All Topics / Value Adding / Where to from here?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of ScullyScully
    @scully

Hi Guys,

Haven’t been on these forums for quite a while. Have been dealing with my new baby, but it’s time to get back into things, so I need some advice. Please excuse my stupid questions – I’ve still got “preggo” brain!

We currently have a small 3br house on 930sqm in Sydney. It is doing well rent-wise compared to what we paid for it many years ago, but when we look at the current value compared with the current rent, it’s pretty dismal. We would like to do something about this.

I’ve contacted the council regarding zoning etc., and have discovered we can build a dual occupancy on the land. I’m quite keen on doing this if the figures stack up, but I have absolutely no idea what to do next? None of our friends have any experience in this area either. I don’t know any good builders etc.

So where to now? Contact a builder? An architect? Who? Someone, please throw me a fish. I haven’t got a clue!!

TIA.
    Cheers,
    Karen

Profile photo of wrappackwrappack
    @wrappack

Go to councils web site, download their development control plan pertaining to your site. Find out EVERYTHING about your land- dimensions, slopes, easements, setbacks, etc.

Go to council, and ask to see a planner. Run some ideas through them on what is allowable. ie in my local council, you cant sell the two duplexes to two different people, so there is no real use in doing a duplex. But, one council north, you can strata title them, and you are allowed a two story close to the street, and only one story away from the street.

Reassess your ideas, visit council again, then see an architect/draftsman etc.

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Sounds like you have already contacted the council and determined that the block is suitable for subdivision, so no point contacting them again.

You may want to enquire if they will allow strata title or green title subdivision.

I have done a few of these, but not in Sydney.
    The first thing I do is to get a surveyor in to survey the block.

It only costs a few hundred dollars, and the builder or archietect will require the survey map for their plans / design, anyway.

In my case the surveyor does all the applications for the subdivision, liasing with the various govt. departments and council for approval, including getting quotes for me for the water, sewer connections and the additional electricity and gas connections.
    Its a painless process and as far as I am concerned, best left to the experts.

KP

Profile photo of collector jcollector j
    Participant
    @collector-j

Hi Scully,

Most councils in nsw will allow dual occupancy, I’m an agent from sydney metro, please make sure that you can atleast strata them.
    The council Area I work in prohibites strata or torrens subdivison.

We have a couple off duplexes for sale and there a nightmare to sell (all underone title)

Yes, They can be done virtually anywhere, BUT make enquries on the subdivision application

Good luck

Joseph

Profile photo of high flyerhigh flyer
    @high-flyer

Hi Scully,
    I agreed with kp, first stop is the Surveyors then off to project home builders.
    Good luck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.