All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Looking for good adviser

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of bbinvestbbinvest
    Participant
    @bbinvest

I’m located in the Newcastle area, but would see someone a bit further away (e.g. Sydney) if they were good at what they do.

I’ve been to see a few “financial advisers” but have come away less than impressed. I went to one place who wanted $500 to do a plan and then $2000+ for the first year to join their “system”. I asked if I could just pay for their services by the hour on an ad-hoc basis, they said no, I ran a mile.

I went to another who was just being a salesman for the company for which he was an agent. I didn’t believe he had my interests in mind, just his own commission.

I’m after someone who will go over my current situation and plans with me and make recommendations, but is not like the two examples above.

Can anyone recommend someone?

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Hi Brendon,

Just thought I’d give you my humble opinion here but…

Don’t bother with financial advisors. I believe that very often they do have their own (or their employer’s) interests at heart. I also believe that the more closely you follow someone’s advice, the more likely you are to end up in a similar position to them. What does a financial planner/advisor earn and how many hours a week do they work? How long would they survive without their job? Personally I don’t know too many financial advisors but the two that I have spoken to in my life time were not going to lead me to the financial destination that I seek.

Do you have your own plans? Do you simply need the advice of a good mortgage broker to obtain finance and/or the advice of a good accountant to explain how your plans will affect your situation?

Regards
    Sonja

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

brendon, it really depends on what you’re looking for. A mortgage broker can tell you how much money you can borrow, but would be unwise to “advise” you in your general affairs- one has to be licenced to advise.

Brendon, don’t you have an accountant? A decent accountant will look at your situation and advise you, and won’t be trying to flog off a product to you, although they might have their own biases- but who doesn’t?

If you have any general questions with regarde to property, you xcould always ask on the Forum and many people will be happy to give you an opinion- for free :)

kay henry

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Brendon,

I am in Newcastle and always keen to meet new people.

I wont give you any formal advice, nor will I charge or try to sell you anything. I love chatting property with like minded people and am quite willing to talk ideas and strategies.

So if you are up for a coffee or a beer drop me an email.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

NODOC Loan – 65% Loan – No questions asked! 6.85% Rate!!

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.