All Topics / Opinionated! / What age to retire?

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Does a mother/housewife who goes back to the workforce “retire” from home duties? Or when she does “retire” from the workforce again is she then considered retired when she resumes (probably never stopped) her household duties?

Hmmmm….good point Matt!!!

I guess it could be that he/she (ditto on not discriminating against any possible house-husbands out there) resumes those duties at the end of their (paid) working day, hence they are presumably never fully retired??? [blink]

I think in today’s society, mainly because of the shift in work ethics and economic climate in which we live, definitions are much more malleable as these two environments slowly amalgamate, thus (IMO) providing us with a healthier, happier and more productive way of living. I don’t believe (and never have) that one lifestyle ends and another begins, why not enjoy both???

I see “retirement” as a CHOICE; the emphasis being on whether an individual chooses to work as much or as little as they want. But that is my definition; each person will interpret “retirement” as they see it applies to them (either now, or in the future).

Once upon a time, a family unit was defined as a man, a woman and 2.2 kids, but in society has changed and there is vast diversity in what constitutes a family today. To fully comprehend what is happening around us, we need to adapt our thinking accordingly in order to evolve/move with the changing times!!!

Jo

Profile photo of trisha007trisha007
    @trisha007

Hi everyone,

In that case I will never retire!

Looking after a house IS a full time job albeit a very rewarding one (especially if the people/creatures living in it also appreciate you efforts!)

It is very interesting to note how the family structure has changed, and whom has accepted this change and who has not.

How about a new discussion on this topic?!

Ill start off by saying how I have noticed z few older generation STILL expect a woman who is nearing her 30s (or in her 30s) to be happily married with some littles running around or on the way(that’s little humans not mice)

What you all say?

Trisha [:D] (New-era female)

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hey Trish,

I say, times are a changin’ [blush2] errr….hang on; that’s already been said, oops….they’ve changed!!!

Whether we like it or not, in order to lead a more fulfilling life, I believe we need to move with progress and try to eliminate narrow-minded ad antiquated (mis)conceptions thereby defining our world as it was 10, 20, 30, 100 years ago!!!

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of alwayscuriousalwayscurious
    Participant
    @alwayscurious

Right – here goes with MY dream – no one knock it please! Not that I’m sensitive about it – I am jolly determined actually.

I have roughly 6 years. From now.

Plan is – one more child, then in 6 years, a third. the third will be looked after by me at age of 6 – 8 months (after weaned)

This will give my wife the option to study again and perhaps do some of the things she has wanted to a long time.

I want three children though – so that’s how we can both reach our dreams!

We may work out some part time arrangement – but I have 6 years.
    EEEK. Thus, my financial education is ramping up steeply right now! :)

I will be 34.

watch this space I reckon – some good dreams here
    Go people.

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.