All Topics / General Property / RE: The first home buyers grant.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of absolute beginnerabsolute beginner
    Participant
    @absolute-beginner

Is it possible to use the first home buyers grant, to purchase a property for investment (to rent out)?[confused2]

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

no, its the First Home Owners Grant – not the First Investment Property Grant.

Profile photo of MarkyMarkMarkyMark
    @markymark

You can buy the property and then move into it for about 6 months or something and then rent it out. Or you can rent it for up to 12 months after you bought it and then move in for your 6 months. You should always check the accurancy of information you get off a forum, I’d contact the ATO to confirm.

One thing to keep in mind is that even though you cant get the FHOG for an investment property (which I think is pretty fair) you can buy any number of investment properties and still be eligible for the FHOG when you do get around to buying your principal place of residence. As long as you never live in any of your IP’s then you are eligible.

MarkyMark

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

The answers are here:

http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au/first-home-owner-grant.html

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of VaslavVaslav
    @vaslav

you can’t buy IP and then PPOR and claim FHOG. It’s only for your first ever HOME, IP or not.

So you can’t buy heaps of IP, don’t stay in them and then buy a PPOR and stay and claim, u wont get it as you have owned numerous IPs before.

however, u can move in within 12 months to get the FHOG.

There’s no Such thing as No Can’t Do!!!!!

@markymark

Hi Motivstorm,
    You can actually do it. I sent asked the ATO and they confirmed it in an email to me. See extract from email. Check yourself if you want. The ATO are pretty good at getting back to you.

Section 14 (4) of the Act provides that an applicant is eligible for the grant if the applicant or the applicant’s spouse has, on or after 01 July2000, held a relevant interest in residential property in Australia, which was not used at any time as the residence of the applicant or the applicant’s spouse.

Cheers,

MarkyMark

Don’t make any investment decisions based on the content of this post. I am not giving advice. Check for yourself with the ATO.

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage
    Originally posted by Motivstorm:

you can’t buy IP and then PPOR and claim FHOG. It’s only for your first ever HOME, IP or not.

So you can’t buy heaps of IP, don’t stay in them and then buy a PPOR and stay and claim, u wont get it as you have owned numerous IPs before.

The above is incorrect,

If you have not purchased a property before the 1St July 2000, you will be eligible to purchase an investment property, and still apply for the FHOG when you purchase your owner occupied property.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:1800 820 500
    VICTORIA

PLEASE note comments made should NOT be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice. Please seek professional, specific advice.

@markymark

Hey Mobile Mortgage,
    I think we both wrote that post at exactly the same time. I think that I pressed the “Post” button 2 seconds earlier than you. [cap]

Care for another race? [biggrin]

Just joking.

Markymark

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Snap,[biggrin]

Markymark, well done on doing your due diligence regarding the FHOG, Cheers.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:1800 820 500
    VICTORIA

PLEASE note comments made should NOT be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice. Please seek professional, specific advice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.