]

Just kidding Rugby!!! Honestly, I don’t know, it seemed quiet in here and I thought it was just me, so I figured why not see how much (if at all) the numbers had dropped. I half expected a drop, hence it was no great surprise, but I didn’t expect the figures to change so dramatically from one day to the next.

Why was I checking daily??? Well at first I wasn’t, but when I noticed a huge leap, I suspected some dirty pool and thought I’d see what was happening, and started to check more regularly. It was because the increases continued to the point of being noticeable discrepancies, which further sparked my curiousity. In hindsight I hardly think that adding a few counts here and there is going to make a significant difference in the overall representation of site statistics. Nonetheless, being the stickler for detail that I can be (thanks to years of intense data analysis) I found it awakened the Julius Sumner-Miller (?) in me [wacko]

Finally, although it doesn’t bother me in the slightest, I do think deliberately diddling the figures is wrong; if that is what is occurring, and I’m not saying that that is necessarily the case.

Hence my reason for asking, rather than continuing to assume/suspect foul play!!!

Jo

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Jo,

Sorry love but I think you need to get out more………

Sounds like you’re addicted to this place……

@monopoly

I DO Pelican, but I have been almost chained to this bloody desk for a couple of weeks bogged down with bloody paperwork, all in the name of friendship (long story)!!!

Motto: NEVER VOLUNTEER, and a friend in need is a pain in the ass!!!![blink]

Jo [biggrin]

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4
    Motto: NEVER VOLUNTEER, and a friend in need is a pain in the ass!!!!

ROLFMAYO[upsidedown]

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo
    @monopoly

Ahhhhh so you get my drift Calvin???!!! [grin]

See what happens when you are chained to a desk with towering pillars (paperwork) surrounding your from every angle??? You tend to lean towards going [wacko][upsidedown] and start counting/analysing bloody forum stats to break the boredom, and for the fun of it!!!!

Yipppeeeeeeeee!!! [tongue]

Seriously peoples…..is there not a living soul with sense of humour among you aside from the above individuals???

And am I the only person with a curious bone in my body????

Baloo you asked “Y” well, “Y Not”??? Live dangerously!!! Sheesh!!! [blush2]

Profile photo of MischiefMischief
    @mischief

I understand completely – also have a curious nature and quirky sense of humour – but couldn’t care less about the stats.

On a constructive note – those piles around you aren’t going to reduce any whilst you find curious little ways to distract yourself like this. Work on the piles, you might find the desk shackles release somewhat.

SIMPLE BUT TRUE …

@monopoly

Thanks Mischief,

You’re so right!!!

Lucky for me I don’t HAVE TO do the paperwork; I just promised I would, hence deadlines are not a factor in this equation, and distractions are permissable.

As for the stats…yeah, guess I’m a stats rat from my early psych days; old habits die hard!!! [blush2]

Oh well….forward bound!!![biggrin]

Jo

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

You have an inquisitive and annalytical mind Monopoly..that’s all, and it’s a good thing [biggrin]

Keep em on thier toes!!!

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

um, i’ll stake one of my properties on the fact that Steve is NOT diddling the forum stats.

The environment, however, needs more people to care about it….

joy to the world

@monopoly

Hey Mini,

24 hour/7 days on call (voluntary) call outs to a woman’s refuge to deal with traumatised victims of domestic violence, PLUS you’ll be pleased to know I am (to my husband’s disgust) vigilant about recycling. All of that spells caring to me, wouldn’t you say???

So how about cutting me some slack???!!! No one is accusing anyone (least of all your guru) of foul play, it’s just stats obsevation and analysis….no harm in that is there??? [blink]

Jo

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Yes, stats and 1st year psych – that is as far as my psychology career goes… but I’ve gotta say even in first year they were pedantic about it. All calculated from scratch – no comupter analysis. I can understand how you got caught in this current situation. Correlation is not causation (if I ever forget that I’ll be surprised). 2nd year stats (no psych involved) was much more to my liking – just stick it in the computer and it spits out all sorts of interesting stuff!

Anyway, given my experience with psych and stats and your (vastly greater than my) psych academic achievements I have no doubt that there is a statistical anomaly lurking somewhere for some reason. I just know that it won’t be as simple as it first appears…

Cheers
    Sonja

PS Even though you are probably right about the stats (whatever the cause) it won’t save you from that paperwork :)

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Participant
    @administrator

Monopoly,

The forum stats are automatically generated in the background by Snitz and we have no access to tinker with them. They are what they are, however, to be honest, we don’t pay any attention to them.

Furthermore, we do not appreciate the automatic insinuation / conclusion that we would modify the information to suit our purposes.

– Admin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.