All Topics / Opinionated! / Polished floor boards or carpet?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Probably going to do some renos in the next 12 months so just want to know which you prefer:

Polished floor boards or carpet? and
    Stainless steel or the usual white surface appliances?

Thanks, G7

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

We have boards upstairs and they look great but come Sunday morning sleep ins it sounds like a herd of elephants when the kids run around up there.

Stainless is the new white…or so i’ve heard

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I hear people are going back to white.

If it iscold then carpet in the bedrooms otherwise floorboards are fine.

Not a big deal either way so don’t lose too much sleep over it.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

NODOC Loan – 65% Loan – No questions asked!

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

We have polished floor boards throughout house, look great. However, I must admit I do miss the carpet.
    Stainless steel, heard it is a nightmare to maintain.

Profile photo of elika7264elika7264
    @elika7264

Hi,

at a recent seminar, the presenter (an experienced property manager) mentioned that her company had undertaken research to find out what tenants want. Their preference was for polished floor boards, not carpet.

Just one problem with floor boards — while they look great, they can be slippery (eg in socks) — so I would be somewhat concerned about my liability in terms of an accident.[blink]

Why not approach a few property managers in your area and ask their opinion.

Regards,
    Helen[biggrin]

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

ohhh… polished boards please…. We have just done ours by ourselves and they look fabulous! When we looked at it, we’ve really saved ourselves several thousands of dollars by not carpeting. We are going to buy some nice mats and go with that. You can’t beat floorboards…

Gorgeous…

Oh, um, stainless steel is lovely and I probably prefer it as white can stain and scratch easily and look yucky pretty quickly. Whereas stainless can just really scratch.

Cheers
    Steph.

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

Timber looks great but can be noisy and cold. Carpet is nice in bedrooms. It depends totally on the house and location but I always keep in mind that a lot of tenants don’t own a vacuum cleaner.

If I knew then what I know now……….you know how it goes

Profile photo of JustAllanJustAllan
    Participant
    @justallan

I hated the idea of floorboards – then we rented a house with carpet that was rancid from previous tenants having fluffy white dogs living inside the house with them. DIGUSTING. Landlord (NSW government) wouldn’t replace it, so we ripped it out and threw it away before their inspection took place – so that plus some staff changes, means they think it was floorboards all along. People get used to them too – and – they get to buy their own rugs/runners that THEY like.

I know a married couple – a doctor and nurse. Their landlord thought he was on a winner with these two. But they are two of the most unclean people I’ve known and very disrespectful of other people’s property – they’re not even aware of their low standards I don’t think. The NEW carpet was stained and stuck to your feet in two months.

Appliances – find out which shows damage more readily I guess. I’ve known landlords that thought they had great tenants – but while living in that same block I’ve seen the way they treat the place when the landlord’s not around. I’d install whatever’s the cheapest myself. It’s new and they’ll still appreciate it – but if/when it gets damaged – it’s not such a heartache to go out and buy another. Personally, I think white shows less scratches.

Allan.

Profile photo of wanting morewanting more
    @wanting-more

My opinion is that the white stains really badly over time, beetroot, bleach etc.They tend to end up yellowing! I personally don’t think you can beat a sink that has been polished with metho or windex just prior to an open inspection.

good luck
    Wanting More

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Wanting more,

I think he meant white appliances like ovens, dishwashers etc….

Like you I wouldn’t dream of using anything other than stainless steel for the sink!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Stainless steel/euro appliances were once fairly unique in architect-designed units- now they are all built that way. It’s one of the first things I check out when looking at a place- what are the kitchen appliances like? I think if you go to a kitchen place now, you’ll see they have taken over the white upright oven. epends upon afordability- overcapitalisation is always an issue, but if you can afford it, I’d go for the euro or euro-style appliances.

With floorboards, as others have mentioned, they can have hygience advantages. They are also very “euro”. One of hte advantages of older houses is they have floorboards- seems it would be a shame to waste them. New places also have floating floorboards- they too, look smashing.

An alternative is tiles- built in most new houses now instead of carpet. A really good alternative, if you can afford it, and it’s something new to Australia, is heated floors. Some new apartments in sydney now have heated floors and the rentability of these places can’t be underestimated. A colleague of mine was looking for a place to rent in sydney and would have paid anything for a place with heated floors. They got snapped up immediately.

kay henry

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

My favourite floor covering is floorboards or parquet.

We also have floorboards upstairs, Wallflower, and I know all about elephant herds hehe.[drummer]
    Luckily, when the kids turn into teenagers, it’s likely the elephants turn nocturnal and spend Sundays in bed most time of the day [sleepyanim] hehe.

A while ago, I was looking into Designcrete as a more affordable alternative to tiling: Go to
    http://www.designcrete.com.au if you wanna have a look.

But this is something new and therefore not so well-known in Australia yet. It’s also not widely available here.
    A similar stencilling technique is used as for the spray-on paving for outdoors.
    It’s a very classy and clean look and is durable, as they are using some form of liquid ceramic, I guess.
    Anyone else heard of this?

Celivia

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

That looks really good Celivia! I was interested in polished concrete floors with heating installed for when we build our dream home!

Will explore this stuff a bit more.

Thanks for the link mate.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Simon,

Just a word of warning, I have seen it in a “display home” and although it looks fantastic, it shows up EVERY FOOTPRINT and hence keeping it looking flawlessly clean (I would imagine) must be a nightmare!!! It is like walking on high gloss ceramic tiles, and although it can be very cool under foot, you cannot miss the “WOW” factor when you see it!!!
    http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/yourhome/technical/fs34f_4.htm

If you don’t mind the constant “polishing” of it then it is certainly worth putting in, and for extra warmth, I’d recommend the hyroponic in-floor heating Kay mentioned, which has been around for a while here in Vic, but can be very costly I believe!!! http://www.radiantfloorheating.com.au/

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Eeew, footprints everywhere? Catpaw prints (even elephant footprints?) awwww, cute, but no thanks!

I think I lost interest in that designcrete already!

Celivia

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

True Celivia, but I believe it is very durable, and as long as you don’t walk on it; there’ll be no footprints, hence no problem!!!! [upsidedown]

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

What a brilliant new innovation Monopoly – a floor you can’t walk on! Why didn’t I think of that!!!!
    hehehehehehe

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

A ‘herd of elephants?’ Try the ‘wilderbeast migration!. However, my first IP had a cacky ‘shag pile’ look (personally the word ‘shag’ had no place for this carpet!). After I lifted up the carpet I discovered that the floor boards were 30 years old and the real M’coy. for $400 I had the entire living room polished and it looked a treat. I was going to do the other rooms however in winter I would imagine it would be freezing. The kitchen is stainless. I’ve been told though that there are more germs in a kitchen sink than there are in a toilet bowl. However the stainless look is a much sharper look.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.