All Topics / General Property / Finding the right property!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of elika7264elika7264
    @elika7264

Hi Everyone,

a question on sourcing property.[blush2]

In your experience are all properties listed on realestate.com and domain.com. Are these web sites repetitive or do they list different properties.[blink]

Or is it necessary to continue to trawl through agent web sites for latest listings. [confused2]

Other than the above, any other sources for property that provide an edge in terms of current/complete listings.

Thanks[biggrin]
    Helen

Profile photo of collector jcollector j
    Participant
    @collector-j

Hi Helen,

realestate.com.au is pretty much the best site available to search for new listing’s.

When an agent list’s a new property they first place it on there site, it then gets exported to realestate.com.au

So basically every new listing should be on realestate.com

Hope this has been of help

cheers

Joseph

Profile photo of sui generissui generis
    @sui-generis

Hi Helen,

Not all agents, believe it or not, list with the online services like realestate.com.au. I also found in my last venture to purchase (about 2.5 years ago) that not all agents will update their online listings, whether it be their own website or that of another.

My conclusion at the time was that it is still the best to do the on-the-ground footwork and contact each agent and let them know what type of property you are interested in. Remember also that some properties are never advertised because the agent already has a buyer on his/her books who expressed an interest in a particular type of property.

I found that realestate.com.au etc were good as a guide to prices in an area.

If you can, always make contact with many agents directly. In a buyers market such as now they will be only too pleased to help you out [biggrin]

Happy hunting!

SG

Profile photo of sui generissui generis
    @sui-generis

Correction, Joseph. Not every property for sale necessarily automatically goes to realestate.com.au.

I sold one recently and while speaking with several agents, some said they don’t automatically post the property on realestate.com.au and if they do it will be an extra charge and only at my request. While other agents do it as a matter of course.

Beware!

SG.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly
    Originally posted by sui generis:

If you can, always make contact with many agents directly. In a buyers market such as now they will be only too pleased to help you out [biggrin]

Absolutely SG!!!

Realestate.com is a great starting point, but it is not the only way to hunt down a good deal. As suggested, contact REAs and let them know you are interested; if they want to make a sale, they’ll keep you in mind, especially ATM when buyers are scarce!!!

Sure check the RE websites, and local papers, but don’t forget to use your powers of observation. If you drive passed a house with a board on it, and you are okay with the area in which it is located, then stop and jot down the agent’s details!!!

Cheers,

Jo

Participant
    @collector-j

Hi Guy’s

Well thats a little scarey to know,Why wouldnt SOME agents place there listing on the open market, yes I understand that sale’s rep’s might have existing clients.
    I wouldnt like to be on the other side of the phone with a vendor who is about to pay good money to have there property advertised and pay commission only to find out there agent has been slack.

I guess each to there own,

Joseph

@monopoly

My guess collector, would be that the vendor is not prepared to pay the (full) advertising cost, hence the agent will limit any advertising to areas which are at no cost to the vendor or themselves. And if they (the agents) do list it in an area which has an associated cost, this cost may well have been factored into the overall commission (in the event that the vendor was reluctant to advertise the property).

But I’m sure the agents in this forum, who are qualified by their experiences will further answer your concerns.

Jo

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Helen,

The other thing you need to be aware of is that some agents do not keep their website up to date and some of the properties on the web had previously been sold and were no longer available. The ads generally being left ‘up’ to get contact details from would be/could be buyers.

This aspect of web advertising may have been tidied up a little now that the property market is moving at a more sedate pace than it has been in the last few years.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

with realestate.com it is a fixed subscription charge for the office regardless of how many properties they put on. If they are subscribed and don’t list it, well I could only think they couldn’t be bothered doing it. Some smaller agencies don’t subscribe as they simply don’t have the volume to justify it, or their licensee doesn’t believe in the effectiveness of it. Having worked at an agency that did have it, I have now convinced my new licencee to sign up as it really does generate strong leads.

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Participant
    @collector-j

Hi Monopoly,

Interesting responce.

Cheers,

Joseph

Profile photo of elika7264elika7264
    @elika7264

Hello everyone,
    thank you for your informative response. [blush2] Certainly an eye opener for me. My main problem is that I am looking to purchase interstate and therefore had hoped the major web sites would be comprehensive. Oh well, back to the drawing board.[confused2]

Regards,
    Helen

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Helen,

I don’t believe anyone is saying don’t use the net – more is the point that the ‘net’ doesn’t fully reflect what property is available at this point in time.

Nonetheless it can be a lead point and considerable ‘after interest’ research would be needed to get the ‘deal’ over the line anyway.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

@monopoly

Hi Elika,

Especially for buying interstate, the major RE websites are the best starting point. Just because they may not always be up-to-date (ie. they have a few that are sold but have not been removed yet) shouldn’t deter you from contacting the agents; in fact, the more agents you contact the closer you will get to finding that “right one” for you!!!

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

I don’t usually search realestate.com.au for my own town as I know what is here. However, out of curiosity (and boredom) I decided to have a look at what was listed. Some current properties but what really scared me was seeing one that sold at auction in December last year. I know that it sold because we were interested in it (I also know it is not on the market again now).

That said, I believe the internet is a good starting point to get an idea about an area that is too far away to visit on a regular basis. It is also a good way to make contact with agents. Apart from the nationwide sites such as realestate.com.au there are local sites that are a collective of listings from agents in a particular area. For eg I live in Leeton NSW and while some agents in town have their own sites and/or list on the larger sites, all (but one small agency) list on ‘Splash’ or http://www.riverinahomes.com.au/splash.html which, as the address suggests, lists properties from any agents that are located within the Riverina area of NSW. I know that this is not unique to my area as I once came across something similar covering Rockhampton Qld when playing around searching there.

If you don’t mind making phone calls then http://www.yellowpages.com.au lists all agents in the area that you are looking at – internet or not. Personally I have found that if you are willing to talk on the phone the agents see you as more serious and will call if something comes up that fits your requirements.

Cheers
    Sonja

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.