All Topics / Help Needed! / Choosing the right structure to invest

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of ArthurKArthurK
    Participant
    @arthurk

Hi everyone,

I’m at the stage of having to set-up my structure for investing. I have been doing some reading and plan to visit an accountant very soon. Before I do I would love to know the answers to some questions regarding trusts and companies. There are quite a few so I don’t expect any one person to answer all of them. Looking forward to your replies, Cheers:

1) Is is difficult to change a trustee/director?

2) How exactly does the trust/ and or company structure protect the trustee’s/ director’s/ beneficiary’s/ shareholders assets (i.e. property and the like)?

3) What are the trustee’s/ directors/ beneficiary’s/ shareholders tax obligations if their only income recieved is through a trust/ or company ?

4) Which structure is more effective in terms of allowable tax deductions-trust or company? And why?

5) Borrowing money through a trust/ or company structure to purchase investments (property)-how? And what are the difficulties/ and or implications?

6) Which is more complex to operate with-trust or company?

7)From asset protection, tax minimisation and complexity perspectives, what are the implications of investing overseas through:

a) A trust structure?

b) A company structure?

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Most Credit providers these days don’t have a problem with Trusts,
    Companies can be tricky, In a lot cases director’s guarantees will be required,

When choosing an accountant, make sure he/she is Trust Savvy.
    Talk to Dale G at Gatherum-Goss & Assoc,
    http://www.gatherumgoss.com/

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:1800 820 500
    VICTORIA

PLEASE note comments made should NOT be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice. Please seek professional, specific advice.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Some tough questions there!

1) It is very easy to change trustee’s if your trust deed allows it. but this could have major implications such as
    a) changes to the loans (loans are in trustee’s name)
    b) could result in stamp duty payable again in certain circumstances (see http://www.cleardocs.com and your state revence office website)
    c) if the ATO considers it changes the beneficiares then they may class it as a resettlement of the trust and hence CGT and stamp duty may be payable on assets.

2) property owned by a trust is not your asset, so if you are sued personally it MAY be safe. If a company is sued, the liabitity is often restricted to the company and not the directors/shareholders unless they have done something wrong.

3) Anyone receiving a distribution froma trust must pay tax on that money at their relevent tax rate. ie it is added to their other income. if they do not have other income, then the first $6000 is tax free.

Distributions from a company are a bit different. usually the company has paid tax on its profit, so you are not charged tax again on this income, unless you have a tax rate more than the company rate of 30%, when you would pay the difference as extra tax. If your inocme in lower, then you may actually get some tax back.

4) I think a trust is way more flexible as it allows the income to be distributed to the lowest tax payers first (amoung a large range of beneficiaries). Company profit must be distributed to the shareholders in accordance with the shareholding percentages. Athough you could just pay money to basically anyone as some sort of fee as well.

5) It is very easy to borrow using a trust. the trustee must guarrantee the loan, and the loan is assessed on the trust income and/or the trustees income. The trust deed must be supplied to the lender who will have their ‘legal’ people review it (and may charge a extra fee of $100 or so). If a company is trustee or if just borrowing in a company name, then the directors must give personal guarrantees and loans will be assess on their own personal income etc.

Some lenders are no insisting on taking a fixed and floating charge over companies as well. This is like a mortgage over teh company assets. This is a pain in the arse as it causes problems when going to different lenders for subsequent loans.

Lenders may also insist on the trustees/directors in getting independent legal advice so they fully understand what they are getting themselves into. So extra legal fees may be charged by your solicitor for the explaination of this – $100 approx.

If you are planning on buying many properties, it is wise to consider having just one trustee/director. Many banks have maximum exposure levels per client (especially for low docs) and if a husband/wife go in as joint trustees, the limit is half of what it would be if they went in with one trust each.

6) Companies are more comlpex to operate. There are many rules relating to companies with extra reporting requirements (and costs) related to ASIC.

7) I don’t know about investing overseas, but would imagine you would need a company or trust registered in the country you are investing in.

The ATO will also want to tax you on your world wide income.

ps. I am not an accountant, so don’t rely on anything i have written.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of elika7264elika7264
    @elika7264

Thanks Terry,
    your reply was really comprehensive. I am sure a number of people on the forum have benefitted from your expertise.

Regards,
    Helen[biggrin][biggrin]

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

One important point that Terry didn’t mention is that with a company you lose the 50% CGT discount for assets held longer than 12 months.

If you’re investing for capital gain rather than just income, then that can make a big difference.

GP

Profile photo of JuliaJulia
    @julia

Excellent answers Terry & Great Pig

Im not buying into the overseas trust or co issues as it is a mine field of double tax treaties and each country’s restriction on foriegn ownership, not to mention our controlled foreign entity rules.
    But I would like to point out that minors do not qualify for the $6,000 tax free on passive income. The best they can hope for is the first $772 tax free but over that they are taxed at 66% until they get to $1,446 when the rate is dropped to 47%. Though there are concessions for orphans, compensation etc.

Keep it up guys and you will put us accountants out of work.

[email protected]

http://www.bantacs.com.au

If you can’t BAN TACS at least minimise it legally.

Profile photo of ArthurKArthurK
    Participant
    @arthurk

Thanks for your replies and advice guys, I really appreciate it.

I think I might start purchasing in my own name and rely soley on insurance for protection for now. I don’t want to make it too complicated just yet (not necessary). Once the income from my investments rises I will change my ownership structure for purchasing investments. That way I will have ownership diversity (added protection) and save on tax when it becomes an issue. Mind you, I will always be cheking with professional adviser(s) before making any decisions.

Feel free to comment on my plans..I really appreciate it! :)

And thanks again.

Arthur. K

Participant
    @terryw

Arthur, it costs as little as $135 to establish a trust (and maybe stamp duty depending on your state). see http://www.cleardocs.com.au

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Broome HendersonBroome Henderson
    Participant
    @broome-henderson

Arthurk,

I have just set up a company today with our accountant. We firstly needed it for our acn business, but our main use will be to purchase property with it down the track. I cant really help you on most of those questions but if you have a friend of a friend or someone you know of that knows an accountant, then hit them up for lunch and have a chat about where you should go from there. The accountant we used was my business studies course teacher at tafe from three years ago. I just rang him up and had a talk, and things went on from there. Talking with these sorts of people is awesome education. Just make sure you let them know where you want to go with your situation and they will tell you what you need to know. Goodluck with it, its a long road, education wise but once you learn it, it will stay with you forever, so they say.

Regards,
    Chriso

Do you want cheaper call costs, fixed-line, mobile and internet. Email me at [email protected], and you’ll be up and running in no time. Free to sign up and free to leave, No contracts.

Participant
    @terryw

Chris

You probably shouldn’t be using a company that is trading to hold assets. What is your ACN (is that accounting?) business has trouble witha client and is sued? You could lose all properties. And I hope you are using a trust as well.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

ACN is a MLM phone company entering the Australian marketplace..

There was a post TELSTRA Vs ACN on this forum a couple of days ago..

I’d contact Geo from this forum if you were interested in finding out more, he’s very helpfull.

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Options to invest-

Lowest income earner
    Advantage-
    Income taxed at lowest rate, minimising tax bill
    Disadvantage-
    This partner has total control over the couples investments.

Highest Income earner
    Advantages-
    Borrowing costs are tax deductible for investments, highest tax rate=highest deduction.
    Disadvantages-
    Income an CG taxed at Highest rate.
    Total responsibility is with this spouse.

Purchasing in Trust
    Advantages-
    Protect assets from creditors in case of bankruptcy. Income can be distributed to beneficeries of trust at lowest rate-significent tax breaks.
    Disadvantages-
    Cannot distribute losses to beneficeries.
    Any income not distributed is taxed at 47%

SMSF
    Advantage-
    Income and CG are taxed at max of 15%, if held for more than year, taxed at 10%.
    If drawing pension, Income and CG are tax free within Fund.
    Disadvantages-
    SMSF not permitted to borrow for investment purposes. (restrictive. Access of investments is conditional.

Company Purchasing
    Advantages-
    Income taxed at 30%
    Disadvantages-
    Profits cannot be distributed o specific shareholders.
    Losses cannot be distributed to shareholders, can only be offset against income of company.
    Companies not eligible for 50% CGT discount after 12 months.

How did i go Julie?

Note- this is only my understanding, not an accountant.

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

hybrid discretionary trust can distribute losses… there’s plenty of posts at the somersoft forums about them.

Cheers
    r

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Richmond,
    Actually Hybrid trusts can’t really distribute losses, they work by the trustee borrowing to borrow units in the trust. This borrowing is in their personal name and so they can claim the interest against personal income. But it does work out like the trust is distributing the loss.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Profile photo of TwilightTwilight
    @twilight

Hi All,
    For information on trusts there is an article in API Magazine – October 2004 issue.

DC

Profile photo of ajgebhardajgebhard
    Participant
    @ajgebhard

So what exactly, appart from asset protection which is only relevant for business owners, is the advantage of investing via a trust instead of investing personally???

Originally posted by Terryw:

1) It is very easy to change trustee’s if your trust deed allows it. but this could have major implications such as
    b) could result in stamp duty payable again in certain circumstances (see http://www.cleardocs.com and your state revence office website)
    c) if the ATO considers it changes the beneficiares then they may class it as a resettlement of the trust and hence CGT and stamp duty may be payable on assets.

2) property owned by a trust is not your asset, so if you are sued personally it MAY be safe. If a company is sued, the liabitity is often restricted to the company and not the directors/shareholders unless they have done something wrong.

3) Anyone receiving a distribution froma trust must pay tax on that money at their relevent tax rate. ie it is added to their other income. if they do not have other income, then the first $6000 is tax free.

Distributions from a company are a bit different. usually the company has paid tax on its profit, so you are not charged tax again on this income, unless you have a tax rate more than the company rate of 30%, when you would pay the difference as extra tax. If your inocme in lower, then you may actually get some tax back.

4) I think a trust is way more flexible as it allows the income to be distributed to the lowest tax payers first (amoung a large range of beneficiaries). Company profit must be distributed to the shareholders in accordance with the shareholding percentages. Athough you could just pay money to basically anyone as some sort of fee as well.

5) It is very easy to borrow using a trust. the trustee must guarrantee the loan, and the loan is assessed on the trust income and/or the trustees income. The trust deed must be supplied to the lender who will have their ‘legal’ people review it (and may charge a extra fee of $100 or so). If a company is trustee or if just borrowing in a company name, then the directors must give personal guarrantees and loans will be assess on their own personal income etc.

Some lenders are no insisting on taking a fixed and floating charge over companies as well. This is like a mortgage over teh company assets. This is a pain in the arse as it causes problems when going to different lenders for subsequent loans.

Lenders may also insist on the trustees/directors in getting independent legal advice so they fully understand what they are getting themselves into. So extra legal fees may be charged by your solicitor for the explaination of this – $100 approx.

If you are planning on buying many properties, it is wise to consider having just one trustee/director. Many banks have maximum exposure levels per client (especially for low docs) and if a husband/wife go in as joint trustees, the limit is half of what it would be if they went in with one trust each.

6) Companies are more comlpex to operate. There are many rules relating to companies with extra reporting requirements (and costs) related to ASIC.

7) I don’t know about investing overseas, but would imagine you would need a company or trust registered in the country you are investing in.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Profile photo of ajgebhardajgebhard
    Participant
    @ajgebhard
    Originally posted by Terryw:

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Participant
    @terryw

ajgebhard

I wouldn’t say asset protection is only of concern to business owners.

Other advantages of trusts include:
    – taxation, trusts can save tax and claim things that an individual can’t
    – Estate Planning. Passing assets on via a trust can be easier and cheaper with possible CGT and stamp duty savings.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]

Email Me

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

Terry,

Just noticed in your earlier post you said:

Hybrid trusts can’t really distribute losses, they work by the trustee borrowing to borrow units in the trust.

From my understanding, it doesn’t have to be the trustee borrowing the money. I believe anyone can borrow money and then buy units in the trust, although I don’t know how closely related that person would have to be for it to still be considered a family trust.

In my own case, I’m intending to have a company buy units in the trust, and possibly myself as well. Neither are the trustee.

GP

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.