All Topics / Forum Frolic / Singaporean English

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Singlish is a Singaporean version of English.

Lim Ah Lek was asked to make a sentence using
    1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 0.

Not only did he do it 1 to 10, he did it again from 10 back to 1.This is what he came up with…… “

1 day I go 2 climb up a 3 outside a house to peep. But couple saw me, so I panic and 4 down. The man rush out and wanted to 5 with me. I run until I fall 6 and throw out. So I go into 7 eleven and grab some 8 to throw at him.

Then I took a 9 and try to stab him. 10 God he run
    away. So, I put the 9 back and pay for the 8 and left 7 eleven. Next day, I call my boss and say I am 6. He said 5, tomorrow also no need to come back 4 work.

He also ask me to climb a 3 and jump down. I don’t
    understand, I so nice 2 him but I don’t know what he 1″.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Geo,

If you only knew how ACCURATE that is !!!

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

I dunno- I find it a bit racist personally.

kay henry

@pelican

Kay,

glad to see, as usual, you have left your sense of humour at the door….

Singaporeans know they speak like that, and, have a laugh at themselves about it…. it has NOTHING to do with race….

Are you referring to the CHinese Singaporeans who talk like that ?? Or the Malay Singaporeans ?? or the Indian Singaporeans ?? Or the Ang Moh Singaporeans ???

If you lived here, you’d see that Singaporeans have a good sense of humour, and are able to have a laugh at themselves…..

Take a chill pill girl……

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

It is exactly how the Chinese spoke in Malaysia when we lived there – they called it Manglish…..some suggested this meant Malay English others Mangled English!

They poke more fun at it than we do!

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

3 year fixed rate – 6.69%

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

@pelican

Kay,

if u dun 1 2 listen to udder opinyun about udder wayz of da speekin de langwich…. den maybe u dun travel much b4 ???

KNN CB meet you at pasar for a kopi-o and we talk about it over a prata……

:-)

In Asia, English, not being the first language is modified to local tastes…. BUT we keep a sense of humour about it…..

You may know the cost of everything…. but what about the value ????

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo

I have a copy of the Cocksford Singlish Dictionary. Now before you get offended, “talking cock” in Singlish means talking rubbish, telling stories.

The Book is in fact written by a Singaporean for Singaporeans and expats. They are well aware of their Singlish and are proud of it.

So farnee lah…..

Profile photo of alwayscuriousalwayscurious
    Participant
    @alwayscurious

Hehe, I found my english deterioated significantly after living overseas for a year.

I dropped into the local patios and I find myself still doing it – even if the person I am speaking to has perfect english!!

That made me giggle a bit. I remember this one chap who was from elsewhere in Asia who had to run from the law, ended up in China ‘teaching english’ – I couldn’t understand him, and I certainly couldn’t understand his graduates. I didn’t have the heart to tell them that it wasn’t their fault, it was most probably their teacher!

:)

But I had a crack at speaking Cantonese, which caused many people to fall about the place and laugh at ME.

I remember asking politely “what is your last name (honorably surname)” but I asked “How is your Ghost?”

[blush2]

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

oh so funny la! sense of humour – can!

the singaporean government recently introduced a law trying to stop youngsters speaking singlish in schools. but its mostly spoken in fun….

think singapore version of cath n kim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.