All Topics / Opinionated! / Damned if I do Damned if I don’t emotions!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

My wife and I have gone thru the rollercoaster ride of find THAT HOUSE, putting in an offer, negotiating, loosing and then realy wanting that house! Sometimes we are successful and then I don’t know if I still want the flamin thing.[cigar]

Is this a new-by knind-of emotions or what?[cap]

It confuses the ‘whoop’ out of me why I feel this way. First I want it – fight with tooths and nails to get it the way I want it, then when I get it – I don’t want it any more[puke]. Please some-one tell me that its normal and it goes away after one or two houses……….[blush2]

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Calvin,

Sounds like a “when you got what you want, you don’t want it anymore” and maybe it’s because you never REALLY wanted it in the first place!!!

Maybe it is the “thrill” of the chase; the “I got to make it mine”, that once it is, there is no challenge left!!!

Or maybe it’s just spring…..and your thoughts are slightly clouded. Why not take a break, smell a few flowers, [sunny] enjoy the day out, and worry about it tomorrow; after all, tomorrow is another day Scarlett!!!! [lmao]

Cheers,

Jo

P.S. My bill is in the mail !!! [laugh4][laugh4]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

calvin,

I find that hte more I know about RE, the more I feel comfortable with my purchases- because, generally, I’ve checked out about 100 places before I am ready to know that THIS one is exactly thre one I want. I find RE to be such a comparative thing, that if you know specific markets really well, you’ll know that your beats the others- in whatever measurement you use.

Nerves are normal with RE- it’s a huge purchase, and ambivalence is a part of it all, I reckon. I know for myself, that if I have missed out on a place, I have then justified it to myself as not in my best interests to have had it anyway :o) I think our mind lets us think it’s for the best so we don’t get too disappointed.

kay henry

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the 5c pieces sent via your PM!!! [laugh4][laugh4]

As I said, don’t worry too much, what you are experiencing is normal anxiety and is often associated with most things in life, especially major issues, ie. marriage, divorce, new job (not necessarily in that order)!!!

Most investors experience a level of it at some point or other; some handle it better than others, some just block it out. Me personally, the “thrill” of making a property mine is a real adrenlin rush, and any anxiety or as I call it ‘OH MY GOD I HAVE JUST SPENT X DOLLARS” slowly diminishes as the settlement date nears.

You will be fine; and I promise, you’re not “loopy”!!! [wacko][wacko] You should have seen me when I invested in the sharemarket, watching my $$$ on that roller coaster ride ever day!!! Now that was….[rolleyes4][rolleyes5]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Isn’t this what is refered to as “buyers remorse”? I have heard of such a thing somewhere.

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi Calvin,

it could also occur from:

you want something so badly, that you put so much effort into it that you finally have no energy left and juat want to give up – never overburden yourself. You’ll be right mate!

Cheers,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Calvin
    Thank goodness for biodiversity.
    For some people, the thrill is the journey, for others – the destination, and for the most fortunate ones who enjoy either and both, good luck to you. For some, the journey and the challenge are just hard work and slog with a degree of difficulty and all unfortunately necessary to achieve their goal or reach their destination. However for you Calvin, it sounds like the journey and the challenge are the main enjoyment, so perhaps you need to keep feeding yourself with journeys and challenges. That is all the runes show today grasshopper. [karate][buz2]
    My bill will be in the same mail as Jo’s, but pay me first will you ?
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious

My question is why do you want that property so much?
    I dont want any of my properties they are to much trouble i just want the Financial Freedom that most peoplle want.
    I dont use my emotions i use my goal to get me where i need to be.(Discreetly of course)
    Dom

[biggrin]

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

It gets easier Calvin..[biggrin][biggrin]but not ‘easy’..every investment decision carries risk..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi all,
    Firstly, to all those lovely people that have counceled me and have asked for payment, I pay in 5c pieces (refer to Jo’s comment). That’s all I can get out of my 3yr old son (Child labour payments are still what they have always been!)

Secondly, I must clarify, the emotion comes from the, as thecrest correctly identified, the thrill of the purchase. It also relates to the fact that this is our first house and it is our PPOR. All inspections are very positive (for the first time) and it is good value for money! Other projects that I have investigated (old argument IP before PPOR or not) have had virtually no emotions attached. I had to get to a place where my wife was/is comfortable with the level of debt (much as I have tried to get her reading the/ or just one of the books to change her mind set – I have not been successful). I love my wife very much and must honour her for our partnership to remain strong, then we will concer the world together! All will come to those who wait! Not too long though…….[wink]

My original goal of owning 5 houses 10 yrs from the date of purchase of the first, HAS OFFICIALLY STARTED!
    I may have to modify the target number (increase it a little), but it has begun. Lets see if the caterpillar is indeed a butterfly or just a moth![buz2]

Thank you all for your support and teachings to this point! I look forward to joining in starting with the phrase:”… my IP’s ….”[suave2]

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of alwayscuriousalwayscurious
    Participant
    @alwayscurious

Go Hard! That’s a good goal.

Well done for first home too – it gives you a VERY stable base to work from. Not for everyone but it solved some instability probs with my wife and me – sorted the itchy travel feet out for a while! :)

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Hi Calvin,

I reckon what you are feeling is typical of first home buyers. And so be it.

but like what you recognised, you don’t get that feeling about investments – they should be on the numbers. like choosing any investment, you weigh up chances of growth, risk yield, security, losing the lot etc etc.

For me, I bought three investment properties i don’t live in and still haven’t bought a PPOR – I rent it. this is for several reasons, one, I don’t have a wife. hehe. Two, financially I am tens of thousands of dollars a year better off by doing it this way, believe it or not.

cheers-
    Mini

joy to the world

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Heya calvin :)

I just wanted to ask about your plan of 5 IP’s in 10 years. How are you doing that? Do you have a $$ limit on the amount you pay for each IP? Do you make sure they are CF+ places? Are you paying off extra on them per week to build up equity? Are you buying and holding or using some other strategy? When did you start?

I ask these things because your goal is probably similar to the way I am thinking about property- except no PPOR for me at this stage.

I had an idea in the past about buying properties every 3 years and having them paid off- we were on our way to that too, but then came the divorce- hehe. Oh well. It was before the boom too- and prices were flat as a tack, so we could just pick and choose cheap properties on the coast.

With changed times, and a new RE market, I’m doing things differently now… but I’m wondering, calvin- how are you doing it (only if you want to tell) :o)

kay henry

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi all,

let me start off by informing you all, that I officially HATE moving! We worked out that, since being in Hedland, we have moved 1.5 times p.a.![grrr] [grad] – gotta learn sometime!

That is the only emotion I am currently experiencing (too weak for anything else).

Kay, my master plan is (at this stage) Buy and Hold! I know that there are more aggressive ways out there, but I’m a gentle giant and haven’t felt a need for the $1 million in 1 year thing. It’s just not me, thought I have tried (first property investment project was to buy two IPs and our PPOR in one hit – would have worked out cheaper that way than just the PPOR).
    As for +CF, yes my that would be my preffrence. I would love it if my wife could stop having to work, but could choose to or not to; then, off corse, it would be my time to be able to choose!
    If it doesn’t work out that way (all +CF) then there’ll have to be some -CFs in there – this could balance out the tax that we would have to pay. Kinda a mix’n’ match thing.

Initially, there will be the PPOR and one other (IP) in Hedland, soon, say within 12 months. Then the next would be in Perth, maybe two or three. I would like to continue, thought, untill I get to a point where I am satisfied with where I’m at.
    On the way I would like to teach my children early what it is that I have only learned now and may be give them a leg up and whatch them grow!

I want to be free to be with my family! They are my top priority (and very -CF).[exhappy][inlove]

Wot can I say…..

does that answer your Q, Kay?

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of alwayscuriousalwayscurious
    Participant
    @alwayscurious

Go Calvin.. Remember – Family is what makes it all worthwhile! It’s no point earning much $ only to have no one to share it with…

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4
    alwayscurious Posted – 15/09/2004 : 16:29:15

Go Calvin.. Remember – Family is what makes it all worthwhile! It’s no point earning much $ only to have no one to share it with…

Go it in one! I have had to re-adjust my goals – that is change the priority. It used to be get the first house, then the next, then the next, etc, so that I can spend more time with my family!

WRONG!

Now it is more like this: First my wife, then my children, then come the investments and friends. I get confused with those two, I’d like to put my friends first (as you should) but a lot of them are anti-investment and that creates a problem, so I guess I have to keep juggling those two depending on the day.

Cheers

C@34

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.