All Topics / Opinionated! / Olympic HEROES?

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

i have lots of heroes and role models i look up too. i think we all have we just dont know it. they are our frames of reference. they greatly affect the way we act/live..

apart from gods (if one has faith) my heros are musicians, writers, some sportsman/woman, philanthropists. mostly they are people who live there lives like how i would imagine that i would like to live mine…

wallflower – can one be ones own hero. good question. probably but i would think that would be a very dangerous position to take. hehe…best let someone else call you a hero i reckon. heros are meant to be humble anyway…

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Can one be one’s own hero? Probably… it’s called a narcissist. From dictionary.com:

1. Excessive love or admiration of oneself. See Synonyms at conceit.
    2. A psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self-esteem.
    3. Erotic pleasure derived from contemplation or admiration of one’s own body or self, especially as a fixation on or a regression to an infantile stage of development.
    4. The attribute of the human psyche charactized by admiration of oneself but within normal limits.

I just think everyone has faults and favours. I guess, for me, it’s the difference between liking the work someone does… and wanting to be that person. So I can read a guru book, and think, “good point”, but it doesn’t put me in awe of the person.

“Good” people do “bad” things, and “bad” people do good things…

Whether someone is a good writer, lover, sportsperson, cook, joke-teller, listener, mountain-climber… I dunno… i just see people as having different skills, and skills are valued differently in society.

I also think some people *seek* to be a hero… I am thinking of those RE seminar gurus who say things like “Look, I don’t have to be here- usually, I get paid $2000 an hour, but I am here because I’ve made a commitment to helping people blah blah…” Basically, someone can tell me what a hero they are, but you can’t command respect- one only gets it if deserved, not because people say how rich, beautiful, or smart they are. I think people talk themselves up when they are insecure.

But i must say I think Ian Thorpe’s done well :o)) I have been thinking though, that he’s lucky to have been in the 400 metre event at all though, given his disastrous fall :o( I wonder if that other young fella could have won that event if he had have taken his own position in that race.

kay henry

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

kay – you are very demanding of your heroes – mine dont have to be perfect. everyone is flawed – even heroes.

my favorite author is tom robins. i like his novels because his heroes are precisiely that – flawed characters who somehow still manage to live life poetically and with courage. despite the fact they may have drinking problems, smoking problems, or any other number of things.

also i think being great at something is more than just having a unique skill. for example being a great writer shows an ability to understand the world, to express what others a re feeling. great writers are great thinkers. its not all about punctuation and grammer.

i agree with you on the guru – respect thing. if your aim in life is to be a guru then that is a worry. if it happens organically (hippy term) then thats when a real longer type message will get through.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

rogue said:

“kay – you are very demanding of your heroes – mine dont have to be perfect. everyone is flawed – even heroes.”

hehe rogue. I said I don’t have heroes. I don’t expect anyone to be perfect. I just like what some people do or say, but I have no gods or gurus.

kay henry

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

each person is a hero within them for trying something new in life – taking a risk, making a dramatic decision, taking the plunge into some new aspect of their life.

A hero can be someone’s God, guru, dad, mum, friend, relative, forumite, a legend of the past, sporting hero, their girl/boy friend, their computer, their bank account, their stocks, a child, a myth, or even a pet. Infact, ask an old person who’s very ill in a Hostel, and he/she’ll tell you that their hero is the Nurse, doctor or even their walking stick…

kind regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I have the UTMOST respect for ambulance personnel.

I recall some 10 yrs ago – it was peak hour traffic on Friday evening in central Melbourne.

The ambulance could not move with the traffic in the traffic with sirens blaring – the ambulance passenger guy got out, went round back, opened the door, got his medical kit and then started running up the road to where he had to go.

At that point in time, everything sort of slowed down for me and I thought that guy is a HERO. Eventhough its his job.

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

WOW Yack – that’s incredible – him goin that extra mile. He could have just sat in the ambulance vehicle and hurled abuse at the drivers infront of him – that’s very inspirational.

regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

i agree about paramedics/ambulance people.

was watching the olympics last night – female kayak event. the aussie girls occupation was paramedic and volunteer firefighter and if you add that to the title olympian – now thats a high achiever!

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

My wife’s a paramedic, so I’m biased, but they are definitely heroes (or heroines)…

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

ur a lucky guy Richmond…hehehehe[biggrin]

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

yeah but she refuses to give me mouth to mouth on request, oh well…

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

hahahah – I thought Id say that but then thought it might be out of line but since you said it first I have a suggestion.

Jump in the Bath and pretend your drowning – hehehehe[biggrin] – does she pump your heart aswell[biggrin]

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.