All Topics / Value Adding / Project Plan for Owner Building

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of kattankattan
    @kattan

Is there a Project Plan out there ( MS Project / Excel) for completing a (say) single level 3 bdrm brick veneer.

1. Detailed List of various Steps with brief description
    2. Steps set out in Sequence
    3. Required Trades
    4. Estimated Time Period
    5. Indicative Labour costs
    6. Estimated amount of Material
    7. Indicative Material costs

As a owner builder it will be a valuable tool for Scheduling and Managing subcontractors and give an idea of the costs as well.

Kattan

Profile photo of theloanarrangertheloanarranger
    @theloanarranger

hi Kattan,

Don’t know of any offhand, but you might try Owner Builder magazine, lots of people share their ideas + plenty of trades specializing in O/B advertise in it.

Cheers

theloanarranger

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

There is no specific guideline for the information you require because it varies from region to region [labor costs], project to project [schedule of materials] and month to month [material costs].

I recommend contacting a local contractor to discuss the above and the general steps involved in building a 3 bedroom dwelling.

— Michael

Profile photo of kattankattan
    @kattan

I did find a website http://www.homebuildingmanual.com with relevant Info but sounds American. will the building practices vary a lot?
    Kattan

Profile photo of SeanoSeano
    @seano

you could get help from a builder or an architect to advise you on the process or they may have the info that you are after, a lot of you trades men will have done similar developments and will be a bundle of info if you are in there good books. You could try reading “an intelligent guide to Aust poperty developing”

good luck let us no about your owner builder experiance.

Seano

Profile photo of tjdtjd
    @tjd

As an architect I am not aware of any software that could guide you through these milestones. I think that building a new home as an owner builder would be a difficult task unless you had some experience in the building process as say a carpenter or plumber. There are a lot of factors to consider, eg insurances (home warranty, workers compensation, builders all risk, PL), coordinating trades on site, arranging delivery of materials, approvals, certificate of occupancy etc etc. It would be important to have all documentation in place (esp home warranty insurance) if you decided to sell the property within 6 years as you would be liable for any building defect that the new owner recognised. It may be better for you to use the services of a builder or project manager who could advise you on these sort of details; you could still operate as an owner builder but the project manager would give timely advice to you as the building progressed.

Profile photo of MJTMJT
    @mjt

Hi Kattan,

I saw a few programs at Hervey Normans that might be good. It looks like you design your own top to bottom and can see it all – that sort of thing. They look USA so it might not be relevant.

[computer]

Matt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.