All Topics / Finance / equity in home but on a pension HELP please?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of wanting morewanting more
    @wanting-more

Hi everyone,
    this is my first posting so please excuse me should I make any mistakes and thanks also for this opportunity.
    My husband is on a disabilty pension and I am on a carers payment. We have $200,000 equity in our own home and still have a morgage. We would love to be able to get off the pension and be able to support ourselves. We have been thinking of an investment property for long term and gradually buy more. Our initial problem is that any rent we receive is not sufficent to pay off the loan repayments. We have looked at very cheap units of under $90,000 and still we need to find $50 a week that we just don’t have. Is there anyone out there who may have suggestions for us please? We would love to be able to get off the merry go round, maybe someone on the forum site has been through our problem and been able to overcome the obstacles. any assistance will be greatly valued. Thanks

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

If you have $200k equity, then by my calculations you should be able to sell your current home, buy a cheap unit for $90k and have no loan repayments and $110k in your hand.

Invest that $110k at 8.5%, and you will have $179.80 a week earned interest extra on top of pension.

Or buy a house thats a bit nicer until the balance left over comes in under the maximum you are allowed to earn in addition to your allowances.

I think there was a recent post on how centrelink treat assets and income….do a search.[drummer]

lifexperience

Profile photo of wanting morewanting more
    @wanting-more

Many thanks for the reply..
    Hmm well thats a different way of looking at it.AND the house is getting too big for us, so this could possibly be a good way of starting fresh..I will do a search like you suggested as well…thanks again…

@lifex

Here is a link I found after searching for “centrelink” in “help needed” section.

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/12087/1.html

Hope this helps[daisy]

lifexperience

@wanting-more

thank you once again, I have been there and read through and there is some very useful information. I just hope the gentleman by the name of Marc who works for Cenrelink reads my question – he appears to have all the answers…thanks again[biggrin]

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Marc is a very approachable guy. If you want to contact him directly just click on the e-mail or PM icons at the bottom of his post and ask away. I am sure he won’t mind. I was aware that he had a comprehensive knowledge of Centrelink policies but didn’t know he actually worked there.

I wish you the best of luck and have no doubt that there are a range of options available to you. There are lenders that will count Centrelink payments as income. I have been told that you are in an even better position if you want to borrow less than 65% of the property value. A good mortgage broker will help you with this side of things – as luck would have it there are a few on this site. Again feel free to contact them directly, that is why their details are there.

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Hi there!
    I think the responses given make a lot of sense.

You must remember that equity does not mean capital unless you sell, so when you can probably find a lender, you will end up with your own home debt plus an investment property debt.

Unless you can find positively geared properties, you will have purchased a liability and not an income producing asset.

To buy an income producing asset, you will have to minimise the debt. Some years ago you could have found properties cheap enough to service the debt and give you some income. With today’s prices such properties still exist, but are in more remote places that imply a higher risk. This risk can be assumed by someone with a larger portfolio of properties, or a high income that will offset any hiccups, i.e. tenants leaving, repairs etc.

So what is left, (if your choice of escaping the pension is property investment) is to borrow a smaller amount, the closer to 50% the better.
    From what you say, it is only possible if you realise your equity by selling and buying a smaller flat for yourself.

This is easier said than done, and it implies a large amount of expenses, to sell and to buy.
    Do your homework with diligence, write it all down, ask many questions.
    Remember that RE agents are not your friends, even when they may like to be seen that way. You are on your own, and perhaps a mortgage broker will be more on your side than the agent or any bank manager.

There are some very good mortgage brokers on this web site that I am sure can crunch the numbers for you.

Regarding the impact of such actions on your and your husband’s pension, this are the (June) figures:

To still remain entitled to full pension you can have combined assets of $212,500
    For part pension less than $473,000
    This is adding all up, your home content, car, money in the bank and properties that are not your own home.
    You could (I am not saying you do this, I say you could) sell your property and invest all the equity in properties that will give you hopefully some 6 to 8 % return, your threshold will subsequently increase to $320,500 since you will be considered “non-home owner” and you will probably but not necessarily qualify for rent assistance.

Having said all this, I will try to say something totally different and hope it may be of some help and not offend.

Contrary to popular wisdom, people who make it in business, and become independent financially, do not arrive at that position because they have “inside information”, and therefore, by asking for the right financial tips we will be able to emulate their achievements.

Our financial position is predetermined in our mind by our belief system. Each one of us has a financial blue print that predetermines how much we allow ourselves to earn a week.

It is such limiting believes that allow us to make it or to fail, and the familiar pattern of our actions we ourselves know all too well, repeats itself over and over.
    One definition of madness could be, to do the same things we have always done yet expect a different outcome.

When I myself, learned of the existence of our subconscious mind and the role it plays in our success or the lack of it, I was surprised to find in my subconscious, values that others had planted there over the course of many years.

Perhaps the sentence I have repeated the most is the following fallacy: “Rich is evil poor is virtuous”. We get hammered this deadly concept in our mind from birth, from parents, teachers, priests, friends and work mates. The result is a belief that success in any field we may choose is for the “nerds”, the dishonest, the up-themselves, the snob, and a barrage of other derogatory adjectives we have incorporated as synonyms of rich and successful.

It is such negative programming, among many other factors that can determine that every effort we take to escape the rut is met with failure, a failure we secretly expect in order to demonstrate to ourselves and others, how honest and virtuous we really are as opposed to those evil rich people. (Remember Dallas?)

Now if you read this far, and I hope you did, I would suggest that before you even talk to an RE agent, you sit down and examine yourself, and prepare yourself for success. Just like you wouldn’t think of running a marathon without training including mental preparation, I suggest you get yourself into gear by first understanding how your mind work and why it is that you are in financial difficulties.
    That’s right, I am convinced that because we bear the full responsibility of our current state, we also have the full power of turning it around.

When some people do get all worked up and offended by this words, particularly when there are health concerns, since we have been told for centuries that illness has to do with chance, genes, or bad luck but nothing to do with us, I hope that you can give this proposition a chance and use a cool mind. If all that happens to us is due to external factors, we are doomed. Nothing is under our control and we may as well not get up in the morning.
    Yet…if I am right, that means you are in control and not fate. Isn’t that exciting?

So first things first, use other people’s experience to get ready for success. I will suggest some books, and hopefully others on this site will suggest other books. Remember that it is not about what to do with your home, sell buy rent, but how you can change your financial blue print, your mental picture of the income that suits you.

Search for the following free e-books
    As a man thinketh, ( Jon Allan)
    Think and grow rich ( Napoleon Hill)
    Accept your abundance (Randy Gage)

I hope my post will be of some assistance in your journey towards success and financial freedom.

The vision that you glorify in your mind, the ideal that you enthrone in your heart, this you will build your life by, this you will become.
    James Allen

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

@lifex

Marc1,

When I myself, learned of the existence of our subconscious mind and the role it plays in our success or the lack of it, I was surprised to find in my subconscious, values that others had planted there over the course of many years.

This is something I am also unhappy about. If it weren’t for these little anti-values, I would have my own shiny red hover shoes…<gazes off dreamily>

[drummer]

lifexperience

@wanting-more

Hi Mark,
    Many thanks for the time you have spent answering my query. I really appreciate your time. Firstly I am not offended by any means, I am in shock that you know me so well from an email[blush2]. I am currently reading Dr Phill’s book SELF MATTERS – creating your life from the inside out.Time to stop asking what if? and finally make things happen.Wow some pretty heavy stuff for me to get my head around.[confused2]
    I thank you once again for your time and I will let you know more of what I am thinking within a few days.
    A special Thank you to Sonja as well for her asistance and encouragement.[biggrin]
    talk soon
    Wanting More- you bet!

Profile photo of Ali GAli G
    Participant
    @ali_g

Cheers Marc for a thoughtful post.

I also subscribe to some of Napoleon Hill’s ideas. I have a quote of his up next to my desk:

Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve.

Marc’s right – decide what it is you want to do, how to best manage your strategy in getting there, and also how to manage the way you would normally respond to these types of ideas. Do your best to ignore the doomsayers who will no doubt try to hold you back. (Let me clarify that, listen to them but if you know that you have dealt with whatever negative scenario they give you, learn to brush off their constant negative input – how much have they researched what it is that you set out to do?)

All the best with it – I am sure you will find the best solution.

Ali G

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Whew Marc, Great post.

What about ‘The Richest Man in Babylon’?
    I often think of the messages in this classic and especially the great walls that protected this ancient city. Also I think, the second chapter titled, ‘Set thy purse to fattening’

Purse

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Well, “wanting more”, time to change your name.

You do no longer “want” a term of unfulfilled desire, set in an uncertain future never to come.

What about:
    “Have more”
    “Blessed one”
    “Abundant”
    Share the blessings”
    “Paying it forward”
    [biggrin]
    Another book to add to your list,
    (this is not free, some $25):
    The One Minute Millionaire, by Mark Hansen and Robert Allen.

Have you written down your goals in minute detail and in the present tense?
    Do you read them 3 times a day?
    Do you act and talk as if you have already succeeded?

… To fly as fast as thought, to anywhere that is, you must begin by knowing that you have already arrived . . . . … Richard Bach, in his book Jonathan Livingston Seagull

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

@wanting-more

hmmm do u think one minute millionaire is ok for my new name, I’d prefer that one ;-)
    I do agree with you I am just trying to change it now..
    i have tried to get the free e-books and they just will not accept me for some reason, but not to be deterred I have been to the library site and requested them there. The person who has to deal with my orders at the library will think she is dealing with a real high flyer as I have about 12 on request now, including the ones you recommended and Anita Bells… thank you again

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.