All Topics / Legal & Accounting / NZ Income …

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido

If I earn income a +ve IP in NZ but I keep all profits in a bank account in NZ and NOT transfer the funds over to my Australia account, would I need to declare the NZ income in my Australia tax return ?

All I need to do is to lodge a NZ tax return, right ?

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

Talk to your accountant.

However if the NZ IP is in your name (not a NZ trust or company) then I would think you should declare the earnings in OZ as well irrespective of whether you physically transfer the funds.
    You should get a credit in Oz for the tax paid in NZ though.

regards,

Rod. (I am not an accountant, talk to a real one).

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The ATO wants to know about your worldwide income, so you will be requried to declare your NZ income.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

That’s what I was trying to say. If you’re an Aussie resident you must declare all worldwide income, irrespective of whether you physically bring it back or not.

Rod.

Profile photo of nugennugen
    @nugen

I spoke to an accountant.OZ and NZ have a single tax rule where you only pay tax in one country. Doesn’t matter which country.

Iv’e got a slightly different question. If I make $5k profit on my properties over in NZ this year, is that $5k on top of my taxable income? If so if I spend $5k on renos on those properties my taxable income doesn’t get affected.

Thanks

Nugen

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

As I understand it, taxable income is not necessarily ‘profit’ – because it’s profit minus what you can claim as a tax deduction. But what you can and can’t claim – like for example the difference between maintenance (you can claim) and renovation (you can’t) could be quite subtle which is why you need to talk to a professional – at least once! But no you don’t pay tax twice.
    You bring your NZ tax return in on your Aus. one.

cheers-
    Mini

joy to the world

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.