All Topics / General Property / Property Data

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of elika7264elika7264
    @elika7264

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you regularly check ABS data to assist in your property purchases. Which particular stats do you review (can you provide the catalogue number).[blink]

Much appreciated.

Regards,[cap]
    Helen

Profile photo of YorkerYorker
    @yorker

abs is well worth subscribing to.

Profile photo of luckyoneluckyone
    @luckyone

How do you reply to abs, yorker?

Thanks,
    Luckyone

Profile photo of DomoDomo
    @domo

I was able to graph some ABS data , it is housing purchases for each state , if anyone is interested I could email you the graph . ( I am not sure how much help it would be )

Does anyone know where to look in ABS fro more specific data ?
    If you could get data for a specified suburb it could come in very handy.
    Does anyone know if can get purchase prices from ABS ????

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Domo,

Take a look at http://www.reports.rpdata.com.au and select the state, then suburb of your choice. It’s not a comprehensive graph, but it does have some valuable info.

Cheers, [biggrin]

Jo

@domo
    Originally posted by Monopoly:

Domo,

Take a look at http://www.reports.rpdata.com.au and select the state, then suburb of your choice. It’s not a comprehensive graph, but it does have some valuable info.

Cheers, [biggrin]

Jo

Jo
    Thanks again I will have a look at it to see if I can decipher it !!!!![upsidedown]
    [specool]

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

On ABS I look at the Free Data, then I also check out the RP data site and then I usually call the council for the area I’m thinking of investing and see what info they will send out too. Often this is a bit more current.

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of elika7264elika7264
    @elika7264

Hi PurpleKiss,

you noted:

I usually call the council for the area I’m thinking of investing and see what info they will send out too. Often this is a bit more current.

Specifically what information do you request? [blink]

Regarding the free data through ABS — what items do you research?[blink]

Regards,
    Helen[biggrin]

@domo

In ABS I was able to find Building approvals data from December 2002 to Nov 2003 , this gives you a break down of each state. The data is for new buildings so it gives an indication of how many new buildings & the money spent for each state.
    Does anyone know what other information is available in ABS eg: do it contain housing prices for suburb’s ???

Profile photo of YCYC
    Participant
    @yc

Hi elika7264,

I’ve been using this site as a reference for information in suburbs. It’s not cheap when goes down to street level info but it looks to be really specific and detailed – sorry can’t give you more info on that since I’d been only using the free one. Let me know if it’s good when you do purchase any report from them. Or can anyone here provide any info on this?

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    YC

@domo
    Originally posted by YC:

Hi elika7264,

I’ve been using this site as a reference for information in suburbs. It’s not cheap when goes down to street level info but it looks to be really specific and detailed – sorry can’t give you more info on that since I’d been only using the free one. Let me know if it’s good when you do purchase any report from them. Or can anyone here provide any info on this?

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    YC

YC
    I had a quick look & found that homepriceguide gets it’s data from a number of sources as stated below not just ABS…

9. Where do we get our data?
    The Home Price Guides include data obtained from a variety of sources – real estate agents, state governments, real estate advertisements (print and electronic) and our own auction reporters. Private treaty sales come from the state-based Valuers-General or equivalent in each state and the auction results are obtained directly from the auctioning agent by our own researchers and monitors.

I am still interested in finding some free data as you would think that some of the data we are searching for is available to the public.
    So the search continues !!!!![suave3]

@domo

I have been looking for more info & found a vicgov site which sells info as well which sounds interesting.
    Has anyone used info from the site below ?

http://www.land.vic.gov.au/land/lcnlc2.nsf/Home+Page/Land+Channel~Home+Page?open

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Hi Helen,

When I ring the council I usually ask for the planning divison (although this is called different things in differnet councils). Once I have that area, I ask if they have any information they can send me regarding the area and future palnning for the area. Most councils have 5 or 10 year plans for their area. Trying to find the right person to get this info is the hardest bit. But give it a go.

OK, when I go to the Free info on the ABS, I look at things like the population (remember it is 2001 data), and whether that has increased or decreased compared to the 1996 data. I also look at the % of people renting ie: if the town has 50% renting and the population is 10,000, then I know there are 5000 renters who may change houses at some point in time ie: their situation changes and where they currently reside no longer suits. If only 1% we’re tenants then I might be concerned as the possible number of tenants who may ever look for a house is very small. On the other hand is something major is happening in the twon that will attract tenants then the number of renters doesn’t matter, then it’s the number of reantal homes available that matters. So it pays to ring agents int he area and pretend you’re a tenant and see if they have a long lis of vacant houses or hardly anything available.

When I get the info from the council I see if it rings true with the ABS and if not, whether there’s reason ie: perhaps a major development is happening and so population growth is expected. Need to then assess the likelyhood of that happening etc.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Census_BCP_Free_ASGC_ViewTemplate?ReadForm&Expand=1

I also do searches on the net as some councils have quite a lot of inforamtion on line.

Hope it helps a bit, really it’s just my starting point, got to start somewhere.

Good luck
    PK

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.