All Topics / General Property / Managing Portfolio behind scenes cont…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of MarkyMarkMarkyMark
    @markymark

Hi all,
    I wanted to start a discussion on the systems that others have set up to manage their portfolios.

– How do others manage the cash flow? If you have one month where an investment property requires additional funds (rate repairs what ever) do you guys transfer that money from another account or have the additional funds already in your trust/property account.

– I want to set up an autopilot type system. I think it needs these sorts of points,
    – I get all of the information that I need up front
    – the cash flow is managed and handles ups and downs (so im not constantly calculating if the account can cover everything)
    – I have some sort of reporting system. So I can monitor my investments without having to spend hours doing
    – The system is expandable with further investments
    – minimal time is spent on the system

MarkyMark

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

Hi
    This is an idea I have been tossing around for a while, at the moment I only have 1 IP but I think it should work for multiple properties.
    I assume you have separate loan accts for each IP. Each month, put a proportion of your rent(say 5%) into a savings acct (or better still an offset acct of some sort)by automatic transfer. That way you don’t have to think about it too often. Get a computer program like Quicken (or similar) and set it all up as per your bank/loan accts. That way the program mimics the actual fiscal movements. When you have a repair to pay for, take it out of the savings/offset (pay the invoice (keeping the receipt)), then not the transaction on the computer as a transfer from savings to IP”A”. This will credit the loan acct for that IP (on paper) then just make the payment from that acct(again on paper).
    This way you can keep monies saved for unplanned repairs separate, removing the temptation to re-invest it (you may want to set a cap for the acct so any excess can be re-invested). Quicken allows you to print off tax reports etc, so come tax time you can take the reports & receipts to your accountant.
    It may sound complex because I’m not good at describing it in print. If you’re still interested, feel free to PM me & we can talk further.

Regards

Patrick

The dumbest question is the one you don’t ask.

Profile photo of MarkyMarkMarkyMark
    @markymark

Hi Barnsey,
    Thanks for the info. I think im going to spend a bit of time doing some research on this. Your suggestion sounds good, and has helped me to think of a few things that should be considered.

MarkyMark

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Marky,

I know nothing about technicalities and setups etc. What I was gonna contribute is that I pay extra into my IP’s each week, as set up by my Bank. I don’t have an LOC, but I have redraw facility. I guess I can use this if I have extra repairs etc. Always good to have a backup.

kay henry

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia
    Originally posted by MarkyMark:

– How do others manage the cash flow? If you have one month where an investment property requires additional funds (rate repairs what ever) do you guys transfer that money from another account or have the additional funds already in your trust/property account.
    MarkyMark

Hi Marky

All my income from my property is credited to my LOC, and all outgoings debited from the same LOC.
    Any repairs/maintenance is done by my PM so they just add that to the outgoings.
    This has been automatically set up so I don’t even have to look at it.[blink]
    I do quickly check it over monthly when my property manager’s statement and LOC bankstatements come in, to see if they match.

Then I fling the lot (I mean file hehe) into a drawer till taxtime.
    Works well for me!

Celivia

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

MarkyMark,

I set up 2 bank accounts. All the income and expenses from properties and wages go into account No.1 and I try to keep this account at less over $5000. The second account is my saving account where it had higher interest rate on this account. Each month I check my bank accounts, any leave over from account no.1 which is over $5000 will be transfer to account no.2.

Every month there are a lot of rental statements so I check it and compare it to account no.1 if it match then I file it away. Each property have one folder so it is much easier at the end of financial year for tax purpose.

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    “Ask and you will receive. Seek and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.”

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Mark,

Very similar process to that used by a few others.

An account offset against home loan into which we deposit all income. Electronic transfers to the various loan accounts and institutions at the appropriate time and other bills (rates, taxes, insurance, body corporate etc) paid by credit card and paid out at the end of the month.

This way transaction fees are minimised, offset account has maximum funds in it for as long as possible, credit card posints are maximised and everything gets paid on time.

Accounts and receipts are filed in a single lever arch file (with sections for each property) when they come in and are banked/paid. A excel sheet maintains an overview record for my accountant at the end of the financial year. He only has to refer to the file if he needs additional detail.

I also maintain a lever arch file for all other documents for each property. Sectioned off into finance, rental, body corporate, purchasing and misc.

This process works for me – provided I am disciplined enough to attend to the paperwork in a timely manner.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido

I like to torture myself administratively so I have an offset account for each mortgage. Incomes and expenses for each IP goes thru’ the relevant offset account.

This way I can see clearly how it is going easily and the ingoing/outgoings for each property.

You could say its something like a company with departmental cashflow statements.

@markymark

Thanks everyone,
    I sat down and drew few diagrams so I was clear on what each of you were saying.

I think using a 55 days interest free Credit Card for all expenses in conjunction with an offset account is a pretty good idea. Just need to be disciplined.

I have a trust set up and I have a business account for the trust. If I have a personal Credit Card and I am using that to pay expenses for investment property owned by the trust. Then is this mixing it up too much for accounting and is there a tax hit? Particularly if I put income into an offset account?

I have a business and I am so careful not to mix personal with business as you end up in tears [glum] its such a hassle. I have taken the same approach with property investing.

I think I will need to talk to my accountant about this one.

MarkyMark

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by MarkyMark:

If I have a personal Credit Card and I am using that to pay expenses for investment property owned by the trust. Then is this mixing it up too much for accounting and is there a tax hit? Particularly if I put income into an offset account?

Hi Mark,

Not an accountant.

If you have mainatined a good paper trail there shouldn’t be a problem with mixing personal and investment expenses as the purpose of the expenses determines deductibility.

If there is interest incurred on the credit card due to a late payment you will then get into ‘messy maths’ working how much of the interest is deductible and how much isn’t. For the dollars involved I wouldn’t worry about even trying to work this out.

The downside of having an ‘investment’ credit card is that it will impact on your borrowing capacity – something to consider depending upon your situation.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of Ali GAli G
    Participant
    @ali_g

Excuse my ignorance Derek but why would an ‘investment’ credit card impact on your borrowing power? Isn’t this in some ways akin to having a redraw facility? Hmm, maybe not – with a redraw facility you are redrawing your own money I guess…? Or do the banks see it as a credit card with a huge limit?

Confused… but learning! [biggrin]

Thanks for your help!

Ali G

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

Ali G,
    Your credit card limit alters your borrowing power.
    Example:
    You have a disposable income of $500.00 per month.
    You also have a credit card that – when maxed out – has a minimum repayment of $100.00 per month.
    The bank will only loan you money based on $400.00 per month to make sure you can afford their repayments. A lender will always look for the worst case scenario.
    Hope this helps.

Regards

Patrick

The dumbest question is the one you don’t ask.

@markymark

To put it another way,
    Say you have a card with a $9000 limit but you have not used it in any way, so its just sitting there doing nothing (i.e. you do not owe any money on it). The bank will take the full $9000 into account when you apply for a loan.

A Line of credit is different in the way that you are drawing down from existing capital.

MarkyMark

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi

Generally lenders take 3% of the credit card limit as being a monthly expense whether you pay it off in full every month or not.

With a LOC, it is not really existing capital, but a loan each time you take money out-and you can borrow up tot the limit at will. So banks will take the full limit as the borrowings no matter what the balance is.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@markymark

Hi Terry,
    I thought that you needed to have equity in the property in order to get the LOC? There for the LOC is secured against existing capital.

Is it not?

MarkyMark

Profile photo of Ali GAli G
    Participant
    @ali_g

Thanks Barnsey, MarkyMark and Terryw for your replies.

I have also been told in the past that a LOC is secured against existing capital so I am still wondering about this too MarkyMark.

Thanks again – I am learning so much from all of you.

Cheers,

Ali G

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

A LOC is secured, Terry’s point is in relation to how a lending institution would assess a customer applying for finance with an existing LOC, fully drawn or not.

E.g.: $100.000 LOC @ 7.00% 10 year period I/O Repayments = $583.00 per month,

Credit providers calculate serviceability on a proposed loan application using there own specified benchmark rate, this is a rate above the SVR.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:1800 820 500
    VICTORIA

PLEASE note comments made should NOT be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice. Please seek professional, specific advice.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Mark

I would say drawing down capital is using cash (or selling assets etc) from the business. LOC is securred against equity, but it is just the same as borrowing, no different to getting a term loan.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.