All Topics / Help Needed! / Investor – ATO

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi All, heard the usual hype this morning that ATO recruiting more staff to target investors who are ripping them off ….. bla bla bla…

Maybe silly question, but how does someone who is potentially cheating stand out amongst 1,000s. Does anyone know of the criteria they follow???[blink]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Marisa,

My guess and in a single word ‘technology’ – when your return is processed by the ATO and numbers entered into the computer a series of red flags will come up when the numbers are ‘unreasonable’ – these will be followed up on and if necessary an audit conducted.

Technology will also cross reference financial institutions (who use your TFN) to ensure there is consistency between what you say and they say.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

My understanding is they look at your occupation, wage, investments, prior returns..then match you against other people in your occupation, then with similair investments, wages and various other ‘standards’..if you stand out- you get flagged..

REDWING[upsidedown]Then your world gets topsy turvy for a bit… ha ha

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I’ve heard that about 85% of property investors audited were mistaken in their claims (usually not in the ATO’s favour of course).

I agree with the above. Anything out of the ordinary with trigger a red flag. eg if you claim double the average for travel, then they may ask you to substanitate teh claim.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.