All Topics / Forum Frolic / Philanthropy – who gives?

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of alwayscuriousalwayscurious
    Participant
    @alwayscurious

I beleive Giving is sowing seeds. Seeds of money. Like investing.

I give to a sponsor child, our church, various missionaries, the Salvos, visiting speakers at our church, people that come to the door, people in the street, friends (coffees or whatever) etc.

One of the goals in wealth creation is to always have something in my pocket or hand so I can give it away!

In fact giving is one thing I find it hard to budget for. I do a budget and then blammo, someone needs money – so out goes the budget! :)

I am also learning about giving to my family and myself. This is hard for me to grasp – it’s about being generous in all aspects!

My thinking is that this is one of the major reasons I was created.

Sometimes I feel a bit like a hose – the money flows in, and right out again!

Ah well. :)

PS – I also give blood – so see you there emcdonald!

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald

it’s nice to see that we have some generous and kind hearted people on the forum, i think people really are ‘giving’ at heart.
    I remember when i was five and my family was on holiday in NSW, i got lost walking home from the park (you wouldn’t beleive how lost you can get as a five year old)anyway it was winter and getting dark so i did what most kids would do, sat down and started crying.
    A few minutes later a lady found me and took me home and sat me down to have dinner with her family and watch tv with the other kids and she personally rang every hotel, motel and holiday destination looking for my parents (no mean feat).

anyway that story has little bearance on the topic here but the kindness of strangers never fails to surprise me.

e x

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I give to St Vincent de Pauls.
    I like them because they help the local community.

Of course there are many good causes. Just pick the one that feels right to you, that you are interested in, that you are drawn to

cheers-
    Mini

PS Emcdonald, you said ‘i think people really are ‘giving’ at heart.

I agree.
    i think this is our natural state. When we are happy and not in fear it’s easy.

“the kindness of strangers never fails to surprise me.”

Maybe one day you will be able to tend to ‘expect’ kindness and be ‘surprised’ by unkindness. Like when you were five.

Expect to find good and you will. Expect the opposite and you will get that too. Your perception of the world and what you expect to see dictates what you see – and notice – as your ‘real world’.

That’s actually a scientific truth on a quantum level, and I’m sure it’s just a matter of time until people realise it’s true for everything.

God I’m deep.

Profile photo of elika7264elika7264
    @elika7264

Hi All,

this post is directed to Geo. You noted:

The difference is that I can either give it to World Vision who will end up giving 70% to Sudanese ppl or I can just give 100% to the Sudanese ppl – see the difference.

I agree with you. But how can you give direct so that 100% of your contribution finds it’s way to the people who need it most.[blink]

Just a thought. Why don’t we as a community select one or two charities and support them as a group. eg. every time you buy or sell a property — donate a small amount (say $100); every time you get a new tenant — donate say $10 to the fund. I don’t know how this could be set up. eg bpay or other method. If anyone out there has some experience in setting up a fund, please share your knowledge. Any other thoughts????[biggrin]

Helen

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi Helen,

it works well if you know a family over there or an un-paid charity working here or there for the sake of the poor – there are always ways – where theres a will, theres a way…

Kind regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

@emcdonald

Hi Helen,

Why don’t we as a community select one or two charities and support them as a group. eg. every time you buy or sell a property — donate a small amount (say $100);

what a great idea, the only conlflict is the choice of charity. Everyone has certain causes closer to their heart than others (mine’s children) but the idea’s sound. No idea how you would go about setting it up though…

e x

@emcdonald

perhaps we could set up a fund for struggling investors? (j/k)

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Helen,

im a struggling investor[biggrin]

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

@elika7264

Geo,

Nice try[biggrin]

Regards,
    Helen

@elika7264

Hi All,

posted by emcdonald
    what a great idea, the only conlflict is the choice of charity. Everyone has certain causes closer to their heart than others (mine’s children) but the idea’s sound. No idea how you would go about setting it up though…

There are so many worthwhile charities that gaining agreement shouldn’t be that difficult[blink]. I think the problem is in how to set it up, manage it and I guess set in place some audit guidelines. Perhaps there is someone out there with either a legal or accounting background who could provide some advice.

But I suppose the first step is to gauge the potential response from forum members before proceeding too far.

Regards,
    Helen[cap]

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

Don’t wait till you are wealthy or dead..

I spent some time with a wealthy, single, lonely old man in London in 2000 (friend of my Dad). He spends the year travelling the world on those expensive cruise ships trying to alleviate his loneliness.

His money is not working to bring him much happiness, you are lonely whether you are in England or in Mexico. I can’t help but think his attitude to life is partly responsible, you tend to get back what you give out in life I think.

We spent a lot of time walking around his local park, it’s a beautiful park which is huge and free to enjoy for all. It’s the sort of park which brings much joy to many people, and you can spend a lot of time just looking at the beautiful young nannies the wealthy families hire to look after their kids …(don’t get distracted)… Anyway.. He mentioned that he was leaving the park some money in his will he enjoyed it so much. I asked “Why not leave them some money now?” He didn’t seem to like that suggestion.

If you are waiting to accumulate x$ before you contribute to society then what makes you think your attitude will change then? Don’t wait, contribute now.

I made a post on Somersoft http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17110&highlight=utility
    which I think has some relevance. $100 to you might mean you can have a nice meal at a restaraunt, $100 to another person might mean they can buy their child schoolbooks for the term. Huge difference in the happiness that $100 brings to the world.

WaySolid

“Write the wrongs that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on marble.” Arab proverb

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

good post waysolid

Profile photo of trisha007trisha007
    @trisha007

I agree to waysolid, why accumulate wealth to horde it!

The best feeling in the world comes from giving or doing a good turn for someone,

How many selfish people do you know that are happy?

Trisha[eh]

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

nice words of wisdom way solid[grad]

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.