All Topics / Forum Frolic / Port or Lions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

As a Melburnian and the saints have gone – who cares?

But the Lions are a great team, so I suppose it would be good to see them do it again.

Profile photo of steve3556steve3556
    @steve3556

yack

i agree to a point

i will be mowing the lawn…… with the shed radio on!!
    if it is a close match i might ditch the mower

my brother who suffered the thru the brissy bears no doubt will be hyped up no end

steve

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald

Go the lions, go lynchie! number 4 here we come !

e x

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Yack,

Call it coincidence – or someone has too much time on their hands but………..this email (or similar arrived at my work desk yesterday)

In 1900 Melbourne won the premiership
    In 2000 Melbourne lost the premiership

In 1901 Essendon won the premiership
    In 2001 Essendon lost the premiership

In 1902 Collingwood won the premiership
    In 2002 Collingwood lost the premiership

In 1903 Collingwood won the premiership
    In 2003 Collingwood lost the preiership

In 1904 Fitzroy won the premiership
    In 2004 ???? lost the premiership.

Could it happen again?

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of pete152pete152
    @pete152
    @derek
    Originally posted by Derek:

In 1904 Fitzroy won the premiership
    In 2004 ???? lost the premiership.

Could it happen again?

For those are not familiar with the degree of coincidence Fitzroy and Brisbane merged 8 ~(?) years ago.

So if the coincidence continues I believe Carlton (from memory) will lose next years AFL Grand Final

Derek
    [email protected]

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi Derek,

thats another way to make money – bet against Carlton next year…

cheers,
    Geo.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald

* sobbing * poor lions, how very sad… e x

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

1905 Finals Series
    Wed 17 July, 2002
    Graeme Atkinson
    Collingwood, always a power, came back to top the home and away ladder in 1905 with fifteen wins and two losses, two and a half games ahead of Fitzroy (second) and six games ahead of Essendon (fourth). Carlton (third) recruited fantastically well – five of their new names were ‘Mallee’ Johnson, Frank Caine, Rod McGregor, Charlie Hammond and Nor- man Clark, all of whom were to become champions. The two semi-finals resulted in great victories to Fitzroy (who more than doubled Essendon’s: score) and Carlton (who also more than doubled Collingwood’s score in a real boil-over). Percy Trotter, the brilliant Fitzroy rover, kicked six goals in a match-winning performance against Essendon which was a record for any finals match.

The following week, the two winners met with honours going easily to Fitzroy, who ran right away in the second half to win by over four goals. This meant that they were matched against Collingwood (who had been minor premiers) in the grand final. Collingwood, despite their humiliating loss to Carlton in their semi, were equal in favouritism with Fitzroy but no match in ability as it proved.The Maroons won the toss, and a slugging first quarter produced a total of only four behinds, three to the Maroons, and an equally hard second term saw the scores level a one goal three each when the interval came. On the resumption, Trotter banged home 1 goal for Fitzroy from far out. This sparked Fitzroy and after three near misses Brosnan and L Barker added further goals, before Pears replied on the bell with a shot that left Collingwood fourteen points down. Both sides had injuries by then – Condon for Collingwood and Sharp for Fitzroy. Then a scrambly but hard fought final term resulted in only one point being scored (by Collingwood) which left Fitzroy victors by thirteen points; their second successive flag and their fourth in the nine years of the VFL. When one bears in mind that they lost two other premierships by less than a goal in those years, they then must stand as one of the greatest sides in the long history of the VFL.
    RESULTS SEPTEMBER 16- FIRST SEMI- FINAL Fitzroy 5.1 8.2 12.4 12.7 (79)Essendon 0.2 2.8 4.8 4.12 (36) Carlton CG Umpire Crapp Attendance 14,000 Gate not available BEST – (Fitz) Trotter, G Barker, J Sharp, Walker, Beauchamp, Bailes, Millis, Johnson(Ess) McKenzie, McDonald, Madden, Phipps, Shea, Baxter, Callan, Barry, Davis GOALS – (Fitz) Trotter (6), Brosnan (2), Fontaine, Johnson, Millis, L Sharp(Ess) G Barker, Blackmore, McKenzie, Smith
    SEPTEMBER 16- SECOND SEMI-FINAL Carlton 4.3 5.5 8.7 11.10 (76)Collingwood 0.1 0.3 2.4 4.6 (30) MCG Umpire Norden* Attendance 14,000 Gate not available BEST – (Carl) Roland, Caine, Grace, Parke, McNeil, Flynn, Elliott, Hammond(Coll) Dummett, Green, McHale, Rush, Fraser, Pears, Angus, Gibb GOALS – (Carl) J Kennedy (2), Roland (2), Topping (2), Caine, M Grace, Elliott, Flynn, G Johnson (CoIl) Condon, Green, Nash, Stancliffe
    SEPTEMBER 23- PRELIMINARY FINAL Fitzroy 3.2 5.3 8.6 11.6(72)Carlton 3.4 4.6 6.7 6.9 (45) MCG Umpire Crapp Attendance 30,000 Gate not available BEST – (Fitz) J Johnson, Sheehan. Trotter, Milne, J Sharp, Jenkins, Naismith, L Barker, Beauchamp, Walker, Millis (Carl) Flynn, Johnson, Hammond, Snell, McGregor, Boyle, Grace, Roland, Elliott GOALS – (Fitz) Wilkinson (2), Trotter (2), Johnson (2), Milne (2), Brosnan, Millis, Walker (Carl) M Grace (2), Elliott, McGregor, Roland, Snell
    SEPTEMBER 30- GRAND FINAL Fitzroy 0.3 1.3 4.6 4.6 (30)Collingwood 0.1 1.3 2.4 2.5 (17) MCG Umpire Crapp Attendance 30,000 Gate £1,061 BEST – (Fitz) Bailes (BOG), Beauchamp, Jenkins, Moriarty, Sheehan, Naismith, Milne, Walker, Millis (Coll) Dummett, Pears, Strachan, Rush, Monohan, Green, Gibb, Nash, Drohan GOALS – (Fitz) L Barker, Brosnan, Trotter, Millis (Coll) Nash, Pears

Cheers

C@34

@derek
    Originally posted by calvin@thirty4:

SEPTEMBER 30- GRAND FINAL Fitzroy 0.3 1.3 4.6 4.6 (30)Collingwood 0.1 1.3 2.4 2.5 (17)

Hi Calvin,

Oops best go and change my bet to ‘Brisbane will lose in 2005’

Derek
    [email protected]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.