All Topics / Heads Up! / NZ Apartments

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of elika7264elika7264
    @elika7264

Hi All,
    just wanted to let you know — in the August edition of Personal Investor — an article on Auckland apartments. Valuable reading if this is the direction you are going in.

Regards,
    Helen[cap]

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

I got an email in regards to NZ apartments – never read it in a magazine. I think I deleted it cause it looked dodgy to me – the way they were selling the apartments. I don’t know if we’re talkin of the same one but I remember it was definetely in the North Island.

Regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of Hux001Hux001
    @hux001

George it’s too much like inner city Melbourne apartments, my money’s going elsewhere.

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hey Hux,

Its been a while – where u been? How’s business and the NZ holidays? Still enjoying the snowy mountains?[strum]

Hey I totally agree with you on those apartments. I reckon a big recession soon is going to slump the inner city Melb apartments to rock bottom.

I don’t think I’ll ever go for apartments – same as you – my money’s going elsewhere[grad]

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I totally agree! Apartments….*holds up cross and gets wooden stake ready*

I too have read the sad statistics of Melbourne apartments and i wouldn’t imagine Auckland apartments to be much different.

Read this:
    http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulletin/EdDesk.nsf/All/716CA9A406A48FDACA256C170010BF31

“Investors have rushed into new inner-city apartments in Melbourne and Sydney over the past few years, often in the mistaken belief they could make a killing by way of quick capital gains. A comprehensive study of resales of new apartments in Melbourne over the past 10 years provides the most damning hard evidence of the capital growth myth. The new study by property analyst Charter Keck Cramer of the 3000-plus new central Melbourne apartments sold since 1992 shows the average price gain was 1.3% a year after inflation. “

etc etc

And so now you get my armchair reasoning as to why that is. 1) too many built 2) they date quickly and so the resale value doesn’t hold, because people can buy the new ones rather than the two years ago ones….3) they are negatively geared and people realise that doesn’t work, especially when they’re not going up in value because of 4) Basically the more land you get the better the chances of capital growth. Land appreciates, buildings depreciate. So apartments have a small land component in the value and a whole lot of ‘building in today’s dollars’ costs, the highest priced building you will ever get… 5) Strata fees are out of the investor’s control, really 6) depreciation made it seem like a tax break, but in the end a loss is a loss

etc etc etc
    joy to the world and my semi-photographic memory which meant I could find that article again…

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Well there u have it

thanks Mini – advice from an expert of the NZ market

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

There are reasons to buy apartments. One is that they’re usually cheaper than houses, so they provide an entry to the market- it depends on where they are located, of course- a sydney apartment will cost maybe 10 times more than a rural house. Another is that some people choose apartment living over house living. There is an article in a recent issue of API which discusses the demographics of apartment dwellers- they wish to live close to cities, and have different lifestyles- with no need for a yard etc. Many young people and families are now living in apartments in cities. The article referred to family types, and as we know, households are getting smaller. In sydney, where you have 1 or 2 persons living in a dwelling, apartments can become the choice for them.

I think the oversupplied areas can become ghettoes. I can’t help but look at some large apartment blocks and see them as looking like the old dept of housing towers- not pretty.

Mini, I don’t think *all* land appreciates in all locations. Some rural land in NSW used to cost a couple of thousand per block before the boom, and still does.

Apartment living in sydney will only increase. There’s about a million rules about which kind of places to buy, and there’s a heap of articles on the net people can check out. Certainly, some apartments have not achieved great CG- no disputing that. But I guess sometimes we buy what we’re used to- I live in an apartment myself- as do most of my friends and colleagues- and I see the benefits of that kind of living.

I am not, in what I’ve written, making reference to the OTP over-supplied exxy apartments. I am saying that apartments make an alternative purchasing decision to houses, if people are catering to a particular market.

kay henry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.