All Topics / Help Needed! / window sills

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of waynel2waynel2
    @waynel2

hi tools,

thanks for the advice:)

Though now I’m unsure which way to go! The house is only a couple years old so the floors and walls are all relatively straight…

– Wayne

Wayne Leech

*Below are links to my websites – any feedback, comments would be appreciated:)
    http://www.landsearcher.com.au – List your land for FREE (Private sellers only)
    http://www.homesearcher.com.au – List your property for FREE (Private sellers only)

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

Good advice Tools. My husband always marks half the diameter of a tile off from the wall and marks with a chalk line. Tiles are then laid with the side point on this line. He fills in around the walls with cut tiles so that any “out of square” walls make no difference as the fill in tile is cut to size. He always fixes skirting first. Bunnings is the place to go for Jarrah and they operated many of the mills here in WA. Westwood Timbers in Welshpool is also a good place to shop but if you are looking for service and helpful advice I can recommend Johns Building Supply in Star Street Welshpool and have dealt with them for over 10 years. Not necessarily the cheapest but will go the extra mile and will always help you load and tie down any purchases.

If I knew then what I know now……….you know how it goes

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Thanx Tools,
    Like I said to Wayne, I have been telling of what I remember of when I laboured for a tiler.

If you go the other way,you will find that you will have gaps between the tile and skirt all around the room.Even “professional”tilers don’t manage to get all the tiles perfectly flat,and all it takes is for a few tiles to be slightly out of line,and you won’t be able to get the skirt to sit hard down to the tiles

This never seemed to be an issue. With the ‘Toothed’ trowel the tile cement went down evenly and, althought there is a slight difference in tile thickness, it never became so obvious that we had to alter the skirting boards to fit or have gaps everywhere! To close the gap bvetween the skirting boards and the tiles (stop water from going behind) my dad used silastic when he laid the slate tiles in our house.

Skirting on top of tiles will not disguise crooked walls.If the walls are out,they are out!Just make sure to measure and cut each tile individually if they are out.

I stand corrected! Only makes sense.

Chalking a line from corner to corner will give you the centre of the room (if your room is square/rectangular)but it won’t necessarily give you a 45 degree line unless your room is perfectly square.

I addressed this with Wayne ‘Off-thread’ in an email

start from the middle of a room and work your way out.However,professional tilers will rarely work this way

As the previous point above.

If you are continuing the tiles through to other rooms,you also need to consider the cuts you will have in those rooms as well.If you are running the tiles diagonally,it is highly unlikely that you will end up with even cuts in the second and subsequent rooms.

This may be true but it looks cleaner in the end in my opinion and I have to agree with the old guy I worked for, continuity makes a place look much neater. I guess its also a matter of taste. It is what I have made clear thru my posts as something I value

If you insist on using only one coat,I would add a paint conditioner such as Floetrol…you will be glad you did.

Thanx for the heads up! My PPOR is due for some cosmetic surgery soon and I will put that into my chest of treasures!

With 20 years of experience in building

Well Tools, I hope that you will be available to have your brains picked more! Renos is one wqay a lot of us make money, and in the begging those of us who don’t have the spare cashflow to pay for the services of a professional, will have to do it ourselves! Perhaps, if you have the time, you could be invited to moderate and assist in a new section of porperty improvements!? How about it.
    I would seek your advice for sure.

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Hi Calvin,

I wasn’t having a stab at anything you said,just throwing in my two cents worth.I am happy to help you or anyone else with anything I can,all you need to do is ask!

Tools

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Thanx Tools,
    I must admit that at first I got ‘hot under the collar’, but then I realised that you indeed put your experience in print and that’s what this forum is all about.
    I look forward to seeing how Wayne went, and I look forward to your input when I get into my PPOR Face lifts.

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of waynel2waynel2
    @waynel2

G’day guys!

Again, thanks for your input:)

I ummm’d n rrr’d… then after doing a few tile cuts I’ve decided to go with the skirting boards on top of the tiles. I see your point Tools – however in my situation placing the skirting boards on top has allowed be to make a few “measuring mistakes” along my wall lines and be able to get away with it!:)

I guess if I had a bit more practice and was more experienced with getting the cuts right then I may have laid the skirting first.

Over the weekend I laid my edge tiles and have done about 5 rows of the diamond pattern from the games room corner.

Things have gone pretty smoothly and I’m pretty happy with the results![biggrin]

I hope to do at least 3 rows each night after work – so hope fully in a couple of weeks I’ll have it all finished up:)

Once I’ve finished I’ll post up some pics:)

Cheers guys!

Wayne Leech

*Below are links to my websites – any feedback, comments would be appreciated:)
    http://www.landsearcher.com.au – List your land for FREE (Private sellers only)
    http://www.homesearcher.com.au – List your property for FREE (Private sellers only)

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.