All Topics / Help Needed! / New Laptop- any help?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Hi All,

Just purchashed a Toshiba laptop (512, and 60GB)DVD CD-RW, for personal (looking for IP’s, recording current IP data etc) and business.

Windows XP Pro installed to date, any suggestions from everyone on programs to install, Free or Otherwise that would be helpfull?

Prob Picking up Nortron Antivirus today.

Any helpfull ideas or suggestions appreciated from the computer Guru’s[biggrin]

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of jsandsojsandso
    @jsandso

Hi Redwing,

I would recommend AVAST Antivirus instead Norton, it’s free for personal use and works well. You can get it from http://www.avast.com/

You may want to install Excel for all your little spreadsheets.

just my 2 cents

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

You can download any program for free from kaaza sort of program if you want to. check download.com site for freeware.

Cheers
    PropertyGuRu
    [sultan]

Mortgage Consultant

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hey Redwing,

– You made agood choice – Toshiba is rated as the best brand – but then again its all in the brand name.

– When u purchased the laptop, the seller should include Norton AntiVirus 2004 for you for free. I think its a good one to use as it has automatic updates.

– I recommend using MS Office 2000 instead of 2003 as the latest version has errors and bugs that haven’t been fixed yet.

– Do you know if it has built in wireless, has an S-Output for external devices as TV or infrared?

– I don’t want to tell you of any programs to download cause you’ll end up filling your Hard Drive with alot of junk you wont use. howver, if u come up with something, simply go to http://www.download.com – its all Free there.

Hey, if u dont mind, Id like to know the deal u got on it as I want to upgrade my laptop – u can PM me.

anyway, hope that helps

kind regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Well I would suggest you download Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    It contains all the fixers for Windows to date, plus a few more updates and features.

Another recommendation is Firefox. Firefox is an ultra cool browser; Go here for the download: http://www.mozilla.org/
    Just FYI – Mozilla contains an email application (called thunderbird) and a browser (firefox). Both are free and are very good (try tabbed browsing! just press ‘Ctrl+Tab’).

As for anti virus, I would suggest you either get AVAST or AVG. Both are free! And are updated regulary.

Go here for a copule more apps.
    http://forums.speedlabs.org/index.php/topic,164.0

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Redwing,

if your gonna download kazaa, get the kazaa lite version, reasoning behind this is, gets rid of the spyware, and ad pop up, but make sure you virus scan everything you download from kazaa…

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hey Redwing again,

Good idea from Lucifer to download Windows XP Service Pack 2 but MS always comes up with updates for Windows so I would suggest not to wait till they release a Service Pack.

Set it on Automatic Windows Update – this way, every time you connect to the Internet, it will download the latest files and patches – it will ask you to confirim the download and installation first – I have this option set – I belive its the most efficient and effective method for updates.

kind Regards,
    George

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Congratulation on getting a LapTop,

I suggest you send it over to me to get it sorted out for a couple of weeks [blink], I mean months :).

What I normaly do is download http://www.grisoft.com FREE antivirus software and set it to run auto every day. But since you got Norton that’s probably alright ( lot of people using that).

I download Yahoo Instant Messenger and instal it, it has many features that you can use and are handy. For instance it gives stock market alerts(rings a bell if your shares go up or down). Have it send your weather erport every day to your email box, chat, radio stations (make your own private one!). It also; once you actauly sign up for messenger, which it totally free [but there is pay services you can use] gives you a yahoo ID so that you can use yahoo email, so then you just use yahoo web based email instead of outlook and can check your email anywhere, net cafe’s, someone elses home etc! And Yahoo Messenger is programed magnificantly.

I instal a auto passord remembering software free at http://www.gator.com/home2.html , this loggs you into sites, if you have lot’s that you log into and over a few years you tend to forget what passords you used. This remembers them.

You can go into your browser on your other PC and import your old bookmarks and put the file on a floppy disk and then take it over to your Laptop and import the file into your favorites, then misteriously your favourites will all be in your LapTop.

And don’t forget to download the LapPack Calculator http://www.Jaffasoft.com/property/LapPack.zip

Good luck with it…

Profile photo of Ali GAli G
    Participant
    @ali_g

Hey Redwing,

myself and a number of people I know use the AVG Free Edition also and it seems to catch all the nasties! There are plenty of free programs to choose from really – don’t feel compelled to pay for one because odds are that you are not getting anything better anyway. See:

http://www.grisoft.com

Good luck!

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Great Info and Tip’s guy’s..[biggrin]

At work at the moment, i’ll print this out and take home and start setting up tonight.

Geo.. for some reason no Norton 30 day trail on it? I’ll get the spec’s and send to you, i went the Flexirent path for tax reasons as well as others.

Jaffa- don’t worry your’s will be one of the first on there.

No Excel on the computer, i’m used to getting my PC’s 2nd hand, with everything on them. Not having Office etc has thrown me a bit [upsidedown]

As for Kazaa..i remember Melbear recommending Kazaa lite also a while back. Not to interested in recieving viruses or Worms[satan]Think tucows is also like Kazaa.

Many thanks…any more?

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

Might I also suggest:

Adaware SE – http://www.lavasoft.de
    Spybot – http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    Zone Alarm – http://www.zonelabs.com

Will help stop, along with Mozilla mentioned above, bugs and nasties making their way onto your computer.

I’ll also put in a vote for AVG Antivirus. Free, and has picked up a few virus’ from emails trying to infect my computer.

And all windows updates necessary.

Hope this helps

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of Supa FreakSupa Freak
    @supa-freak

Hi Redwing, i bought the academic version of MS Office, my friend is a teacher and all she did was show her teachers credentials and it cost around $250.00 compared to $1000.00. I have the 2002 version and it works like a treat

Participant
    @redwing

I’ve put AVGvirus scan on, plus spybot and BlackIce to date. plus signed onto yahoo messenger as i have a yahoo e-mail address anyhow.. loking good so far.

i’ll have to go and get MS office

REDWING

Profile photo of Ali GAli G
    Participant
    @ali_g

redwing, if you got the Spybot that I know of it tends to be quite out of date. You get very infrequent updates with this. Try downloading Ad-aware instead. It seems to be more up to date. The link has already been posted in this topic.

Ali G

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

Ali G – I recommend both Adaware and Spybot be installed. Sometimes one will pick up something where the other won’t.

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Redwing
    I’d have to agree with Myydral. My broadband with IE & XP Home Edition is online all the time, so I’m a constant target, so I know what keeps the nasties out, and doesn’t conflict with other programs.(Thought I did anyway).Malware intrusion is getting worse by the day. For product tests, good one to see is PCWorld Mag August 04 edition.
    I’ve had a combo of Norton Antivirus 2003, ZoneAlarm Pro, and Spybot running without a single problem for 9 months, but, yesterday, I ran 2 new anti spyware programs and they picked up plenty of malware, backdoor doorstops holding open ports for god know who, keyloggers getting info on my passwords and bank accounts . . . . here’s me sitting here all smug thinking all’s well because these programs are showing nil on daily scans. The new ones are
    Webroot Spysweeper
    Adware Away.
    Both have trials but I bought them immediately after the first sweeps uncovered so much “scumware”. Now I run the lot every morning and do the daily updates of the definitions and programs.
    Hope it all works for you.
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Participant
    @redwing

Broadbands allways a target.

we have our internet computer as a laptop at work on broadband, however, nothing else connected.

we have our own server for the office PC’s to network, and all e-mails etc done on the laptop- safer this wayfor ‘sensitive information’

My dial-up seems to be working OK so far..

thanks for all the info guy’s keep it coming

REDWING

@still-in-school

Hi Redwing,

just noted you said you have BlackIce, IMHO get rid of that program, thats a hackers program to break into other programs, ive seen mates use it, (the worm or virus, that BlackIce, cant detect is Subzero) (if i recall right), best to stick with the suggested programs above, will post link about BlackIce when found…

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

Participant
    @redwing

Still in School..

BlackIce came with australian PC magazine ?

Hope it’s OK???

REDWING

@still-in-school

Hi Redwing,

honestly get rid of blackice, it was good for some time, but theres a virus or worm called Subzero, it allows remote computers to attack your computer, steal your ip, and then access other computers for them, its almost impossible to get rid of subzero worm/virus once you got it, but blackice was initally created by hackers, i know this, but i cant find the weblinks…

just posting to a friend now in astalavista.com (hacker forums) about blackice and subzero, will post links when found, but stick with the zone alarm, definetly much secure for variety of reasons.

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.