All Topics / Help Needed! / masonette homes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of shane gshane g
    @shane-g

Hi all,
    I know this might sound silly but I was wondering what the term “masonette” meant as I have never heard of this term before.
    I have seen this type of dwelling in parts of SA and was interested to know if anyone has had experience in investing in this kind of setup.
    Could you also let me know why they are cheaper and would anyone advise against them as an investment?
    Thanks,
    Shane

sg

Profile photo of everdineeverdine
    @everdine

Hi Shane,
    Here is SA a maisonette is normally semi-detached unit, with 2 3BR homes joined in the middle. Many were originally built by the housing trust.
    You need to research the areas they are in and the rental return etc.
    We haven’t bought any but some people have done well with them.

All the best, Diane

Profile photo of shane gshane g
    @shane-g

Thanks Diane,
    So are you saying they are generally built in no go zones as far as good tennants are concerned?
    The one’s I seen didn’t seem to be semi’s but were much cheaper than a standard home in the the same area,can you,or anyone elaborate on why this is the case?
    Thanks,
    Shane.

sg

Profile photo of mummum
    @mum

Hi Shane

There are maisonettes in lots of areas in Adelaide, not necessarily in no-go zones and not always built by Housing Trust. Probably cheaper because there is less land. Also because the demand for them is less. And they tend to be smaller than stand alone houses in the same area.

For maisonettes, you would need to double check on the neighbours (as you would for a townhouse), and any requirements to keep the 2 properties similar in appearance, etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.