All Topics / General Property / Steve: How about a book promoting negative gearing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of YorkerYorker
    @yorker

I think if Steve were to write a book condoning negative gearing, many more positively geared deals would become available. Why don’t we capitalise on the lemming mentality…

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Hmmm. So following on from your post, you think that a lot of + geared investors are lemmings. What a nice compliment to pay the forum.

BTW I thought Rosebery was the place to be… heaps of + geared deals there, or so I hear.

r

Profile photo of YorkerYorker
    @yorker

I meant his book, although very informative has had the effect of greatly limiting the availability of positive cashflow deals. Thought a book on negative gearing may divert a bit of attention away, giving us more opportunites.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

In fact, Yorker, Steve made a comment at his launch the other night, that he had made far more money from capital gains, than from cashflow.

We can’t all buy 10%’ers, Yorker. Some of us wish to buy lifestyle places etc, and the rents are not 10%… hence, they are negative geared.

I find it weird when people refer to people who buy neg geared properties as stupid, or “lemmings”… Who would have regretted buying a property in sydney 10 years ago and making so much money? How could that have been stupid or lemming-like?

kay henry

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hellooooooooooooo……

Ok (putting hand up) pleading ignorance….

What is “lemming”??? Is it a 2004 property buzz word??? Have I been hibernating too long;[blush2] maybe I need to get down and dirty on the ground level more or something, cos this expression is virgin to my ears!!!

Thanks in advance [biggrin]

Jo

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

A lemming is an animal. Basically, people use the term as an insult for follower. Gee Yorker- you ain’t a lemming for buying CF+ properties, are ya? :+P

From dictionary.com:

lem·ming ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lmng) n.

Any of various small, thickset rodents, especially of the genus Lemmus, inhabiting northern regions and known for periodic mass migrations that sometimes end in drowning.

Jo, you can look up any words on dictionary.com- takes shorter time than posting asking what it means.

kay henry

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

Hey Mono,

Now I know you’re just trying to get your post count up!!!

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

[blush2] How embarrassment!!!! [blush2]

Of course!!! How stupid of me, I didn’t for a minute think of the little rodents, and just blindly correlated it to some property/building terminology, hence didn’t even think outside the concrete square!!! [rolleyesanim]

Many thanks, I think I need to remember to refer back to the basics [grad]….oh the shame [glum2]

Jo

P.S. Yorker, shame on you, calling people names simply because of how they choose to invest. What makes you think one way is superior to the other??? You’re not going to succeed in business with that kind of narrow-mindedness!!!

qwerty….seriously, I just had a mental blank, you know we all get them from time to time…(it must be a blonde thing that occurs every now and again, albeit rarely)!!! [tongue]

Kay, yep thanks for the tip; I know the link: http://www.wordiq.com/

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Steve made a comment at his launch the other night, that he had made far more money from capital gains, than from cashflow.

A closet growth focussed investor ?[biggrin]

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

yes but (playing devil’s advocate here) is growth just another term for dead equity? you can only realise the gain by selling and being slugged with tax, or borrowing against it. Equity for equity’s sake is a fruitless pursuit, not unlike the desire to own your PPOR outright.

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of YorkerYorker
    @yorker

Are you a lemming Kaye?

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

As we lemmings all gather around our putas typing to each other…….[blink]

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Lame, herd or lemming, the fact remains that unless you have the acumen to spot the demand and the opportunity and get in first, you are going to be second or third. Bad? not necessarily providing you have done your homework.

As for York’s proposal to write a book to mislead the masses away from what one thinks is the best choice into an alleged second best, to have it all for us, I think it’s a bit funny.

You could try to write it yourself, after all you don’t need any facts, pure fiction and some enticing figures[biggrin]
    Yet I think that you can find a niche in the market all for you with less work than is needed to write a book and a bad one to top it off.

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of Brisbane 04Brisbane 04
    Participant
    @brisbane-04

Hi,
    I first ventured into property investing due to how negative gearing was being pushed around 8-9 years ago. I purchased a number of properties during this period. Then I heard about the cash positive theory and started purchasing those. I have never regretted buying the negative geared properties as they have recently been sold for very good capital growth. I could never hope to achieve that sort of money for positive cash flow properties over such a short period of time. A good balance of both neg geared/good capital growth and positive cash flow properties are in my sense the way to go.[biggrin]

Martin

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.