All Topics / Help Needed! / Loans for 18yo

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of slodkislodki
    @slodki

Hi there.

Im trying to get into +ve cashflow property investing. The thing is i dont know if at my current age its possible. Im thinking of investing with my (younger) brother. Between us we have around 7-8000 saved up. This is capital either for a business (if we come up with one) or a deposit or two for property.

Now, how hard would it be to get a loan under my name, or both our names. We would probably try to accquire a property or two for under $80-100,000. How likely would it be to get the required amount of load for us?

We both work and probably make around 200-300 a week between both of us. Could be almost double that if need be to repay a load etc.

Any suggestions or ideas? Also, if investing in the NZ market it would be much harder in our situation i presume?

Thanks in advance for any info/hints/tips etc :)

Slodki

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald

Hi slodki,

I’d be really interested to see the answers some of the members come up with. I’m 19 and have been pursuing CFP properties activley for a year now. When i first turned 18 i went and saw my local loans agent at the bank who was incrediably helpful and gave me an idea on what i could borrow based on;
    *what i had in current savings and other assets
    *what i could borrow based on my predicted income that year
    *the ways i could speed up my savings (ie award saver accounts)
    *how to establish a credit rating without taking on unmanagable debt
    This is was really encouraging for me as a teenager and it was great to have some solid numbers to work towards. I’m not sure what relationship you have with your bank or chosen lender but i guess it never hurts to ask.
    Anyway i look forward to reading everyone else’s opinion.

cheers,

e x

Profile photo of YorkerYorker
    @yorker

I highly doubt your chances, hate being negative. My advice would be to knuckle down, get a job in property (learn in someone else’s kitchen) then buy when the market gets back on track i.e 2-3 years. By then your knowledge should have increased exponentially

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

The issue isn’t 18 or 19 years old.

It wil probably be your limited income that makes your broker earn his pay. Tho living at home with no expenses will help a bit.

All the best – I love seeing younger people getting into stuff – wish i did at 18!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hey Slodki,

I wish you the best of luck but also find it highly unlikely.

To get a property for 80k, 20% would be 16k for which you don’t have from reading your post.

Say you get a loan for 90%. A 10% Deposit would mean you need the following:
    8k – Deposit
    2k – Mortgage Insurance
    1k – Legal Fees
    1k – Building Inspection, Valuation and Bank and Laneding Fees

Total = approx 12k. You mentioned you only have approx 7-8k.

From what I see, you can either get another money partner or get your parents to put up some equity.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of slodkislodki
    @slodki

Thanks for the replies :)

I might actually get my dad started as well. He seems keen and interested from what ive told him. Plus we’re building a townhouse at the back of a property we’ve brought and renovating the front property.

Maybe by the time he buys a few houses, my brother and i would save up a bit more, and like you suggested unlock some equity :)

Thanks for all the answers. Much appreciated :)

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Slodki

You could possibly get a 95% loan. Are you working full time or part time? You would need around 6 months in the same job (not casual and not on probation) and 3-5% genuine savings (of loan amount) to qualify.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hey Slodki,

I also forgot to mention that you’ll be paying Stamp Duty – so add an extra 2-4k

Kind Regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all

slodski, the advantage of NZ is you can buy properties still for under 40k , but the problem will be at least 20% deposit.

When my son bought his first property in Ararat a few years ago he couldn’t get a loan as he had just started a new job. So i leant him the money (actually it was my mother come to think of it), and he did some work on this property and added value to it. He then lost his job but was able to get a loan through homepath for 80% finance on a 30k house rented at 100pw even though he was at home on unemployment benifits. Yes i know you can’t buy homes in Ararat for 30K today but if there is a will … you know the rest.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Also with that Slodki,

Is that theres no Stamp Duty in NZ. If you feel comfortable with investing overseas, then NZ may be the best option for you. Ask Westan, Minimogul or Castledreamer to add you to their database – they’ve got great deals.

kind regards,
    George.

Profile photo of waynel2waynel2
    @waynel2

Hi slodki,

I’m 23yr old now, though I bought my 1st property at the age of 19. I was able to use the first home buyers grant and with that I only had to put about $2-3K towards it out of my money.

Since then I used the equity to purchase a block of land in yanchep, and another IP in Merriwa, Perth. (Currently renovating the IP in Merriwa)

The key is having a good Mortgage Broker that can go through everything with you and explain everything in black and white.

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it!!! Keep being persistant and maybe even see 1 0r 2 different brokers. Are you working fulltime? If you can get fulltime work this will help as it will allow you to service the loan better!

all the best!

Wayne Leech

*Below are links to my websites – any feedback, comments would be appreciated:)
    http://www.landsearcher.com.au – List your land for FREE (Private sellers only)
    http://www.homesearcher.com.au – List your property for FREE (Private sellers only)

Profile photo of waynel2waynel2
    @waynel2

Hi guys,

Following my above post, I had a few people emailing and asking how? So I thought I would explain how I achieved this…

The first home I bought was my own home (eg, PPOR – Principal place of residence). I lived in that for a couple of years then moved elsewhere.

The purchase price was $104k – the deposit and mortgage insurance etc required was about $9-10k.. so i contributed the $7k first home buyers grant towards the home and then abit of my own money (which i had saved up – which demonstrated my savings ability).

I was fortunate that you could still purchase homes in metro Perth for that price. I was also fortunate for it to return strong capital growth over the next three years which gave me access to equity in the property – which I then used to buy the next property. The property is now valued at $195k – which has given me equity to play with.

This is probably not a good model to use, though because of my age I decided to take the risk. When getting my second property I actually borrowed additional money on top of the purchase price of the second property which I put in a term deposit account and used it to cover the mortgage short fall on the second property. This was using debt to pay debt, though I figured that property only had to go up 7% in value that year to cover my contributions. Again, I was fortunate as it went up 65k in the first 12mths!

From the equity in both these properties I’ve now just purchased a 3rd IP in Merriwa, Perth. Which I will be doing up and renting out. I’m renovating the property for two reasons, one to make it presentable for renting – the other to increase the equity in the home for further lending.

With only being 23yr old, my strategy now is to try to purchase property in new areas with potential for higher than average CG and work out ways to fund the shortfall on the mortgage. I’ll have to tread carefully now though as the market seems to be easing off and the CG potential is dying down.

I’ve gotta get back to work, though if there’s any young investor’s wanting a chat feel free to post your questions! I’ll respond here rather than via email so everyone can read it…

People may disagree – though being young in this game is a major advantage, so keep thinking about the bigger picture as time is on your side!!! Also think that time usually equals CG, which equals Equity, which allows you to purchase more properties!!!

anyway back to work!!! Good luck – and keep persisting!!!

Wayne Leech

*Below are links to my websites – any feedback, comments would be appreciated:)
    http://www.landsearcher.com.au – List your land for FREE (Private sellers only)
    http://www.homesearcher.com.au – List your property for FREE (Private sellers only)

@slodki

Very interesting there waynel2. Good read. Thanks mate.

With regards to investing in NZ. I would probably prefer to invest there in the beggining due to the lower purchase prices involved. I work part time, so does my brother. However he is going to quit soon so he can concentrate on his yr 12 VCE.

One thing is that, between us we have saved a large (for us) amount of money on ‘normal’ wages that your average teenager makes etc.

The fact that there is no stamp duty in NZ, and the lower purchase price seems like a good reason to start there. Ive already emailed all the relevent people to be put on the databases. Even if i dont buy a property any time soon, ill at least get a feel for the type of properties i should be looking for.

If not, like i said, ill invest in NZ with my father, then after unlock some equity to help my brother and i out.

Slodki

Profile photo of there_is_always_a_waythere_is_always_a_way
    @there_is_always_a_way

Hey slodki,

I myself am 18 and still learning the many knots of the proverbial rope of property. I have no job, no investments and am practically living off my parents. However my investing of financial education in this past month has led me to learn a lot more than my parents have learnt in a lifetime about property. Like I stated previously I have no job and no money, however my recent conversations with my dad got him thinking to buy property for me however receive the benefits that otherwise I currently do not need. E.g. tax. Creating a company and trust structure is one of the ways that have began to get that old mouse in the cage running again and attaining a CFP with the income being tax free has turned the cage into a dynamo. I’d probably say to you be financed by your father instead of investing with him. Coz once u get one property a lot of your financial issues will hopefully fall into place.” or so my mentors say”
    Keep at it alot of people are out there. You working and willing, sooner hopefully not later you’ll hit upon your mine if u can keep digging.

TIAAW

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald

Hi all,

how good is it to see people under the age of twenty focused on building wealth through property. When i told my parents i was looking to purchase an IP before my 20th birthday they laughed and said i should focus on my studies and ‘get a high paying job’. I got similar responses from my peers who said with my degree i would make ‘more then enough money’ and that all i should be worried about is ‘having a good time’.
    I really like this site because i guess it lets you know that there are other likeminded people out there.
    cheers,

e x

Profile photo of jsprijspri
    @jspri

hi all, just thought i would contribute, as i am also 18yrs of age. Also’emcdonald’ tell your parents to read “Rich Dad, Poor Dad’ or read it your self its a great book and then you can explain to them about the rat race.
    I have just written up a 3page plan for the next 5yrs, its good idea i believe, so if you are serious as i am you should do the same as well. I went and saw the bank 2days ago and to be honest she was a bitch when i said i earnt 12k a year and then didn’t really want to talk to me. But as i persued the convosation with the lender, for merely for information sake as i intended to use a NZ bank anyway, i let her know that i was able to get a garanteer on the loan that i was applying for, which then made it okay.
    You can borrow money, if you have someone to back you up, like your parents, as you can’t use an overseas property as security, thats if you get a loan in australia, so i was told.
    I am actually going in with my sister in the next couple of weeks, as she has a full time job, and together we have enough for a deposit for 2 places.
    The plan in short is, buy those 2 property with her, and then save for another property for my self and use the first 2 as security….. in the end i take over ther world, nah j/k but i’m hoping have enough +cf to generate deposits for other places in the next 5yrs, whilist i still study (Robotic engineering / computer science). I wish to jsut merely use property as solid grounding, but my passion is to be a share guru.
    good luck slodki, no doubt you are way ahead of all your friends, as i know none of mine have the same mindset, so heres for a positive future for us youngings (i figure 18 was a good time to start, cause i like the idea of compound interest)[grad]

@slodki

Yea, both my brother (17 year old) and i are way ahead of my other mates. Only one of my other mates has read “Rich dad poor dad”.

I wonder how much harder it would be to get a loan with a NZ bank, compared to Australia. Also, even if we did get a loan i wonder what the interest rates they would charge??

Only one way to find out i guess :)

Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

Hey guys, just to fill you al in,
    You can get a loan at the age of 19, i did.
    depends on how much $$$ u earn though.
    i had $40,000 saved when i brought mine aat 18, i brought in sydney this year for $260,000 with a $230,000 loan and am almost ready for my second property.
    i had no garantor and no other help, i live at home have little expenses and earn $700 base wage a week, well at the time it was $592PW so yes you can get a loan for a prop at your age, but…. you have to have an income that can sustain the loan, my loan is $1600 per month p&i and i have no tenants in it yet so u need 2 be able 2 handle that + other expenses.
    I feel that being an agent myself though gives me more confidence to suceed as i am surrounded by real estate and see hopw it6 works every day of the week.

If u have any Questions dont hesitate to message me>
    Regards Nathan Birch.

Profile photo of jsprijspri
    @jspri

I’ll let you know how i go in the next couple of weeks. Just getting documentation organised (proof of wage) and then i’ll talk to them.

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

I suggest you read what TerryW has written. Banks will lend to anyone as long as you can prove income/job, have savings and have a deposit. Minimum age is 18, if banks didn’t lend to you I think you would have a case for discrimination (you can vote at 18, and goto jail for murder…).

You can get 95% lends, and many banks allow you to capitalise mortgage insurance, so you don’t have to pay that upfront. So in the end these loans can go up to 97% lend aginst assets (you still have to pay a 5% deposit and keep 5% for closing costs).

As for deposits – go for lower priced properties (sub $150K), usually these are positively geared as well. Also check out student loans (must be a full time Uni or TAFE student), some have periods where you do not have to pay interest (check these loans out though… know the downsides). Beware though of using these.

Slodki check out the ANZ, through a broker (of course).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.