All Topics / Help Needed! / $10000 equity for car port.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of gattagagattaga
    @gattaga

hello everybody
    i read a book that said by adding a carport to a property it would increase its value by 10000.has anyone done this or know of other ways to increase property value,or a book on it.also is it better to buy 3 bed houses instead of 1 and 2.thankyou

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Adding a carport can add value to a house, and yes you can charge more rent for a carport as well, Dolf De Roos book “101 Ways to Massively Increase the Value of Your Real Estate” explains how you can do this relly well. Though he invests in areas that provide higher cashflow (i.e. outside Australia) and can charge more for doing things like this.

3/1 houses are seen as better because a family with two kids, or a household that needs a home office can use it. Of course it all comes down to the deal and the property.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by gattaga:

i read a book that said by adding a carport to a property it would increase its value by 10000.has anyone done this or know of other ways to increase property value,or a book on it.also is it better to buy 3 bed houses instead of 1 and 2.thankyou

Hi Gattaga,

There is no absolute answer to the question as a properties value is largely determined by comparable properties in the market and also by the price someone is willing to pay for the property.

As a rule of thumb a carport will add value to the property but as for a definitive value that is impossible to tell.

On a similar note the value of 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms will be determined by the demographics and location of the properties. Some pundits are believing that smaller units are the way to go whereas others will emphatically state 3 bed houses are better.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

carports?? I bought a house with a carport once for 16k last year! but i don’t think if it hadn’t had a carport it would have been worth 6k…
    I reckon if the house was worth 100-200k and you added a carport it would definitely add value, but then the more expensive the house the better the carport needs to be, I guess. I mean with one of those reno kings brisbane makeovers you couldn’t just get a few bits of 4 by 4 and whack some green corrugated plastic over the top, call it a carport and expect that you had added 10k to the value, I wouldn’t think….

re 3 bdr or 2bdr, if buying for rental, check with a couple of rental managers what the most popular type is. In some of the places I invest in 2 bedrooms are less desirable than 3 bedrooms and more inclined to vacancy. And 1 bedrooms are almost unheard of.

But in sydney it’s probably a completely different story as we have high density housing. I read somewhere that 2 bedrooms are the most common.

then again if you are buying for resale or renovation or whatever then it might be different again.

joy to the world

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.