All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice needed please…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of cherubcherub
    Participant
    @cherub

Hey guys,

Need a bit of advice please –

Im looking at a unit for around the 95k mark, which is currently leased by a Lodge – and as such the ad claims “a guaranteed” 525 rent return p/month until at least dec 2006.

So the Lodge leases the unit out on a short term basis to its customers.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

This will be my first IP, so I need some help!!!

Thanks,

Cherub [biggrin]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Cherub,

While there is a degree of attraction in rental guarantees you will need to ensure that the sale prices reflects the wider market. It is not unusual for rental guarantees to be funded by a higher sale price and as such you could well be funding yourself.

You will also need to find out who provides the guarantee – I have seen guarantees provided by insurance companies (HIH in one case) and by $2 shelf companies. Don’t let the ‘security’ of the guarantee seduce you.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of cherubcherub
    Participant
    @cherub

Thank for the reply Derek,

I went to see the place this afternoon. Basically the complex is a budget motel – and each of the units/flats are individually owned. A national motel chain leases them from the owners. Its just off the Great Eastern Highway, which is the main route from the Airport (not far away) to Perth city.

I dont see much capital growth though, and borrowing 80% of the purchase price @ 90k, its not +ve geared, so Im starting to think its not such a great idea.

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

As I have touched on in earlier posts, “guarantees” are generally nothing more than a marketing ploy.

You are likely to find there is no solid “guarantee” due to the developer/lessor/guarantor having an out-clause or contingency to protect their interest.

If there is no out-clause or otherwise, then I would avoid the deal because the party promoting the guarantee is open to debt/liability issues which may lead to their downfall and any guarantee becoming null and void.

— Michael

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Cherub,

The way rent guarantees can be guaranteed is by increasing the purchase price.

So you are paying for the property PLUS the rental.

Generally short-term rental properties have higher management fees & costs (more management required). Vacancy rates can be significantly higher & more dependent on the business or tourism cycle than standard rentals. Granted rentals are generally higher while the place is tenanted.

Read all the fine print before you make a decision!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

– Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

these sorts of places are very hard to get finance too and this will hinder resales and effect values. I would not consider one of these deals myself.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.