All Topics / Opinionated! / who agrees’??

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 116 total)
  • Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Anubis,

I work in the public education sector, so we often discuss funding to education in general. To me, funding to schools, TAFE and Universities is all a part of the same pie. The analogy seemed an apt one to me- public education goes from schools to University.

Actually, Monopoly, John Howard attended Sydney University.

kay henry

Profile photo of trisha007trisha007
    @trisha007

Hi all,

I agree with Jo, children should choose where they go, and hopefully they get the education they deserve!

Also to get one thing straight, Im not against public schools at all, I just think the teachers are overworked therefore do not put the effort in (my sister being an overworked teacher herself, however tries to put effort in) and I also agree theres not enough funding,

but that doesnt mean private schools should be tarred and feathered because of this either – they are a valuable part of society also!

I did NOT grow up with the attitude “Im superior to you” like some private school people either I think this attitude between everyone sucks.

We are all valuable members of the community and children cannot help what educatin their parents have given them.

Ill get of my soapbox now…

Trisha[biggrin]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Trisha,

I don’t think anyone is tarring and feathering private schools. I think the discussion is about funding. Is teachers in public schools are overworked and there is a high staff:student ratio, then funding would make class sizes smaller, and allow more teachers.

There are people who attended private schools who support the public system. The author of the original speech at Scotch College is one of these. To be a product of a system doesn’t mean one has to defend that system.

kay henry

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Firstly Kay, unlike some who when corrected for their inaccurate statements, I am woman enough to admit my error!!!

And on this occasion, you are quite correct, John Howard did in fact attend Sydney University (it was the other PM whose surname also starts with a H (Hawke), that I later remembered going to Oxford).

Secondly, in light of your recognition that to be a product of a system doesn’t mean one has to defend it; am I correct in assuming this what you are inferring in your response post……???

Abolition? Yes, we are certainly a product of our environment and schooling :o)

It seemed strange to me, as my post clearly stated that I DID NOT support the abolition / redundancy of private schools; in fact, I do not favour one over the other; on the contrary, both IMO have merits!!!

Oh well, back to dessert….Humble pie anyone??? [blush2]

Jo

@kay-henry

Monopoly, you misunderstand. I was saying that because I, for example, went to private schools, doesn’t mean I support the private system- I support public health, transport, education- even public housing!

And I thought your use of the word abolishment was interesting, that’s all.

kay henry

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

No crossed wires, I just thought Kay’s quotes were hardly a fair comparison.

Quote “Did you know that 100% of state government funding for primary and secondary schools goes to the two thirds of government school students and 0% to the one third of non-government school students” – Anubis Sept 9, 2004 ;-)

@kay-henry

Anubis,

Yeah, I know we’re on the same page here :o) We just have different opinions on things- remember, I’ve always complimented you on your posts on property… it’s your posts on politics where we differ :)

kay henry

@monopoly

Fair enough Kay, but your comment (previous page) didn’t convey your message in this regard. In fact it came across as somewhat sarcastic, strange that???!!![blink]
    As for the use of the word abolition (actually I used the term “to abolish” but hey, now I’m splitting hairs)!!! Grammatically speaking, it’s no more interesting than Celivia’s use of “redundant” or the implication of “redundancy”!!! Allow me to demonstrate with a bit of semantics, if I may:

To make something redundant is to terminate it’s employment, hence the building cannot be made redundant, the staff can!!!

To abolish the school, is to close IT down, and thus make the staff redundant!!!

Hey if we’re going to discuss [grad] the education system, may as well make sure we demonstrate good grammar hey??!!! [grin]

Jo

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue
    @kay-henry

Well, just one more, rogue… Celivia’s use of the word “redundant” was correct. If only public schools were funded by the government, that would make private schools redundant (unnecessary) or superfluous.

kay henry

@monopoly

I never said it was incorrect, I said it shouldn’t have been any more “interesting” (surprising) than….

I was grammatically showing the difference due to your emphasis on my use of the word “abolish”; that’s all!!!

Cheers,

Jo

Participant
    @anubis
    Originally posted by kay henry:

Anubis,

Yeah, I know we’re on the same page here :o) We just have different opinions on things- remember, I’ve always complimented you on your posts on property… it’s your posts on politics where we differ :)

kay henry

And our views on Tasmanians

@kay-henry

Oops- what did I say about tasmanians? I think they’re cute- hehe :)

kay henry

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

i said something about tasmanians all looking alarmingly alike and you (kay) thought that was funny. i merely meant that there was not a huge multicultural mix whereas YOU took it to mean something about the gene pool – hehe….
    (i think i got out of that one)

@kay-henry

hehe, yes aussierogues, I remember that one… but i am thinking that surely my laughing at YOUR joke, can’t put me in trouble?

kay henry

Participant
    @anubis

It can put you in trouble when there are lurking Taswegians like me around ;-)

Could be worse I suppose – I could be a Kiwi ;-)))

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Interesting conversation since I last checked!
    I still have to make some replies to some of you:

Monopoly, you asked:

Define “different” [blink] ??? Smaller class sizes??? Teachers who were happy to settle for lower paid (public school) wages??? What??? This is a very blanket statement. As a parent, I want to know what “different choices” my kids have???

OK Monopoly, I’d better clarify what I mean by “different” :))
    By different types of schools I mean schools that differ from each other by their didactics or methodology. I’m just talking about primary schools here, and in some instances about High schools.

Montessori schools, to use an obvious comparison, are using different learning aides and materials and methods than say Steiner schools. ANd both differ from the standard education that most of us are familiar with. Or there can schools that suit different families’ religions. (Christian, Muslim, name it).

Anubis, it is true that there are catchment areas, but that doesn’t mean that this can’t be changed if necessary, and schools will have to become more flexible to fit in with demand.

For example, there is no reason that large existing schools can’t be divided into two or even three different sections. SO there can be a high demand for say, basic education, and less for Montessori schools, but if there’s enough demand in an area to form a Montessori class, that can then be arranged as required.
    If there’s not enough demand in an area, the kids of that area could be allowed to go to the nearest school that offers their preference.

All these different ways of educating children can be funded by the govt.

I realise that this may all seem very confusing [confused2].
    Australian systems were not set up like this from start, as were the systems in some European countries.
    It’s always hard to radically change a system when there is already an establishment. I just wanted to say that there ARE different ways that work in practice in other parts of the world, without stating that one way is better than the other.
    There are more ways than the one- it’s important to realise that.

Celivia

@kay-henry

Thanks Cel for providing that info :o)) I think sometimes we can be bound by what we experience ourselves- thank you for the euro perspective. I know for myself, I can be a bit insular, and it’s good to see models from other countries.

I also know that growing up in this culture, we’ve not often seen what other countries do, as particularly relevant. We have been happy to pick up on economic rationalist examples from Thatcher and Reagan, but not so happy to pick up best practice examples from progressive euro countries- it’s a real pity, I think.

As an aside, when I was doing my teaching degree, Montessori and Steiner methods were considered top notch. Unfortunately, we spent more time learning about classroom management, than we did on investigating alternatives to “vanilla” teaching.

kay henry

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

I send my 4 offsprings to Grammar School and proudly so. The choice for me was just not there, the public school alternative was a gigantic step backwards.

From many responses it seems that people think that the only difference between private schools and public schools is the amount of money available.

I disagree, more money to public schools will not make better schools, just fancier equipment and better paint and air conditioners.

The difference between private schools and public schools is the human factor, teachers and students.

If you want a decent public school in Sydney you must move to some of the Eastern Suburbs, and perhaps N. Sydney. Forget the rest.

In stead private schools, take away some well known bad exceptions, are in general safer, including the small under founded struggling, amateurishly managed C.C. Schools.

So the debate is not about public or private, but about who the parents and teachers are.

Some parents are interested in their children results and demand results from the teachers (who by the way are the only profession that has no mechanism to monitor performance, meaning RESULTS that is children that go to university) So the parents that are interested in results, will grill the teachers to do better, even in a public school.

Other parents are convinced that such is the responsibility of the government who should fund the schools better and take away funds from those repugnant evil people from Scott School and King School and the rest of those stinking people who oppress as and who keep us in poverty and …. Ok you get the picture…[biggrin]

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Marc, you said:
    The difference between private schools and public schools is the human factor, teachers and students.

Can you explain what you mean, Marc, by the human factor difference?

So the debate is not about public or private, but about who the parents and teachers are.

Who are the parents and teachers, Marc? Maybe I understand better if you are more explicit in your criticism.

Celivia

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.