All Topics / Heads Up! / Spotting a Dodgy Guru

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican
    Originally posted by kay henry:

Well, yeah… the property management stuff only made up a bit of the article. There’s 44 points.

Whether this issue- dodgy gurus- has been discussed before or not… there’s always new people coming onto the Forum, and people can have access to all kinds of info.

kay henry

Um, yeah, but most of the 44 points are rubbish…. things that John Reed cant understand…..

Discussed before or not…. and your point is ??? All posts are here, and searchable…..

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Quite right Pelican!!!

Honestly!!! (Sigh)

Who cares???!!! Dodgy or not; people will have their idols, regardless of what you or I say to rebuke their credibility. The way I see it; live and let live!!!

John Reed’s checklist is just another means of self-justification; and in short, just one man’s view. There will be those that agree with him, and those who will not. At the end of the day, most people will make up their own minds, if they haven’t already!!!

Jo

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

“Some things he [De Roos] is doing in real life are visible for all to see.”

— Correct.

“Check out his website for the property ventures he’s doing. They are great,”

— The facts and figures behind the projects are what is important.

“and he’s the first to do anything like that in his areas.”

— Incorrect.

“So he may be a big time developer these days”

— Incorrect.

De Roos has packaged the fundamentals of real estate investment [SFH’s] for the masses and in doing so become successful in his own right.

But his experience beyond the fundamentals of financing and/or investing in SFH’s is limited in practise, and his experience as a developer is even more limited.

The moral of my comments is to not put absolute trust and confidence in everything the “guru’s” write [or post on their website’s] – including John T. Reed, whom I personally have no time for.

If however confidence is gained which translates into success, then the “guru’s” have done their job. But it takes more than these books and seminars to become “independently wealthy”, which I am sure those who are in this category will agree.

— Michael

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Guru or whatever we call them, whether they are right or wrong is one way of perceiving them. I think we aid their guru status because inherently there can be that inkling inside of us that believes ‘there’s just one last secrect in this guy/gal’s seminar, book, product, etc that I need.’ Once we ‘think’ we’ve captured that ‘final’ missing element (which we believe before we will start to believe in ourselves) then they continue to remain on a ‘guru’ platform because of the second life we have give them in our search for the Holy Grail (eg Kiyosaki’s stream of books). Personally if Kiyosaki’s rich dad story was BS then all that means to me is that it has changed shelves at the book shop from ‘nonfiction’ to ‘fiction’. If it still had the desired effect then so be it. It did for me.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

The Kiyosaki fiction thing is just an accusation because Kiyosaki has never named Rich Dad. So what, I say!

“As for J.T Reed being the saint he proclaims to be, I leave you with the title of one his books: ‘How to Buy Real Estate for Little or No Money Down’.”

Treed is such a hypocrite. He rubbished de Roos for saying that (kay – I didn’t rebut all 44 Treed points cause I have a life, (well a bit of one), but they were 95 percent rubbish. i’ll rebut them verbally all one by one on the phone if you like, it’ll be quicker!)

and then he goes and writes a book about the thing he rubbishes others for. what a hoax. and the title is such a rip off. I can’t believe people fall for Treed. Oh yea, I can – cause most people fall for FEAR.

And Michael R, how can you say this –
    “”and he’s the first to do anything like that in his areas.”

There is one of the developments, the sunnier one, and there is definitely nothing else like that going on in that area. Have you ever been there? It is transformed. (will be).

“So he may be a big time developer these days”
    — Incorrect.

Again, compared to who? You? Trump? “Rich Dad?” Well, I guess it’s all relative, but compared to 95 percent of the world let’s call him a big time developer. Can you argue with that now? Is he your competition or something?

cheers-
    Mini

joy to the world

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

Mini – the point of my reply was De Roos is not as experienced [beyond RE [SFH] investment 101] as he portrays. Nor are any of the projects he is involved with unique.

He has partnered with a developer who is successful in his own right, but the foundation of this partnership is questionable from my perspective. In saying this I hope for the sake of their investors that the partnership is successful.

“compared to 95 percent of the world let’s call him a big time developer”

– This statement is quite incorrect. The reason I am wasting my time reiterating these points is less sophisticated investors [possibly others reading these posts] must not confuse literature/incl. a website with reality.

“Is he your competition”

– Without wanting to sound arrogant, I would not employ someone with De Roos’ limited experience, let alone consider him or the projects he is involved with competition.

— Michael

Profile photo of secretgnomesecretgnome
    @secretgnome

Sorry to the pessimest J.T Reed, but after reading all of his Dolf De Roos article, I can’t help but laugh.

Firstly, I love how he says “there isn’t much money in property management” – small time there’s about a job + a business profit, but there are big companies doing it creatively that are making truckloads.

Secondly about how hard he rekons it is to find +ive cashflow deals. I was recently working in a real estate office and came across numerous +ive cashflow deals on our books.

My major concern though is with the people who read what he says and say to themselves “he’s right – it’s really hard work”. That just puts people off and makes them look for reasons why it can’t work, instead of how it can. My opinion is it’s not important what facts and all Dolf & Robert say, it’s what you get out of them and whether it empowers or disempowers you.

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

G’day Minimogul,
    The most amazing thing about you,is the fact that you are far and away in front of everyone on this forum,when it comes to intelligence.
    Why the HELL would you need go to anyone’s seminar is beyond me.(Yes I’ve mentioned this before).
    The last people on earth,you would believe are “seminar gurus and book writers”. I don’t go to seminars or read books.
    Love reading your comment though.

bbruham.[withstupid]

Profile photo of Redline944Redline944
    @redline944

I read Kiyosaki’s book and it changed my life. Not because it gave me the magic formula to wealth etc, it just made sense and justified the frustrations I’d been feeling and the ambitions I’d been dreaming of pursuing. He taught me to ignore the cynicism of others and the fear of failure.

De Roos book, just the ideas contained in the chapter on adding value was worth the price of the book.

And then we get onto our beloved McKnight…..say no more.

I’m a UK based PI, nice little (expanding) +ve cashflow porfolio in the UK which I (at the moment) manage myself. I also have a number of European based development projects which if I didn’t have quality managers overseeing, wouldn’t get past the excited wine blurred talking about stage.

I think the point I’m eventually getting to is that you read, digest and filter. Just one sentance from a ten £ or $ book can make or save you a fortune. I will never stop reading, looking for ideas and further inspiration (and ignoring the cynics).

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

And the converse of ignoring the cynics is: due diligence.

kay henry

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.