All Topics / Opinionated! / I want to be a Real Estate Agent

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of TruTru
    @tru

I’m interested in pursuing a career in real estate. Migrated here in Melbourne 13 months ago; worked overseas for about 12 years; have BS degree and finished mba. Would appreciate any advice on how best to start a career in the real estate industry.

Many thanks.

Audaces Fortuna Luvat!

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

see you have a bs degree so you should do well. good luck!

Profile photo of alwayscuriousalwayscurious
    Participant
    @alwayscurious

Too fast for me aussie rogue! I was thinking the same thing – I’ve met many an agent who has a degree in BS. heheh.
    In fact, it’s a prerequisite for a lot of things!

‘Fortune favours the brave’

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Try, its your choice – there are alot of negativity around about the person Im going to mention – so its your choice. Im not saying its a good job or not, ethical or not – its just a job im suggesting…

Lewis Realty – something like that. It belongs to Niel jenman and they employ ordinary ppl who want to become agents and pay them $50k+ – hard work but good money…your choice.

alternatively, you can just walk into Real Estate offices and tell them that you’d love to work for them as an agent – Im sure some will train you up so as to receive your license.

kind regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Just get your sales licence – training should take about 5 days and your away (if you can find a job that is@!). Once you are working if may be wise to consider studying for your full licence, so once you have 2 years experience you can open your own agency. (I have heard you don’t even need the experience now in NSW).

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Tru,

You might want to try this link out for a start- shows you places where you can do the TAFE course in Vic:

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cbav/fairsite.nsf/pages/of_homesrent_ea_tafe

Given your academic background, you might also want to do a degree in some aspect of RE- land economics, becoming a valuer etc. Most Uni’s now offer these degrees.

kay henry

Profile photo of TruTru
    @tru

Thank you guys for your suggestions. Will go and check the site and will do what you’ve suggested.

Audaces Fortuna Luvat!

Profile photo of equitykingequityking
    @equityking

Choosing to become a real estate agent is a great decision, however of course I”m biased.
    My advice would be:

Always keep the big picture in mind, at first you’ll be investing a lot of time.

Work for someone you trust and are proud to be associated with.

Stay away from any ‘Jenman Approved’ agencies

Good luck

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Or, for a bit of Forum balance… you could visit his website to see what Jenman’s about:

http://jenman.com.au/

kay henry

Profile photo of blondie_becblondie_bec
    Participant
    @blondie_bec

Tru,
    To become an agent and work for an agency you will need to complete:
    Certificate IV in Business
    (Real Estate Sales)
    Pretty sure you can complete it through TAFE or go to REI (Real Estate Institute) in your state and they also should run the course through there and costs about $1,000.
    Once you have the paper work you should be able to get a job anywhere because most Real Estate agents these days are on 100% commission so I doesn’t really cost the agency anything to hire you. It’s not necessarily all fun and games as you can tell from the 100% commission – if you don’t sell you don’t get paid and if you don’t sell some agencies are pretty quick to give you the boot.
    If it’s what you really want though go for it and go hard at it! Gook Luck and best wishes!
    Blondie[cowboy]

Profile photo of Smart CookieSmart Cookie
    Participant
    @smart-cookie

I’m a licensed agent in NSW.

When I first wanted a career in RE, about 13 years ago, I basically hit the pavement and door knocked real estate agencies and personally hand delivered my resume. I would have delivered over 100.

I persisted and persisted and it’s amazing what happens. I had to sit for several interviews but I eventually got there.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Smart Cookie

T (02) 9501-2531
    F (02) 9501-2541
    M 0408-440-453
    W http://www.smartcookie.com.au

Profile photo of clare kclare k
    Participant
    @clare-k

My intention had been to work in real estate however my current job as a mortgage broker fell into my lap and I haven’t looked back since. Lots of hard work but I think considerably more flexibility. May be something for you to consider!

Cheers
    Clare
    [email protected]

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Tru

I’m interested in pursuing a career in real estate.

To work as an agent in sales for a real estate agent, you don’t need any course, license or degree.
    All you need is guts and someone who will trust you will make him some money.

If you want to work as a property manager you need even less, and jobs abound since people last on average 6 month.

The money is of course in sales and in NSW it works like this: You get paid some 30k a year and no commission until you can prove yourself. After a certain quota is covered you start getting a percentage of the agents commission and depending on the area you work in your commission will be good money or lousy. So it pays to choose a reputable agent in a suburb in high demand and with higher than average prices.

The name of the franchise you choose does not necessarily mean much since your experience will depend on the owner and not the sign at the front Having said that, my daughter worked for Remax and had a rather poor experience purely on the way that franchise works.

A career in sales is a good way to get training and a stepping stone for personal growth and success. I strongly recommend it.
    Consider reading the book “The Greatest Salesman In the World”
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/055327757X/002-5497094-2887264?v=glance

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

marc, I just read a few pages of the book online and it looks brilliant! very ‘richest man in babylon-esque!’

joy to the world

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Is that the Og Mandino book?

You’d like them Mini…

NSW REA sounds better than WA, where you have to earn your keep, no sales – no wage, plus you have to support yourself at the start.

Even Jenmans agencies (or the one i’ve spoken to whilst looking at IP’s) you are put on a training wage, you chase sales leads for the other agents whilst training, then if you are competent you get a job offer with wage and sales bonuses..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

Hi Tru,

Hmmm, do you really think being an agent today is worth it? In my area 2 agencies have closed down and amalgamated with other agencies in other areas. I think these people are “battening down the hatches” for the lean times to come.
    I now also get pamphlets in the mail all the time from REA’s introducing themselves and begging me to sell my home.
    Becoming a REA today would be like opening up a wagon wheel fabrication plant!

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

real estate – over regulated and will continue to be more so. over supplied with agents… its a tough gig. at least selling cars has set hours!

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of prdnationwide1prdnationwide1
    @prdnationwide1

Hi
    Visited Vic last year and was super imoressed with how Phillip Webb runs his business.
    Knock on his door.
    I learnt more from him than you ever will from Mr Jenman
    Darren

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.