All Topics / Help Needed! / Sell it or keep it?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of alwayscuriousalwayscurious
    Participant
    @alwayscurious

Hi there – I have a question – I currently own two negatively geared properties, and my own home.

Recently I’ve read more about positive cashflow investing, having read Steve’s book (loved it BTW)
    and also reading more stuff by Hans Jakobi.

My first prop was bought at 157500, it is 1 year old 3BR DLUG, I borrowed 180K and the rent is 225.
    My second prop was bought at $69000, it is an older unit, in my wife’s name (low/no income earner) Borrowed 80K, and the rent is 135.

As you can see- I borrowed more than the purchase price, and most of the money is gone. Big mistake.

Now we are in the situation where the first property costs $150 per month after tax, and the second $200 per month after tax – if I’ve done my figures right. Poo.

I think it might be time to sell the unit – however it needs work done to it to bring it back up to scratch. My thoughts are a paint job and some new carpet in the stairs, then see if I can sell it to break even on the loan?

Thoughts anyone? I am not too sensitive, so if you wish to berate me for being silly – go ahead :)

Cheers
    alwayscurious

Profile photo of Desk TopDesk Top
    @desk-top

the one thing ive learned by reading steves book is ask yourself one question when investing in property:

“What are you buying for? and how do you intend on making money from this investment”?

positive cash flow – earn money from day one?
    negative gearing – cost you money now for possible capital growth in the future??

Why did you buy these investments in the first place? i presume capital growth, which most people do.

i do recommend to spend a little money on renovating. ive recently spent 10k on renovating one of my investment properties and it added a 30 – 40k to the price. doing simply things, change carpet, a major paint job..changing all light fittings and light switches, door knobs etc…makes a huge differnce to the appearance and therefore value.

if you want out of your second investment, the best advice is spend some money on upgrading. it goes a long way, and hopefully you receive a good price to pay out your loan.

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi there, just wandering did you borrow more than purchase price as stated to improve property?

Profile photo of alwayscuriousalwayscurious
    Participant
    @alwayscurious

Thanks Desk Top; I’d love to do the renovation if I could find the time, or I had money.
    Currently I don’t have either available to me. I would have to borrow the money, and after a long hard think (enforced due to 3 days bed rest) I have come to the conclusion that I might just be in the poo.

Marissa – why did I borrow the extra?
    Naivety – to use for holding costs – ie rates / unexpected expenses. I also thought that I would be able to use the money to renovate.

We’ve had the second place for a year now and haven’t done too much except for regular maintenance.

Here’s the situation:

We are running very short of cash.

have 3 negatively geared investments,
    1 Unit – costs $180 -200 per month average
    Return is 8.88%

1 house – costs $150 – 200 per month
    Return is 6.59%

1 margin lend – costs $200 per month in interest

(I just finished contributing my last contribution, now the loan is fully drawn down. Before that it was $450 per month (250 contribution, 200 interest). Yikes.

Total monthly input is now:$600

The surplus money is now all gone, our own budget is going backwards to try and pay all the bills and I have woken up.

It looks like I made several big mistakes.
    (Duh! some of you might think)

My thoughts is to sell all three investments
    (break even on unit)
    and start again.
    Dump the profit in my own mortgage so we are in a better situation.
    We will start again.
    Save 10% this time and start from cash savings
    and put 20% deposits
    rather than borrow 110% like we did before

My thoughts – could be the illness speaking though. I feel pretty bummed about all – I feel like I’ve gone too high too fast and fizzed out.

Any alternatives anyone?

Regards, alwayscurious

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Well number one – congrats on getting your feet wet! There are many who never even invest, at least you have. All you have to do is take corrective action.

I would start by having a look at owner finacing as an option. This is where you sell your apprtment on Terms, so instead of getting one lump sum (from selling), you get payments that cover your mortgage and provide a proift (though with the deal it might just be to stop the bleeding).

Also I would highly suggest you get a copy of John Burleys book ‘Money Secrets of the Rich’. You can get it at any bookstore (if they don’t have it – order it in).

So here what I would do:
    1. Buy the book (essential for your case)
    2. Read it
    3. Learn more about owner finacing (wraps, L/O’s, etc).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Participant
    @alwayscurious

Thanks l_au.

Didn’t your mum ever tell you ‘don’t deal with the devil?’ [biggrin]

I have booked out the money secrets of the rich book from the library. I should get it soon.

Like I said, I am pretty short on Cash at the moment.

Participant
    @alwayscurious

By the way does anyone know of a Brisbane Solicitor that thoroughly knows and deals with Wraps / Lease Options?

Similar for Financiers/

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

alwayscurious

Now may not be the best time to sell – as there is a bit of a slump – depending on the location.

You don’t give the values for you properties, so that makes it hard to answer.

Depending on the values, selling all three in the one year may give you a big CGT bill. Since you wife is on a low income, it may be better to sell you wife’s unit as she would may the lowest CGT.

Also since you have a margin loan, you could sell your shares and use that case to help out. Again there would be CGT consequences.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of NATS12NATS12
    @nats12

it depends on your strategy going forward. you are still not in a bad situation.

your monthly outgoing is $600. you haven’t stated the situation on your principle residence – is it rented, owned, has a mortgage etc. the state of this has an affect on what to do.

if you fully own your PPOR then i would say keep the properties. remember, your outgoing here is $600 per month, so a total of $7200 but if you can afford that, and assuming average incomes and no PPOR debt you should be able to budget that in, then in 20 years you are going to own $230k (in todays terms) outright and it will be generating revenue for you with low outgoings. at current interest rates this investment is costing you 7200 per annum. so, even if you had to keep payig 7200 per annum for 30 years your outgoing would be 216000 and your propertywould be 230000. and remember, income will generally go up every year and the value of 7200 becomes less of a burden on your property.

i don’t think sell all and start again is the correct solution in this case. you haven’t been clear on the invesment on margin lending as you have this outgoing in your 600 per month but we don’t know what positive income or growth you are receiving from this.

yes you don’t fit the positive cashflow rules however many millionaires have been made from alternative means!

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Giday alwayscurious,
    It almost sounds like you cross-colateralised?! How did you get 110% for your IPs? If that is so, you might have to sell ALL your properties, including your PPOR.
    Hope I’m wrong, but I too would try to do all that is necessary to hold onto the IPs (its worth while in the long run).
    There are several Mortgage Brokers on this site and others that deal with lending. Find them and give them all your info and see what they can do for you! You might have to refinance to change your situation from a down hill slide into a level plateau or even a climb.
    If you’ve read Steve’s book, you’d have read him stating that +CF IPs are made not necessarily bought.
    I’d like to encourage you to try before you toss in the towel, you can still do that after every other avenue has been closed off to you.
    You’ll only ever know when you have a go.
    Best wishes and keep us informed.

Cheers

C@34

Participant
    @alwayscurious

Thanks for all the replies people!

Here’s the breakdown of the numbers:

PPOR – worth 279K
    Mortgage 118K
    Repayments per month 1026.67 (P&I)
    *** Note – we have sold this and bought a bigger house for family reasons.
    New PPOR from Oct – 298K
    New Mortgage ~150K
    New repayments 1305.09 per month

Margin Lending/share portfolio
    Curr value: 43K
    Curr Loan : 25K (Int Only, fixed)
    Equity : 18K
    Monthly contribution (was)-$250
    Monthly interest costs -$180
    Total monthly costs (was)-$430
    Now (stop contributions) -$180
    Divedends(Reinvested) $1500 / year
    Growth ~10% on average
    —-
    Inv Prop 1.
    Curr Value: ~250K
    Curr Loan : 177K (Int only, variable)
    Equity: 73K
    80% Equity: 23K
    Rent : +225 /w
    Interest : -997 / month
    Rates : -1400 / year
    Insurance : -500 / year
    Maintenance: -500 / year
    Prop M’ment: 9.3% (inc gst) + 5.5 p&petties.
    Buffer -500

Cash Cost -4311 / year
    Dep (house) +2500 / year (from tax)
    Real Cost -1811

Cash Cost 150 /month

Inv Prop 2)
    Curr Value: ~82K
    Curr Loan : 80K (P&I intro rate)
    Equity: 2K (not really accessible)
    80% Equity: 0
    Rent : +135 /w
    P&Interest: -473 / month
    Rates : -1300 / year
    Insurance : -180 / year
    Maintenance: -350 / year
    Body Corp -1000/ year
    Prop M’ment: 8.25% (inc gst) + 5.5 p&petties.
    Buffer -300

Cash Cost -2431 / year
    Dep (house) 0 (no taxable income)
    Real Cost -2431

Cash Cost 202 /month

Total Cash Costs -180

Current cash cost -532 / month

Add on my PPOR costs and suddenly:
    >100% of income

Sorry about the rant – it helps me solidify where I am at.

My current thought is to sell
    Inv Prop # 1, realise Capital Gain, pay the 14K CGT, put the rest in my mortgage, and enough into Inv Prop # 2 mortgage to keep the bank happy. This will reduce the costs there as well.

Maybe I only have to sell 1 at this point. My annoyance is it’s the “good” one. It’s newer, and easy to rent. The other one is older, needs work and rents slowly. (vacancy)

At least I won’t be as exposed to interest rate rises.

C@34 – yes they are cross collateralised.
    I shouldn’t have to sell all 3 hopefully. If I sell Inv 1 – I will instruct @ settlement to reduce Inv 2 Loan to 80 % of prop and then plunge rest in to mortgage.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

alwayscurious,

I think your situation would be similar to many people’s. I wouldn’t panic. There may be other options to selling.

* Can your wife get a job?
    * Can you take on some overtime?
    * Are your rents at market rental or is there room for some increase?
    * Are you due for long service leave or some other cash payment that you could use to alleviate some of the costs?

It is probably easier and quicker to get out of your share portfolio (SELL SELL!) than it is to get out of property (damper market, high costs of selling).

However, if you really are stressed out, then building a property empire isn’t everything.

I sold a property and then got myself into way more debt by buying a few more… but the sale of that property was a weight off my shoulders, and freed me up to do different things. Money isn’t worth having a heart attack over.

Have you spoken to your accountant to get his or her advice? The might have an exit strategy that you haven’t yet thought of. I think you’re probably right bout having to flog off only one property- at most. But selling is sometimes a really good idea- you don’t lose a property.. you gain some capital :)

kay henry

Participant
    @alwayscurious

thanks Kay. Some people I talk to basically say that selling a property is equivalent to abusing kittens and so forth. :)

We have chosen for my wife not to work at a paid job, we have an 18 month old child. She used to work in childcare and we decided not put our own child in.

She is starting up an AVON business again. I have considered taking a night job… We deliver papers.

I am realising that there is a balance needed – I beleive we have gone too neg geared and our balance is off. To save our marriage, health, etc, I am quite prepared to do what it takes to do this.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry
    Originally posted by alwayscurious:

thanks Kay. Some people I talk to basically say that selling a property is equivalent to abusing kittens and so forth. :)

That’s hilarious, always! hehe. Actually, selling off underperformers at the top of the market is not a bad idea. It really depends on where your property is (booming suburb?) ands how long you’ve had the property (under one year and selling would not be good for CGT liability). The old adage of buy low, sell high… is as fundamental as “location location”, I reckon.

Selling is probably only an idea for underperformers though, or if you are super-stretched financially. My properties in NSW, for example, are buy and holds probably forever, because of the newly imposed exit duty. So I now buy properties that can live for the next 40 years, and not fall to pieces.

Thanks for the kitten analogy- it’s very funny!

kay henry

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

It looks like IP1 is growing well, so it would be a shame to sell it.

What about selling your shares? that should release enough money to help you live on for a while. Or at least stop revinvesting the dividends to help with the cashflow.

Selling properties is expensive. You have to pay agents fees and CGT and legals etc. And then later on you will want o purchase another one when you get back on your feet again = more stamp duty, legals fees etc. Since IP 1 has grown by about $90,000 in one year, it may continue to grow at a rapid rate.

I myself, would be inclined to stretch it out as long as possible.

And if you do sell, why pay down an IP loan when you still have your PPOR loan. You should not reduce the debt on an IP, but put it all into the non deductible debt.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Always, I can see where you are coming from. In a house we had paid off and with 23 properties all our funds were keeping us afloat rather comfortably, when we bought our ‘dream home’ this year it has nearly crippled us.

The house we left in Sydney hasnt sold, our mortgage here is 1.2 mil we are now trying to sell 5 houses to kill 1/2 of that.

Sometimes the harsh reality is that you make major mistakes and then have to be ruthless to fix it. Try selling the 2 most negative and keep the third. One set of rates, body corp fees and maintainance will probably get you over the line. As rents go up too, look to the one that has the greatest potential for rent increases with small renos too. So you dont have to pay stamp duty and cap gains on the three sales, maybe next time you actually save 20% before getting into new ip’s.

That would mean that any growth can be used straight away. We bought one and due to location got a 65% lvr loan so we had to throw in a wopping $35k plus costs. 3 months later we got a val of $120k with a new lender got 76%. So we peeled 26k out 3 months after setting it up.

Think hard before borrowing more than any property is worth, and if you borrow 80% you always have a buffer.

Good luck, hope this helps.

DD

Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Participant
    @alwayscurious

Yay! I finally made a decision last night when talking to an advisor/friend of mine. (older & wiser)

I will sell the margin lending portfolio. I have set this in motion TODAY.
    Then I will temporarily Park some of the cash in IP 2 (under performing one), spend small amount (under 3K) getting ready for market and sell it once the 12months+1day CGT thing is up. (2 months time)

I will only incur a small CGT bill, my wife will incur a small one (if at all, due to not much income) and we will be a bit freeer!!!

WOOOO. Thanks for all your help so far everyone.

I DEFINITELY plan to save 20% deposit from now on, I can see that’s a much smarter way to do things.

In other news – my rental manager yesterday from IP 1 has said the tenants are moving on, and she is increasing the rent to $245 per week. WOW, that makes a big difference too – I think it’s starting to GEL.

Rant rave rant rave. I MADE A DECISION! yay.
    sorry, a bit excited.

After all – “a double minded man is unstable in all his ways” and once I make a decision it sheds a big load off my mind.

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Sounds like a good solution. Also some good luck with the rental return on IP 1. Take some time out, breath a sigh of relief, sit back and enjoy some peace of mind with your family.

Regards
    Sonja

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by alwayscurious:

Then I will temporarily Park some of the cash in IP 2 (under performing one), spend small amount (under 3K) getting ready for market and sell it once the 12months+1day CGT thing is up. (2 months time)

I DEFINITELY plan to save 20% deposit from now on, I can see that’s a much smarter way to do things.

Hi Always Curious,

Just remember CGT is calculated between the dates the contracts of sale are signed – might be worth a call to your accountant to check on this. Depending upon the various timelines you may be in a position to move sooner rather than later.

I wouldn’t be overly focussed on the need to save a 20% deposit as this can come from other equity. Of more importance is your ability to service the loan under your personal circumstances and I think it is more beneficial and important to consider the overall gearing level of your portfolio rather than an individual property. After all saving a deposit with after tax dollars is a little harder than releasing equity.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Participant
    @alwayscurious

Sonja – to celebrate – we are going to have another child!
    Actually – we were going to have another child anyway. :D

I just wanted to get the mucky situation sorted first.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.