All Topics / General Property / ASBESTOS AND FIBRO

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

Hi,
    There has been a few posts lately about fibro and asbestos and I would like to pass on the info that I have recieved from having to deal with work cover regarding the removal of fibro cover strips on fibro houses.
    1. Treat all fibro as if it may contain asbestos.
    2. There is a 5 hour Tafe course NSW called Bonded asbestos removal training and comes with a certificate.
    3.To remove cover strips:
    Wear protective overalls, gloves and a mask,
    Wet down strips, Have black plastic on the ground.Punch nails and try and remove strips without breaking (near impossible).
    Spray over joints with a Sealer like Boncrete.
    Wrap up plastic with tape and take to a certified tip and you need to obtain a reciept.
    This only needed if you intend to clad, render,
    granosite over walls or have to replace cover strips. Not to paint. Although I didn’t get into asking about sanding fibro, or knocking off whole sheets. I have been told the cost to remove all fibro from a 3 b/room house by a Licensed asbestos remover will be at least $5,000
    Robo

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Robo, thanks for excellent info.
    I would be very interested on costs involved for removal only of asbestos roof

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

Hi Marisa,
    I have heard you can seal roofs and paint them, you should speak to a roof painter or someone like Roof Shield.
    Robo

http://www.bestclad.com.au

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Thanks Robo, its great to be able to access this kind of information. Cheers[biggrin]

Profile photo of Traci-leeTraci-lee
    @traci-lee

I have noticed when in WA recently that their is a lot of fencing that appears to be asbestos. Does anyone know what its made out of and is it costly to remove. It seems to be every where. Currently I am looking at WA property but the local agent seems a bit over relaxed about it. I was just thinking of any risk it may be to the tennant or possilble future law suits. Any comments?
    Traci

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

Traci don’t stress too much – most of that fencing is hardi-flex that does not contain asbestos. If the fence is 1990s onwards it probably isn’t asbestos.

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of wanting morewanting more
    @wanting-more

“I have been told the cost to remove all fibro from a 3 b/room house by a Licensed asbestos remover will be at least $5,000”

Well it is a small price to pay for your family to see you grow old.. Home renovators and the general public just don’t understand the dangers.
    It only takes one minute piece of fibre to cause asbestosis or mesothelioma
    House Proud.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.