All Topics / Opinionated! / who agrees’??

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 116 total)
  • Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

your right marc 1. lets take it further and abolish all foreign aid and let all people and all countries fend for themselves. victims everywhere….cant anybody get it right..

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

WOW !!!
    You guys disagreed to agree..

someone say something contentious so we can get off track again

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Ha ha kp it’s all part of the fun.

As for “keeping on track” …. what track?[blink]

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

You’re funny Marc,
    Enjoy reading your provocative posts…..

Cheers beers….

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

I don’t have a lot of time to do the things I enjoy at the moment (ie read all the threads on this forum) but I’ve just read this from start to finish and I have dediced to add my personal experience rather than my personal opinion.

At the tender age of 4 years and several months my mother gave me the choice of attending either Padstow Park School (public) or …(am allowed to say) @#%*bank C of E (private) school. Sensing that this decision was of great importance to my mother I gave it weighty consideration and chose @#%*bank C of E school as I thought I’d far prefer to work in a bank than in a park (4yo logic for you hehe).

My parents scrimped and saved to send me to the private school. At first the most obvious difference between me and my peers was the fact that we (or our parents) supported different football teams. My mum dropped me off and picked me up in the old HR with the blue and white Canterbury Bulldogs streamers while most of the other kids had parents with Mercs or BMW’s with no streamers hanging off the aerials – the kids simply stated who they supported and that was enough to make me realise that I came from a different area. Football was big back then.

I stayed at that school from kindergarten to half way through year 9. I was never considered a local and I was not in the same socioeconomic league as my peers. I felt alone, isolated and out of place – never really accepted or part of the crowd.

Half way through year 9 a particular incident between myself and a teacher was the catalyst for finally changing to the public system with my parents (dissapointment and) consent. I refused to go to the local high school as it was co-ed and I was terrified of boys. I managed to convince the authorities that I would be better off at the closest Girls High School at East Hills. Life became a lot easier for me both socially and academically.

Socially I was on an even footing with my peers. This was a relief at the time. Looking back it also led me into temptation. I could not believe what these girls got up to and got away with. Both in school and out. They were my first real friends and I got involved in a whole heap of stuff I hope my own kids don’t.

Academically I was so far ahead that I didn’t need to take notes or keep books. The stuff that was being taught was revision. I had already learned everything that the public school was teaching. It was a source of grievance to my teachers that I refused to take notes in an exercise book but was able to achieve test results that placed me in the top couple of students for my year.

Draw your own conclusions. I can interpret several of my own from the experience and I’m stuck as to where to send my kids to school. I’ve only got a year to make up my mind though…

Nobody is perfect – even parents they (we) make the best decisions they know how at the time. The private school I attended was a curse and a blessing, just the same at the public one.

Cheers
    Sonja

PS. Did you know that in some states in Australia preschool for 4 year olds (up to 2 days per week) is free (ie Govt. funded) and in others it is at the parents expense (some Centerlink rebates available depending on family income)? I am on the management committee at my daughter’s preschool (in NSW where we parents have to pay) and this was mentioned at the last meeting in relation to the upcomming election. Just a side issue that interests me at the moment…

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Sonja
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I experienced something similar when I got a scholarship to a top girls school. It’s one of the reasons I support school uniforms – the great “equaliser”. I used to hate free dress days! It was one of the few things I disliked about going there!! hehe
    One thing I’ve been thinking about – a major criticism of private schools is that they’re elitist. If you take away a portion of their funding, and they become more expensive, meaning less people can afford them – doesn’t that just make them MORE elitist?

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Guys,

great topic you have going…

but to be serious and honest.. im a public high school boy… and really proud of it… never really muched liked the way private school boys dressed, acted and played football… (and do please understand i did also attend 1 private high school – Actually 5 High Schools in total.

though, there is a difference in education, but honestly the biggest thing i’ve always noted is that the public students have more street sense and awarness, while private studetns are more aware of near future choices that are needed to be made…

but at the end of the day.. i truly found its not what you learnt at school or what your grades were, (actually i barely passed yr 12… i graduated and unfortuantely did not pass any subjects at all… except for Business and IT.)

but its how the student performs in the real world… and this i do believe is the real test…

honestly, back in high school i always thought it was a waste of time to attend and a waste of money…

today… the same students who i see who went to private schools, or public schools are no better than each other, but just equal… but the persepective in many of them, is that they think each to one, themselves is better than the other.

i guess now… lol.. you guys can now see, why im called “Sis”

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

sis,

I think you’re right about the perception of schoolkids- some thinking they are better than others. Even in my mother’s innocent days… she said children used to say to other kids, “Catholics, Catholics, ring the bell… publics, publics, go to hell.” hehe. It’s silly, but is indicative of how kids can distinguish between each other.

I think another point is that… it doesn’t matter how much money you pay for your kid’s education- a child who isn’t very academically skilled, can’t be made so by throwing money into their education. Educational outcomes will often be determined by the child themselves.

Another factor is the parent’s own attitude to education- if a parent sees it as important, then so might the child. I see “values” as more taught within the home, than as the responsibility of the school- kids will learn more from what is modelled at home, than in any classroom or playground.

At my school, kids got segregated in around Year 10… those who would be going on to Years 11 and 12.. and those that would be presumed to be leaving. So they had more “vocational” preparatory classes for those in the latter group, and more academic emphasis on those in the former group. I didn’t understand it at the time, but that was certainly establishing a class division even then into the “hidden curriculum”.

kay henry

Participant
    @1winner

Kay, I must disagree with one point you make.

You say that a kid that is not “academically skilled” will not improove regardless of money spent.

Any kid possessing all his thinking faculties intact, can be in theory be tought to become any profession you like. You cannot make him brilliant, but you can make him a functional doctor, solicitor, dentist, vet, plumber, carpenter, and even a musician, writer painter or sculptor.

The difference is purely economic. The brighter the kid is, the easily he can do it by himself and costs little money. Some kids would cost more to make and other will cost a lot. So it is exclusivley an economic decision.

The education system is made for the average and caters for the average, the brilliant and the challeneged fall by the side. Yet both can be made into whatever we want if we have the resources and choose to use them for that purpose.

Marc

@kay-henry

Well, Marc, given that to become a doctor, lawyer or vet, it requires a TER of around 99.4… then I don’t agree that you can throw money at students and have them get these kind of marks. They either have it or they don’t.

kay henry

Participant
    @1winner

How so? If money is no objection you can have private tuition from year 7 onwards in order to achieve 100% no problem. That is not my opinion by the way it is fact.

The ONLY issue is cost, and this cost is not only money.
    I agree that it would be impractical and absurd to train every single high school kid as a professional, so because we need trade and employees we allow “natural selection” and the survival of the fittest in a primitive and inefficient education system.

Nevertheless if you are determined for your kid to become an astronaut, this can be done and it is just an economical issue.

Marc

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Riddle: How do you change a light globe?
    Answer: You can’t, the light globe has got to want to change!!! [lmao]

I know this is not really the same thing, it’s just a silly (and very very old) joke, but I couldn’t resist!!! Your argument about the possiblity of turning your kids into whatever you want them to be (academically) via monetary transfusions just triggered the memory of this joke and I wanted to share it!!!

Jo

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

we talk about wanting our kids to have great or the best educations so they can becomew doctors, lawyers, astronauts etc. half of my family are doctors and the truth is heaps of doctors have social problems including drugs and drink, as do lawyers. just ask insurance companies who now charge huge premiums for this type of job (salary insurance) and they will tell you same (stress and anxiety disorders). so this again becomes the crux of the matter. why is going to a private school a great thing? why is achieving 99 pct a great thing. why is a being a doctor a great thing. just to prove it – my best friend went to a public school, got C grades and is a plumber. great bloke. see!!!

i also went to a school where 95 pct of people who are now proffessionals, as is myself. heres what ive learnt. alot of success in our world comes down to a few things
    – conforming to sociatal norms
    – playing the system. (especially with regards to school grades
    – being part of a particlar socio economic group.

even the least cynical of us would recognise there is a certain truth to these statements. so if you agree then you also would also agree that these reasons should in a healthy society be in-valid. they are about deception and conformity. hardly the things of a vibrant, free thinking society.

when you redefine what success IS – you will then naturally understand that private school education is not the ‘be all and end all’ to the future success of your child.

it may be the best alternative for your child, no problems with that – but lest not place such a huge emphasis on it that it helps perpertuate the madness. hehe

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted

Don’t agree!!!

If funding for public schools is the answer to their woes, remember The STATES fund the public schools.

The state goverments particulary NSW have shown they are useless in money management in education and health. Record revenues have turned into deficits (NSW). The $1 billion defecit in NSW of wasted taxpayers money could improve public school infrastructure).

Rather then look at the problems within the public system directly it is always the lefty’s way to blame someone/something else (gee the rifle range did it ;-)

A lot of people from varied classes are of the believe that their child will get a better education and gain other values of respect etc at a private school. The kid may turn out bad in the end but the parents think at least they are trying to point them in the right direction.

Its all classes that send their kids to private schools (yet the leftys argument always centres around Scotts or Kings, which are way different to the norm private schools).

Private schools get around 22%? off their funding by the state government, the gap needed to run the private school is made up by the federal goverment. So of course the private schools get more federal dollars.

Of interest would be to know the combined state + federal funding to particular private and public schools. To see how it is spent and the results each school achieves.
    If a private or public school has a rifle range or swimming pool that is directly funded by the parents SO WHAT.

If the feds didnt make up the difference and the poorer private schools (yes there is such a thing, no rifle range sorry) were left to fail, the public sytem would buckle under the influx. Imagine the Carr goverment trying to buy back the land that’s just been sold in the public schools to extent or build new schools.

How ever I think the problem is two fold ;-)

Whilst infrastructure is important the quality of the teachers needs to be measurable and then rewarded as well.

A teachers performance based system in public schools would go a long way to improving childrens education, as hopefully the useless teachers get weeded out of the system and the good performers rewarded thus encouraging them to stay.

The teachers federations argument is that it wants the higher rates of pay to “get the best” however the best must be measurable otherwise you could get more weeds.

The private system is more measurable and the teachers appear more content working in that system over the public one.

PRIVATISE THE LOT!! ;-)

Participant
    @1winner

Aussie, you make a few good points, however…
    we are mixing the subjects even further.

I think that success must be defined in order to have a debate about what it is.

We may want to define success as the achievement of a goal. So… if my goal is to become a doctor, the day I have my graduation ceremony I have succeeded. If my goal is to be happy, the day I am happy I have succeeded.

The point about private schools is that they give the kid additional tools to achieving a goal that they would otherwise be ill equipped to achieve.
    In this restricted definition they give tools for success.

Now if you are talking about some ill defined “success in life” and see then professionals who having succeeded in acquiring some social and financial status now fail in your eyes because they drink or are unhappy, I am afraid you have now broadened the scope of school far beyond it’s reach.

If you expect a private or public school to produce happy prosperous successful people, with the curriculum we have you are dreaming. No such school exists, not private nor public.

Just like you make some examples of unhappy doctors or layers, I see every week scores of unhappy and suicidal tradesman and employees that cannot make ends meet. Becoming a plumber is no guarantee of happiness (if happiness is the measure of success and that has not been defined yet) as it is not to become a doctor.

Yet I can state without a shadow of doubt that you have much more chances to be happy as a doctor than you have as a plumber, and this is just laws of average.

But who says that school is to make happy people?

We are failing to include the family of this hypothetical kid here, and it is such entity, conceded not very p.c. this days of attempting to make mum and DAD fade into oblivion, that needs to be considered as the forge that will produce with the help of school a new individual.

Balanced and adjusted or not, as a product of a long process that started at birth and continues all his/her life.

So to the original debate about why private schools I say: Why? Because you want to give your child all the tools he can have to achieve.

To achieve what, you say?
    That is another entirely different matter.

The setting of goals is personal and so someone may go to King School to be a successful plumber, another will go to become a successful doctor and a third perhaps to become a successful criminal. All will succeed in achieving such goals because the King School is designed for precisely that.

Now later in life we come to know that the plumber cheats on his wife and the doctor steels Rohypnol from the pills cabinet, whilst the criminal is in gaol.

Should we blame it on private education? Too much pressure to achieve?
    I don’t think so, a person’s balance and happiness is a goal in itself, so it is the goal setting process that has failed.
    If a person has set a goal of becoming a doctor but has forgotten to plan for happiness and balance, he has succeeded in one department and failed in another. Is the school to blame? Probably not, and the blame is most likely on the parents.

What happens sometimes is that people do plan for happiness but mistakenly think that they can only achieve one, and become either an unhappy professional or a happy nobody, and choose the “happy nobody” The point is that one can succeed in more than one aspect and success in a profession must not come at the expenses of happiness in life.

I could add that the choice of the “happy nobody” is aided greatly by the popular wisdom that poor is spiritual and rich is evil but made that point already clear in other occasions.

Jo, the point I made before that anyone can be trained to become whatever we want and that such is only an economical proposition is a simple as it sounds.
    It is not practical for many reasons but that does not take away fromthe fact that any kid can be trained to become almost any trade profession or art form we desire, it is only a matter of time and money. Extreem? Yes, but not wrong.

Marc

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

marc 1 – you make some very valid points.

and in the main i agree. my point about doctors and lawyers was that they are like everyone else – happy and unhappy. you are right that in general they are probably happier than plumbers but the reason for this is that they are afforded more status by others, than that which is afforded to plumbers. when you are ‘heard’ purely becuase of your vocation – life can be good!

think about this however. i believe you (marc 1) are trying to imagine a world/society where evryone has a higher level of consciencousness with regards to personal development/financial achievement etc. that being poor is a state of mind. this is your thing. valid arguement.

what if i were to say to you that we (australia) have already achived that!! that infact per person we are happier, healthier and wealthier than most of the worlds population.

then why do we feel so bad?? why is it that you think we can all have more?? why is it not good enough for what you consider poor here in australia to still be amongst the wordls 10 pct richest people.

happiness, status, wealth etc is all relative and is a state of mind. remind yourself constantly that you are infact already rich and you feel feel happier and less anxious.

with regards to private schools and giving one the tools to succeed. yes i think this would be a very healthy way to approach thinking about sending your child to a private school. and there is no doubt they give you better tools too reach your goals. although must admit that whilst at school my real goals had something more to do with eating jam donnuts and later on (high school) chasing girls. i did have some other more serious goals planted there by my parents and peer group some of which fortunaly i never achieved. in hindsight i really belive in the adage ‘be careful what you wish for’. the problem with your overall concept about providing the tools is that you give people far to much credit for knowing what they want and what they need especially at such an early age.

if we as parents had a hidstory of sound decision making then your ideas / ideology would make perfect sense. but we dont. see my previous message about divorse rates, cigarette smoking, keeping up with the jones’s.

heres something that makes me smile. the push to get rid off bullying in the schoolyard. nothing wrong with the pricipal apart from the fact that we think its the kids problem. equally as endemic is bullying in the workplace and this is perpetuated by adults, parents etc. so why then do we think these same adults will then teach there kids not to bully in the schoolyard. its a silly concept because people dont understand that its not just the kids who dont understand the consequenses of there actions – its the parents..

we adults constantly get things wrong. again all im saying is have some perspective.

cheers

@kay-henry

Here’s an email on the topic that I got sent last week- it’s doing the rounds. I think some of you may enjoy it- it’s cute :O)

kay henry

The bottom of the class war

September 16, 2004

MY dear Mr Latham,

I understand you’ve eschewed crudity since defeating that lovely Kim Beazley chap, but absit invidia, you are a beastly, beastly man.

Advanced Dressage classes were hopelessly disrupted this morning as word spread of Labor’s communistic plot to target needy students in decent schools.

Nobody could calm the horses and my friend Quentin might have been seriously injured had Wasim, his valet, not broken the fall.

Uneducated people who exercise their democratic right not to send their children to schools like ours imagine everyone around here is spectacularly well-heeled.

Ignoratio elenchi.

I have a pal (to avoid embarrassment, he shall remain anonymous) who is driven to school in an Australian car. Most mornings he tells the chauffeur to drop him around the corner to avoid the shame.

Another friend’s family, Mr Latham, is actually eligible for your fair-dinkum-ease-the-squeeze tax relief. Admittedly, his daddy is a sugar farmer who owns 5 per cent of Queensland, but they employ a smashing accountant who insists all the government subsidies – sorry, incentives – don’t need to be declared.

And that lovely Brendan Nelson man is right. Many families make enormous sacrifices to send their darlings here. Pa has at least five jobs – he’s on the board of Qantas, Westpac, Coles Myer, News Limited and Rio Tinto – and Mummy cut the St Moritz ski-trip to one week this year. Admittedly, we spent the rest of the break at Euro Disney.

Everyone here is furious about your callousness, and intent on taking up arms in your pathetic – and, to be frank, psychopathic – class war.

A school rally is being organised, it’s just a matter of finding a spare evening. We have sailing on Mondays, bridge on Tuesdays, Latin on Wednesdays and real tennis on Thursdays. Friday’s difficult for the next few weeks. It’s impossible to reschedule the school ball – Tom Jones and John Farnham have been booked for more than a year. And representatives from Christie’s and Sothebys, as well as the Saatchi brothers, are flying in from overseas for the charity art auction.

We’re taught to believe the best of people, Mr Latham, so I’ve enclosed an invitation from Headmaster to visit our school and see for yourself the damage Labor’s policy could do. There’s a map as well – if you park near tennis court 12, walk across the eight cricket fields and past the 10 rugby grounds, you’ll see a massive six-storey building. Don’t stop there, that’s the gymnasium.

Head for the boatshed, veer through the six soccer pitches and you’ll be at the rifle range. For you’re own safety, don’t linger long there, Mr Latham (that’s a joke!!), but head for the information desk on the fourth floor of the library/theatre/hospital complex. They’ll direct you to the school monorail, and it’s a 15-minute ride to the principal’s office.

Quaere Verum, Mr Latham,
    Yours not very respectfully,
    Name and address withheld.

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted

Very funny Kay ;-)

Whats is more funny is that the chardonnay drinking socialists on this forum probably think the letter is true..;-)

Participant
    @1winner

Kay, the e-mail you passed on is well thought and truly funny.

Yet it is more interesting to analyse why it is funny.

Imagine you change the situation and write a similar story but reverse the roles, it is about a poor school and poor kids who get the visit of Mr Howard, change the car story to a push bike and the horse riding to touch football.
    The fun is gone, no one would laugh, why?

Because we are trained to see the rich as ridiculous and faulty characters self centred and obscene, dishonest cheaters and tormentors of the rest of the virtuous inhabitants of the planet.

That is what makes the e-mail funny, that is what made Titanic a success, that is why most heroes in the stories are orphans, poor or unjustly persecuted.

Don’t get me wrong, I laugh too. I added the above just to point out at how deep seeded some antivalues are, and to make the reader think about our subconscious programming and how it may affect our decisions and plans.

Marc

@kay-henry

Marc, the rich are not only satirised- what about Cath and Kim? We can also have a giggle at the suburban aspirationals. Laughing at disadvantage though… well, I guess we could set up some comedy about the sudanese people dying… but it really isn’t funny.

I think most people- despite their situation- could have a laugh at that email- it isn’t particularly cruel. Laughing at someone’s poverty – well, that is cruel.

By the way, I haven’t seen the Titanic, Marc- is it good? Not my kind of movie, really.

kay henry

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.