Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of lemziplemzip
    @lemzip

Hi Guys,

I’m fairly new to this game but looking forward to investing in pc. Just a question – I have lived in QLD for 4 years am ready to buy, just want to know if I should buy here in QLD (as I am still renting) around $250k but wondering if I should start investing in NZ as I know the areas well (being from NZ) and have done a good amount of research and know that I can buy houses back there for around the $50k which rent for $150wk which I know will receive pc – so what do you all think??? House in QLD or House in NZ???

If NZ does anyone know how I can organise finance in NZ as I will continue to reside in QLD.

[smiling]

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage
    Originally posted by lemueltipene:

If NZ does anyone know how I can organise finance in NZ as I will continue to reside in QLD.

[smiling]

I organise finance for NZ.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:1800 820 500
    VICTORIA

PLEASE note comments made should NOT be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice. Please seek professional, specific advice.

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

Focus on New Zealand – and short to medium term [3-7 years] capital growth.

— Michael

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo
    Originally posted by lemueltipene:

I know the areas well (being from NZ) and have done a good amount of research and know that I can buy houses back there for around the $50k which rent for $150wk which I know will receive pc – so what do you all think??? House in QLD or House in NZ???

When was the last time you did research on the market in NZ – very hard now from what I hear to find properties for 50k renting at 150 p/w.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald

If you’re still looking for that elusive bargin IP try jumping onto either the Harcourts or L.J. Hooker NZ sites and searching for properties under $100,000 that are currently tennanted and CFP. Here’s one that I found yesterday:
    http://www.harcourts.co.nz/listing/details.do?rul=%2Fsearch%2Fprocess.do%3Fpg%3D2%26ts%3D38515784%26sta%3D1001%26br%3DB%26typ%3DHOU%26pmx%3D50000&id=226417

the low down is that this is selling for $30k and returning $90 a week currently.
    There really are some great properties out there you just need to keep your eyes open.

anyone else found any great deals in NZ?

cheers, erin

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Hi there,

I live in QLD as well, but am happily investing in NZ for the short term (5+yrs approx).

cash positive in NZ is great way to go, but finding the 50K returning 150 rent is getting harder to near impossible. Likely to find the 45-50K returning 125-130 rent, or go for a more likely capital growth area 80-95K returnin 180-220pw. All cash positive properties, just that some are in areas less likely to appreciate quickly over time.

NZ Finance, try the red link button on the menu bar on the left of the forum page. It takes you through to a mortgage arranger who accesses a NZ broker who appears to be doing good things.

We know of a few brokers or options that have worked well for people we know – you can email me or Minimogul to get the rundown on who those are.

Cheers
    CD

CastleDreamer
    “+CF properties in NZ available now”

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Erin

just a response about the property that you posted, you need to be careful with towns like Murupara, its only a small place of about 2,000 people and considered very romote by NZ standards. I notice on the ad it says Rotorua, well rotorua is about 70km away. The town has large unemployment 31% compared to the NZ average of 46%. But if it still interests you then you must make sure you have a local property manager who can help you, i doubt if Murupara has one ?
    all the best

westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Erin

Westan missed out a decimal point in his posting

The town has large unemployment 31% compared to the NZ average of 46%.

NZ unemployment rate should read 4.6% not 46%.
    (Just Westan’s fat fingers[biggrin])

I agree with Westan about Murupara.
    It is on the edge of the Urewera country.
    There is a very high Maori population in the town.
    A large number of high school students go by bus to Rotorua for obvious reasons.
    Murupara has a good golf course. Had a 79 on it in 1997.
    Most of those who do work are forestry workers.
    It only takes about 35mins to get to Rotorua.

Regards

@emcdonald

thanks muppet and westan,
    just goes to show that a local knowlege can be the difference between a great IP or a landlords nightmare!
    with regard to CG in NZ properties is the reported growth in property values set to continue? I’ve had conflicting reports re what the market is likely to do over the next 6 months. Any feedback much appreciated,
    e x

@westan

Hi Erin

as far as expected capital growth, if you had asked me 3 months ago i would have said continued slow growth. However somethings have changed recently.
    Firstly the RBNZ has continued to life interest rates even though it was already the highest in the developed world. Personally i think the rates will end up coming back in the next 12 months but the RBNZ makes the decision not me. The economy over here is doing very well and therefore his thoughts are he must slow it down (no doesn’t make sense to me either), why not enjoy growth and the prosperity it brings as long as its not out of control and it clearly isn’t. (enough of my soap box).
    2. Most of NZ has had great growth recently, however not as large as Austrlia’s growth.
    3. Immigration has been slowed. Imigration has been a real neccessity for the country and helped drive housing demand it is now slowing.

OK so given these three factures demand for housing in NZ has slowed greatly and now we are starting to see a flattening of the market. I see this as a healthy thing.
    There are still areas of NZ that will continue to show capital growth and the wise investor will try to find these. It has been a personal startegy of mine to buy in areas that are having something happen that will drive up the demand for housing , something such as new industries etc. I’d say look for these types of possibilities.
    But there are areas that will not grow and may even decline, most of the talk of a market in decline is around areas of Auckland especially the new unit market.

hope this help a little
    Muppet i’d be interested in your thought on this topic.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

Erin

Have a look at the http://www.propertytalk .co.nz site for up to date news about the NZ market and ask questions there.

Westan
    I agree with you. Also it is a bit like trying to pick the Lotto numbers for Saturday as to what is going to happen in the next 12 months.
    What with oil around US$48 per barrel.

I read in an aricle tonite that the tenancy maket in Auckland is swinging in the favour of tenants as more and more new housing comes on stream. Coupled with the decrease in immigration rents are flattening off as prospective tenants have more to choose from.
    As long as farming stays strong most rural areas will continue to prosper. But if petrol prices continue to climb along with interest rates ummmm it will be interesting to say the least.

Regards

Profile photo of YorkerYorker
    @yorker

NZ offers better cashflow, however at present QLD provides better capital growth.

@emcdonald

thanks for all your help [smiling]
    do either of you own IP in NZ that has been purchased in the last year?
    e x

@westan

yes Erin

i’ve bought 20 since July 2003, the last 6 weeks ago.

regards westan

Participant
    @castledreamer

Hi Erin,
    I have 14 properties purchased in NZ and another four or five on the go at the moment, purchased since January 2004.

Cheers
    CD

CastleDreamer
    “+CF properties in NZ available now, email CastleDreamer or Minimogul”

@westan

Hi all

CD gee you have been very active since we last spoke, i’ve actually bought 21 forgot one.

what i really wanted to say was to ask Yorker why he says

NZ offers better cashflow, however at present QLD provides better capital growth.

I thought that the capital growth in QLD was at about the end of this cycle also for much of the same reasons as i said about NZ.
    Oh and while i’m at it Muppet my comment about Murupara, what i meant to say was the area has large unemployment. The full time employment figure is 31% compaired to the average full time employment of 46%. Muppet the full time unemployment of 46% relates to NZers living in OZ.[biggrin], sorry for that misunderstanding.

regards westan

Participant
    @castledreamer

Many say that if you are buying in Aus at the moment, you could do a lot worse than the south east corner of QLD. Increasing population – warm sunny weather (albeit lacking in rain desperately at the moment!), a great lifestyle area to move to. Predictions of growth for BNE and surrounding satellite cities of Logan, Ipswich, the Sunshine coast cities, the new Springfield continuing development, etc etc, seem to indicate that Brissy is gonna be bigger than Ben Hur within 20 years. Why wouldn’t you wanna live here???

Despite a strong focus on NZ property at the moment, I am seriously starting to look more closely at my own back yard, and where I grew up – Logan, where I used to work – Ipswich. I think there are still some fine opportunities for growth around these areas – it just won’t be as fast as the last couple of years…..

Cheers
    CD
    Yep Westan, I am trying to even the count!!! Can’t have all of NZ being bought up by Aussies living there (WEstan,,, Tasinvestor,,,, Muppet, what are you doing to keep them in line!!!!)

Cheers

CastleDreamer
    “+CF properties in NZ available now, email CastleDreamer or Minimogul”

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

“NZ offers better cashflow, however at present QLD provides better capital growth.”

What data do you have to back this up?

Following are a couple of figures [capital gains] for the last quarter – compared with the same quarter last year.

Applies to the New Zealand housing market, not apartments which in some sectors have increased at a higher rate, or commercial property:

Napier +30.0%
    Dunedin +29.5%
    Tauranga +28.2%
    Christchurch +27.8%
    Invercargill +25.2%
    Waitakere City +24.5%
    Auckland +20.0%

Several markets including Queenstown and Wanaka have exceeded these gains quite significantly.

Queenstown for the same period 38%; Wanaka estimated at +35%.

These gains are not expected to continue in the short-term, but I am confident a [comparable investment] buy and hold strategy of 3-7 years will outperform Queensland and most, if not all, Australian markets given the same period.

— Michael

@westan

Hi all

Michael interesting comments and ones i feel in agreement with. Whilst my earlier commments about NZ may appear negative, at the moment i see that if the market goes sideways for a while it will be a healthy thing. I just don’t want Aussies expecting to be buying NZ at a point where australia was 2 years ago, you will in most cases not be able to buy and expect the market to rise 20% in the next 6 months. But all is looking well for the investor who does his/her research. And will be prepared to buy and hold on to their investment for the comming years.

Michael next time your in NZ let me know it would be great to meet you.

regards westan

Profile photo of recoverymanrecoveryman
    @recoveryman

hi
    what about buying your own house
    no rent
    no capital gains tax
    can use equity to buy PI
    glenn

“I should be content to look at a mountain for what it is and not as a comment on my life” D. Ignatow

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.