All Topics / Forum Frolic / Medal Count Down!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

Hey calling youse good Australian citizens, I have a qustion I want answered please?

Why, now why is the total medal count for that very large Australian Olympic team DOWN, when compared to your total medal count after the 2000 Sydney Games.

Total for 2004 is 49 and the total for 2000 was 58.

Now, how come after all the money that is spent on the Australian Institute of Sport making youse good Australian citizens into supposed Olympic champions.

I know your gold medal count was up by 6.25%, but what about the rest.

I also know that Norway had the best gold medal to population ratio of about 1.1.
    Next was Australia with 0.85, Cuba with 0.75 and NZ also with 0.75.

Anyways we all have to wait until 2008 now and I think that China may eclipse even the USA with the number of gold medals to be won.

Regards

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo
    Originally posted by muppet:

Total for 2004 is 49 and the total for 2000 was 58.

Countries or teams are always known to play alot better when on home soil. That’s why they were better in Sydney – they were use to the grounds but more so, the climate and they had basically the whole of Australia cheering them on along all the walks, marathons, sprints, swimming – pretty much every event – well, theres your answer.

Kind Regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Muppett

interesting comments

i think you will find that australia sent a far smaller team to the Olympics this year than in Sydney, and as far as the Institute of sport goes, the funding was less than for the last Olympics. Interesting some of the media in NZ is calling for NZ to follow australia’s lead and put more money into sport- Yes again thay want to copy australia, come on guys do something original for a change.

Saddly i have to agree with you[angry2] those Chinese are going to take all the medals in 2008. The scarey thing, unless you want the chinese to be the best, is the way they are improving at the track. That hurdler was so fast he looked awesome. But that chinese runner i think she might be a robot ?? it reminded me of how the robot on Get Smart “hyme” used to run. Could i be on to something ?

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hey Westan,
    I thought the same thing when I saw her run!
    Awful but true [biggrin]
    And Muppet, you really like the kiwi versus aussie thing, don’t you?[wink2]
    What I’d like to know is the male/female count for the aussie medals….the women seemed to do really well this time, anyone know it?

Sue

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi diclem

You said:

And Muppet, you really like the kiwi versus aussie thing, don’t you?

I wasn’t basically having an Aussie versus NZ thing in my post, but seeing as how it has come up
    then what was the % increase in gold medals for Australia – 6.25%[blush2]
    For NZ – 200% increase.[biggrin]

I also noted in another thread that NZ would win its medals sitting down and that is exactly what happened.
    Gold in the rowing, cycling, and the triathlon where most of the time is spent sitting down.

Oh well, bring on Beijing. We might win some more medals.

Regards

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru
    Originally posted by muppet:

Hi diclem

You said:

And Muppet, you really like the kiwi versus aussie thing, don’t you?

I wasn’t basically having an Aussie versus NZ thing in my post, but seeing as how it has come up
    then what was the % increase in gold medals for Australia – 6.25%[blush2]
    For NZ – 200% increase.[biggrin]

I also noted in another thread that NZ would win its medals sitting down and that is exactly what happened.
    Gold in the rowing, cycling, and the triathlon where most of the time is spent sitting down.

Oh well, bring on Beijing. We might win some more medals.

Regards

Well said muppet[suave][suave]

Cheers
    PropertyGuRu
    [sultan]

Mortgage Consultant

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

hi Muppet and PGuru,
    My comments were of course tongue-in-cheek, not mean’t to cause any offence.
    It’s great that they have sports at the olympics where kiwis can remain seated and still win medals.
    Equal opportunity for all, I say!
    Too bad they’re not allowed to bring home their lovely headpieces…a real shame.
    Cheers,
    Sue

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

@muppet

Hi diclem

The Min of Agriculture changed their minds and our 3 medal winners were allowed to bring their headgear home.[biggrin]

Regards

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

Ahh just a question about “triathlon” comment, how is it that they are sitting down? They spend more time running and swimming than cycling?

Like all sports a little fun rivalry never hurt anybody, i certainly don’t mind it.

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

@muppet

Hi

Triathlon = about 35 mins swimming + 25 mins running but about 1hr sitting on your backside riding a bike.

Regards

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi to all Melburnians,

for all those interested in seeing our Olympians in real, for those that haven’t read it in the paper or heard it on the radio, they will be at Federation Sq. next Wednesday.

Cheers,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of alisonralisonr
    Participant
    @alisonr

Hi Weston

Interesting some of the media in NZ is calling for NZ to follow australia’s lead and put more money into sport- Yes again thay want to copy australia, come on guys do something original for a change

If I remember correctly, Laurie Laurence returned from CANADA with the idea of setting up an Institute of Sport. The rest is history is course. I for one, would love to see an Institute of Sport in New Zealand. I believe we are much more varied in our sports than just rugby, netball and cricket. Remember the glory days of squash, and Mark Richards in the equestrian events etc etc?

Alison Richards

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi alison and all

i’m old enough to remember New Zealand having good runners , for instance Walker (yes he was called walker but he was a runner, these NZers do some strange things), and it wasn’t that long ago NZ had a swimmer Daniel Louder (something like that) who used to beat us aussies.

Lots of people i meet in NZ think that they have lost the drive to Win, schools only teach them participation not winning they say. Often they say “look at Steve Waugh” for instance “he was never happy with competing he loved to win”. “We just don’t have that in NZ anymore.”

Interesting what do you NZers think ?

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

@muppet

Hi Guys

Well now, NZ hasn’t won a running medal since John Walker did in 1976.

Also from about that time the Kenyans and other Africans started coming to the fore and now very few white skinned people win any sort of running race.

I wonder why? Probably too much McDonald’s and KFC and Burgerking eaten while still children tending to make the fair skinned races too big and slow.

Also many other competitors have more incentive to win with big money being paid to them by their governments when they are successful.

Regards

Profile photo of alisonralisonr
    Participant
    @alisonr

Hi Westan

I moved to Western Australia in 1987, and only go home every 2-3 years to see the family, so I cant really comment on how New Zealanders see themselves these days. However I do hear comments about the lack of strong headmasters and leaders in the New Zealand community, and the detrimental effect of having school based assessments rather than the traditional exam we were brought up with. But perhaps thats all just right wing crap. What does everybody else think?

Alison Richards

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.